Hurry (Warning! Not a pretty picture)

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
She's had this string of stuff hanging out of her for a couple of days now. She's not actually due until the 14th. :???: She's the last one, so I keep hoping she'll go ahead and get that calf on the ground.

HammerTools003.jpg

Looks like mucus discharge and that is not a problem. As long as it doesn't look like cleaning or amniotic tissue, don't worry about it. You could palpate her to check for sure if she is dilated or the calf is working through the cervix.

My cow looked like that last year weeks before she calved. Never was a problem but I know what you mean by wanting them to calve NOW.

Frankie":3dzej1kq said:
She's had this string of stuff hanging out of her for a couple of days now. She's not actually due until the 14th. :???: She's the last one, so I keep hoping she'll go ahead and get that calf on the ground.

HammerTools003.jpg

Why would you want her calve now , I mean nice weather not cold not raining. I think she is waiting for the weekend when the low pressure role through.

Jeff

The sticky mucus stuff can start a long while before calving, it's the thinner none sticky stuff that tells she's getting really close.

Is that white stuff dried grass stuck to some mucous or is it membrane? I had a cow this last season with membrane hanging out - could hardly see it because it looked like dried gunk. We ended up pulling dead twins out of her.

Don't you just love the scary stories people tell you? ;-)

One of my vets said, oh yeah, sometimes they slough off a bit of membrane, when I first asked about it. I am not entirely convinced of that one.

dun":or8cs4vx said:
The sticky mucus stuff can start a long while before calving, it's the thinner none sticky stuff that tells she's getting really close.
dun is exactly right. If it is sticky, then it could be a while... Keep us updated Frankie.

That doesn't look like mucus to me. It appears to be an intestinal worm maybe stuck in the mucus. Has she been wormed and possibly sloughing a rather large specimen? I would describe the mucus associated with birth as stringy but more like a glob of goo :)

I've had this happen a few times, especially with heifers. I've seen it go on for a couple weeks. I only get concerned if I start seeing bloody discharge. But this appears to be OK. The reason I know that its happened a few times? Either the kids or the wife would call me at the office and tell me, No, they would shout " One of'em is calving early get home" They've now gotten past that and all know how to use the chains if necessary. My wife hardly bats an eye now unless we are within 5 days of a calving date. And by golly she better see some feet before she calls me to leave a meeting. :cboy:

your going to have a calf pretty quick.could be a day or a week.ive seen them go 2wks like that.

She'll be fine, I'm sure. It's just that we'll be bringing some bulls home from test soon. We don't want them on the fence line with cycling cows, so we've got to sort and move the open heifers and pairs to different pastures. If this gal would go ahead and get that calf on the ground, it would make things easier for us. But when she's ready, she'll lay down and have us, I hope, a bull calf. :)

Frankie":bp64oy4r said:
She'll be fine, I'm sure. It's just that we'll be bringing some bulls home from test soon. We don't want them on the fence line with cycling cows, so we've got to sort and move the open heifers and pairs to different pastures. If this gal would go ahead and get that calf on the ground, it would make things easier for us. But when she's ready, she'll lay down and have us, I hope, a bull calf. :)

Frankie what's the status of your cow. Had one like that calved in less than 24 hours. Had another one(heifer) leaked muscus for 6 days before she calved.

Good luck

Has anyone seen a cow lose some of their mucous plug at around 6 months bread and still carry the calf full term?

I had a cow a few years back that had a clear stringy discharge like when in heat at 6 months bread, that continued for a few days and stopped, I thought that she was going to abort or even that she had slipped the calf and was coming in heat. She carried the healthy calf full term and gave normal birth. I've never seen that before or since?

Probably what you see is the cervical plug dissolving. (Stage 1) The cervix is completly closed until the plug dissovles. This starts the dilation sequence. You will notice the gue hanging when she is upright and maybe pooling when she is lying down. No worry let her do her thing. I have had this happen up to two weeks before and as little as 24 hours before delivery. Hope this helps.

KNERSIE":2k7yxydh said:
Has anyone seen a cow lose some of their mucous plug at around 6 months bread and still carry the calf full term?

I had a cow a few years back that had a clear stringy discharge like when in heat at 6 months bread, that continued for a few days and stopped, I thought that she was going to abort or even that she had slipped the calf and was coming in heat. She carried the healthy calf full term and gave normal birth. I've never seen that before or since?
I have a couple of cows which have mucous from about that early. It's never worried me, since I didn't know to worry. ;-)

3waycross":ji4jh3ki said:
Frankie":ji4jh3ki said:

Frankie what's the status of your cow. Had one like that calved in less than 24 hours. Had another one(heifer) leaked muscus for 6 days before she calved.

Good luck

She calved about noon yesterday, 81# heifer calf. I was surprised at her weight; she didn't look that big. The cow's a 3-yr old Foreman-Krugerrand. I took these pictures about 1:30-2 O'clock. It was pretty cloudy and not really enough light for a good shot. We did get some rain last night, though. :D

52001.jpg

52002.jpg

Latest posts