Husky and muskeg

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I put this on Ranchers but thought some of you would like to see it too.
Hubby sent these to me yesterday they are in Rainbow Lake Alberta and the only way they could get to the lease through the mud and muskeg was to be pulled in by these Husky's.
They move in the middle of the night while there is still some frost in the ground and the Husky drags the units across. The Husky sinks down quite far and hubby said that the tracks are so deep that they come up to his shoulders .
I hope they got out for good last night or they will not get out at all because the frost is almost out of the ground until next winter. It would be very costly to have 2 wireline units stuck there for 6 months..

Just thought I would share ,maybe a blast from the past for some of you and something new for others. :)

Husky
Apr26_0002.jpg

Dragging Wireline unit
Apr26_0009.jpg

OK if you came down to Texas you probably would not understand some of the terminolgy we use either, so what is muskeg , husky and wireline, my question is what is their job and what are they doing with that equipment, Thanks

Sorry Cowboy, Muskeg is an acidic soil type common in Arctic and boreal areas, although it is found in other northern climates as well. Muskeg is more-or-less synonymous with bogland but muskeg is the standard term in non-Atlantic Canada and Alaska (while bog is more common elsewhere). BTW Rainbow lake is in very northern Alberta

Husky is the name of the big machine that is dragging all the equipment in, it's tracks make it more or less float across the muskeg.

Wireline is what the oilfield unit is , they are a perforating and logging company that deals mostly with natural gas wells. They go with or before the drilling rig does. They usually log the wells to find the gas and how much pressure there is on a hole..there is way more to it but I am oilfield stupid..

Here is a link as to some of the mishaps that occur and the roads that have to be travelled on to get to location so oil and gas can be drilled for.
http://www.menoutdoors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7432

cowboy43":crgaa6zo said:
OK if you came down to Texas you probably would not understand some of the terminolgy we use either, so what is muskeg , husky and wireline, my question is what is their job and what are they doing with that equipment, Thanks

These were very good questions. I would have asked if you hadn't although I knew about the bog. I asked that of a Canadian on the boards a good while back.

That husky piece of equipment is impressive.

Latest posts