Husqvarna chainsaw

Help Support CattleToday:

I broke down and finally bought a real chainsaw; a Husky 460 Rancher, with a 24" bar.

Anyone have any opinions or experiences?
I have owned a couple just like it with the 24" bar and all. They compare to the Stihl ms291 and Echo cs590. A full skip chain on the 24" bar, especially when buried works good. I had one completely apart I bought as a parts saw and made a runner out of it. They are a well ported engine like all Husqvarna's and will turn in the 13000 rpm range tached. Any questions I know the saw well like most saws. lol

Use a good 2 stroke oil with pure gas and when not in use for any length of time pour the gas out and let idle dry. The carb takes three hands to get back on if it needs a kit.

Last edited:
I've wondered about "idle until it's dry". Makes sense. All small engines I have, I use super unleaded. Ethanol destroys engines, IMO. I even use super unleaded in my lawnmower, lol

I've wondered about "idle until it's dry". Makes sense. All small engines I have, I use super unleaded. Ethanol destroys engines, IMO. I even use super unleaded in my lawnmower, lol
If you pour the gas out it does not get it out of the carb or fuel lines, etc. Letting the saw idle until it dies gets most fuel out and limits damage storage can cause over time. Even then fuel lines, filters, intake boots, impulse lines, oil seals, carb diaphragms and needles will deteriorate over time and need replaced.

The reason I say let idle dry because when a saw is running out of gas it causes a lean condition (air fuel mixture off) and reviving can cause extra heat which can score the cylinder and piston.

If you pour the gas out it does not get it out of the carb or fuel lines, etc. Letting the saw idle until it dies gets most fuel out and limits damage storage can cause over time. Even then fuel lines, filters, intake boots, impulse lines, oil seals, carb diaphragms and needles will deteriorate over time and need replaced.

The reason I say let idle dry because when a saw is running out of gas it causes a lean condition (air fuel mixture off) and reviving can cause extra heat which can score the cylinder and piston.
If I use True Fuel on the last tank of the day, is it still recommended to empty the tank and idle until dry?

BTW, that Jonsered saw you recommended a couple of years ago still runs great and is just as good as my Sthils.

If I use True Fuel on the last tank of the day, is it still recommended to empty the tank and idle until dry?

BTW, that Jonsered saw you recommended a couple of years ago still runs great and is just as good as my Sthils.
From my experience the pure gas will not break down the internal parts as fast as the ethanol gas, but will still do some damage. My main Stihl weed eater (maybe 5 years old) has never had ethanol gas in it and I have left gas in it way too long several times. It became hard to start, did not idle like it should and performance went down. I took the carb off and checked the internal parts. The diaphragm was stiff and the needle tip was getting deformed. I put a new kit in and it runs like new. Ethanol gas left in would have done this damage in one year.

I recently refurbished 2 Husqvarna 350 s with one putting a 346xp cylinder/piston kit on that are similar to your Jonsered . Trigger response and chain speed on those are fast.

A 346XP is the best all around/ truck saw ever made IMO. Only complaint I have is could maybe be easier to start and the oiler should be better because that chain is fast! Always my go to saw for anything less than 20" in diameter.

Good saws, i prefer stihl but once you get the husqvana started it holds its own.
I did a ton of research before buying. Everything I read said that Stihl and Husky are about the same quality wise, but stihls were harder to get parts for. I did my background checking before spending $600 on a saw. I don't use a chainsaw enough to justify spending what "commercial" saws cost..

I checked my current inventory and I have 6 460 s the Stihl version, have had several more before.

nUJeerb.jpg

Here is my favorite 460 very low hours.

sN5YIzW.jpg

I keep several projects going as here is 6 MS170s when I get time will be good nice runners...

9jvP8BQ.jpg

Last edited:
A 346XP is the best all around/ truck saw ever made IMO. Only complaint I have is could maybe be easier to start and the oiler should be better because that chain is fast! Always my go to saw for anything less than 20" in diameter.
I have owned several of the OE and NE 346xp s. Usually a new carb kit helps with starting and they are rated at around 14500 on tach speed, very fast.

Last edited:

Latest posts