hurt young bull

Help Support CattleToday:

snickers

Reaction score
we have a 1 1/2 yr old bull that we put out with 8 cow's and one of them was extremly tall and he hurt his back leg trying to mount her, he couldn't hardly put any weight on his right leg/hip and he laid down most of the time. we penned him up and he got better so we put him out with the cow's again and now he's breeding them ok no problem but they are coming back in heat and I don't know if he could of hurt reproductive tract or testes? we did have one heifer that got a urinary tract infection and she was one that he breed maybe she gave him something? has nayone else had any problem like this before?

Its very likely that the young bull either had footrot or a secondary infection as a result of the injury (although I still believe the injury is unlikely in a 18 month old bull to begin with). The fever he had because of footrot or any other infection causes sperm death and temporary infertility for up to 3 months later although it seldom lasts longer than 2 months. Have a BSE done on him for peace of mind or in the worst case scenario a timely warning of what to expect.

the bull didn't have footrot or any injury that was obvious, he either pulled a groin or had some kind of hip dislocation there was never a fever. the heifer just happen to have a urinary infection and our vet said it may have come from the bull being dirty for whatever reason. we treated the heifer and she seems to be fine now. we know this bull breed two cow's early on and they did not come back in heat and now after the injury to leg/hip the breeding doesn't seem to stick and that's my question has anyone had a bull to injure theirself and not be any good after that? I guess I confused you sorry.

YES - we had a bull that injured his stifle. He'd lay off trying to beed for a while and appear sound, but as soon as he started trying to mount them again, he'd be crippled again. GREATLY reduced the number of early calves as he was only able to cover a cow or two before his injury would flair up.

You asked the vet about the heifer.... Did you not let the vet examine the bull that was hurt? Im guessing you didnt by the way you are guessing at his injury. If not why would you have one heifer checked and not have the one animal responsible for all your calves getting here checked? If you did have him checked what did the vet say about his injury?

Circle H Ranch

CAttleman200 is right. It's really worth asking the vet to take a look. When we took our bull mentioned above, he barely got off the trailer and the vet could tell what the injury was and the chances were slim of him ever recovering enough to make a reliable breeder. Your bull, especially if he's the only one, is too important to your operation to wait around for him.

actually the vet didn't come to the farm to check the heifer he dx over the phone and prescribed meds that way, and we rented a bull to replace the injured bull . since he recovered within two weeks and wasn't showing any signs of limping or problems we didn't think the vet was necessary. Apparently we should have had the dr to come over.

Sounds very much like our situation. I'd go ahead and make an appointment with the vet so you'll know if you can keep your bull til he recovers or need to shop around for a new one. Sorry about all your trouble. Makes me sick when things like that happen, but they're gonna happen.

yeah we do too! we are a small farm with only 12 cow's and 3 heifers and they are really kind of like pets. I know you shouldn't love your cow's, but we do. they all have name's and it is really difficult to cull one when need be. I really wish I had enough money and space to buy all the old cow's and just let them have a nice resting place till they expire. lol

snickers":h636i2wm said:
yeah we do too! we are a small farm with only 12 cow's and 3 heifers and they are really kind of like pets. I know you shouldn't love your cow's, but we do. they all have name's and it is really difficult to cull one when need be. I really wish I had enough money and space to buy all the old cow's and just let them have a nice resting place till they expire. lol

Sounds like "LA LA" land to me. :cowboy:

"LA LA" land or not, we have a mixed herd no registered cows here. We sell our calves to a sale barn and always get top dollar and people always tell us how nice our calves look. We have our cow's just because we love it and enjoy them and there's nothing wrong with that.

snickers":3flpsv0r said:
"LA LA" land or not, we have a mixed herd no registered cows here. We sell our calves to a sale barn and always get top dollar and people always tell us how nice our calves look. We have our cow's just because we love it and enjoy them and there's nothing wrong with that.

I totally agree with this. 8)

Latest posts