Hurricane Florence

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
Have a good friend in Louisburg busy prepping for the worst. Which of you folks on CT may be affected?

alisonb":2kpegd0k said:
Have a good friend in Louisburg busy prepping for the worst. Which of you folks on CT may be affected?

I will get high winds and flooding expect 30+" of rain... Most Virginia and North Carolina members will get some effects

Looks like another depression forming in the Gulf of Mexico also.
What ever happened to the scientists BS that the dust storms and smoke from the fires caused the air and water to cool. And supposedly that's the reason the tropics weren't very active earlier. These climate change scientists are nothing but a bunch of liars looking for job protection at the taxpayers expense.

True Grit Farms":2pdj7l9c said:
What ever happened to the scientists BS that the dust storms and smoke from the fires caused the air and water to cool. And supposedly that's the reason the tropics weren't very active earlier. These climate change scientists are nothing but a bunch of liars looking for job protection at the taxpayers expense.

That invest is going to TX . mainly rain for them .

we will be dry the next 7 days with only a few spotty showers .

M-5":36q0feir said:
True Grit Farms":36q0feir said:

That figures, I have a 160 bu of oats that need planting and the ground is worked up and ready to plant.

True Grit Farms":1w01tdz8 said:
M-5":1w01tdz8 said:
True Grit Farms":1w01tdz8 said:

That figures, I have a 160 bu of oats that need planting and the ground is worked up and ready to plant.

cut hay instead, Here is your window of opportunity.

M-5":3oj4e7oh said:
True Grit Farms":3oj4e7oh said:
M-5":3oj4e7oh said:

cut hay instead, Here is your window of opportunity.
My next hay cutting will be my last and I'd like to get it done when the grass goes dormant. I'm going to no-till ryegrass and clover right after I finish baling.

We are looking at anywhere from 5-15 inches of rain, winds from 35 to 75 all according to how it hits and if it stalls. Nothing like the areas nearer or on the coast but quite significant for this area. It is perfectly calm and still yesterday and today, like the "calm before the storm" saying goes. Kind of erie feeling.

Sadly will get to hear about idiots that waited to the last moment to evacuate. I do wish first responders didn't have to rescue these idiots. It would be a step forward in evolution to help rid the gene pool of fools!

skyhightree1":2ekuy345 said:
True Grit Farms [b:2ekuy345 said:
That figures, I have a 160 bu of oats that need planting and the ground is worked up and ready to plant[/b].

Same here
Might just head to town and get some seed and hook the drill up too....maybe they can steer Isaaic up this way and give me a shower. Still cloudy and drizzly but not much accumulation. Kinda the weather army worms like.

Dogs and Cows":1l2wzvmb said:
Louisburg, NC? If so that is only a few miles from me. We are prepping, preparing for the worst. I really, really hate these storms!

Yes NC. Hope all goes well there for you guys.

So what does one do with your cattle? Put them out to pasture, one that has high ground and hopefully some trees?

alisonb":570hry5i said:
Dogs and Cows":570hry5i said:
Louisburg, NC? If so that is only a few miles from me. We are prepping, preparing for the worst. I really, really hate these storms!

Yes NC. Hope all goes well there for you guys.

So what does one do with your cattle? Put them out to pasture, one that has high ground and hopefully some trees?

No trees and hurricane don't play well together. Lots of tornadoes spawned in hurricanes along with straight line winds. Most deaths are due to rising water not the wind.
Put mine in pastures with hills so they can get on the leeward side.

NonTypicalCPA":8ui9lvct said:
I have to admit, I'd be tempted to be one of the last ones to evacuate. I love to watch a storm roll in.
Oh yeah..it's 'great' :roll:
Kinda reminds me of that scene in the Jurassic Park sequel where the guy says....'Yeah, ohh...ahh, that's how it always starts, then later there's running and...screaming."

The precursor is nice, but ............

NonTypicalCPA":e3nxmup0 said:
I have to admit, I'd be tempted to be one of the last ones to evacuate. I love to watch a storm roll in.

:lol: My dad used to throw us on the back of his motorcycle every time there was a report of a tornado in the vicinity. To go find it, not get away from it. (He was good at finding trouble in more ways than one).

boondocks":28djcfif said:
NonTypicalCPA":28djcfif said:

:lol: My dad used to throw us on the back of his motorcycle every time there was a report of a tornado in the vicinity. To go find it, not get away from it. (He was good at finding trouble in more ways than one).
Your Dad sounds like a fun guy....... :shock:

True Grit Farms":kcouzh8u said:
My next hay cutting will be my last and I'd like to get it done when the grass goes dormant. I'm going to no-till ryegrass and clover right after I finish baling.

Try to cut it before the first frost. Cut and baled some several years back right after a killing frost and the cows wouldn't eat it. Not sure if the frost made it bitter or if maybe there's something else I don't know but that's my unfortunate experience either way.

Latest posts