Hurt fetlock joint- charolais bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

aubridges

Reaction score
Need some advice. Kept back this Bull Calf for a possible replacement. He is currently injured in his hind leg (fetlock joint-ankle)---the best way to explain it, is he seems to of hyperextended it back and now it has a ton of give. He has a slight limp and he pops it up when he walks. I currently have him stalled. What else can be done, if anything? I haven't taken him to the vet yet. Any advice would help!

How big is this calf? How old is he? can you get a picture?

If he has any value to you, I would take him to the vet, or have the vet out to look...

10893562_10153524377307538_1712213354_n.jpg

10917694_10153524377772538_617478343_n.jpg

Its been wet recently, so I apologize for the picture quality. This isn't the best picture as he isn't placing even weight on his other hind leg (the good leg). We haven't noticed any abnormalities within the hock. We weaned him and he got out into the pasture with some open cows- assuming he injured it trying to mount.This happened before it was wet.

So is he over flexing on his back left fetlock (long bone between the pastern and hoof)? I would say you are right; he likely injured it chasing cows around. If that is the case, sounds like pulled ligaments, which most likely will never heal completely.
Is he in pain?
Do a search for hyperextended pastern in horses. Please, keep us updated on the outcome, and good luck.

In the picture its his right fetlock- which I relate to a human ankle/wrist (joint right above the hoof). When he goes to apply pressure the joint has more give. Although, with kinetic chains something could very well be wrong in the Hock as well. I'm thinking its a ligament injury as well. Sorry, I find it hard to describe without you looking at him walk. As far as pain, I don't believe it bothers him too much- he has a slight limp. I was thinking it wouldn't hurt to go to a reputable Large Animal Vet and get their opinion.

If I am understanding your description correctly, the fetlock joint drops toward the ground when he puts weight on it?
I have seen a horse with a severed tendon do that. The fetlock would drop clear to the ground. (Much more severe than what your bull has going on.) I have also had the ligament cut surgically on a foal, to create a subtle release and drop. (Heals very well with rest.)

I agree that a pulled tendon or a torn ligament could be good possibilities by what you describe. Let us know what the vet says.

Yes, that's exactly what happens. Although the drop is very subtle, you can notice a slight difference between the good and bad joint in a stance and as he walks. It's enough to cause a limp.

We don't have any luck treating tendons around here. Had to take a bull and cow to the sale because of pulled tendons through the years. Is the fetlock, pastern swelled up? Both of our animals had swelling and we treated them with LA 300. Then we had a withdrawal time before we could sell them.

Cattle most definitely have their size and weight against them, when it comes to healing structures in the legs.
As with a cow that I had injured a while back, I did a long course of aspirin boluses to decrease inflammation and kept her penned up for a month or so. She eventually recovered. But she did stay laying down a lot. Only up to eat and drink.

I would venture to say, that a bull would easily re-injure themselves with mounting activity if they are confirmation-ally at risk. ie. straight in the back legs ect. After speaking with the vet, you will have to weigh that risk.

Let us know what your vet says......

aubridges":30ojnwy7 said:
In the picture its his right fetlock- which I relate to a human ankle/wrist (joint right above the hoof). When he goes to apply pressure the joint has more give. Although, with kinetic chains something could very well be wrong in the Hock as well. I'm thinking its a ligament injury as well. Sorry, I find it hard to describe without you looking at him walk. As far as pain, I don't believe it bothers him too much- he has a slight limp. I was thinking it wouldn't hurt to go to a reputable Large Animal Vet and get their opinion.

I have a big ole heavy Gelbvieh cow with the same problem, her left rear PASTERN joint will get lame and pop like that sometimes. It's not a fatal flaw in her case but if it was a reoccurring injury in a bull it could cost you a lot of calves. He might get over it but I would not trust it to not reoccur when he is working hard later on.

Latest posts