Hurt Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I have a rather large bull maybe I let him get too large but he seems to hurt himself not sure if was him trying to breed or whatever but hes a B.A. bull that weighs a ton literally atleast and hes hopping around and unsteady on all 4 feet I called vet who will come out in the morning and check him out. Has anyone ever had similar situation ? :help:

Symptoms sound like staggers. Does he fall down? An unusual time of year (here anyway) for staggers (grass tetany/hypomagnesmia) but it's been an odd year too. You have any grasses that are just growing like mad in his pasture? Fertilized the pasture he is in? Any of the cows acting odd?
If it is tetany, you don't have much time.

Na I havent fertilized yet. I don't know what happened he doesn't fall if hes standing still hes fine but he limps really bad. The cows are fine nothing weird with them calves growing like weeds its just him. I think he hurt hisself breeding I looked all over for groundhog holes or anything like that he could hurt himself on but nothing.

he was not that big when I got him and him being on tons of grass hes gotten huge as he doesnt have alot to breed to keep him somewhat trimmed down. My old bull I loaned him out for breeding and he lost weight or stayed basically the same this one has only been here never went to any other farms to breed and just has blown up.

Bulls are genetically programmed to hit a certain size whether they have "tons of grass" or not. Keeping him thin is not helping your cow herd as a huge bull will make huge replacements. Any bull worth his salt should be able to carry his weight in full flesh, especially on pasture. I think you should pay more attention to your bull purchases in relation to your future cattle. Just something to think about.

I bought this bull from Wehrman Angus in which I think is a reputable outfit maybe its me being paranoid about his weight but he has definately packed on some serious lbs.

My question would be reputable for what??? I see you on here a lot, I would hope you are not purchasing on "reputation" only?

There is alot of guys I have spoken too in my area that have some of there bulls as well went and saw the bulls on the property and they showed me birth weights and calf progress and haven't had any issues and I liked the way the bull looked when I checked it out and his temperment so I purchased it. The vet came out and looked at him didn't say anything about his weight said he felt as though with all the rain he could have slipped or something or just stepped in low spot and hurt his joint and gave it some meds said he will be back in 2 weeks.