Hurrican Juan Leveled Barn

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

This note is on behalf of my BF and his father who live in Prince Edward Island,Canada. They are small time beef producers and this past Sunday night/Monday morning our county was hit with high winds and heavy rain. The problem is that the winds ripped off the barn roof, broke the roof trusses and damaged the steel roof beyond repair. There are 2 walls left, but that is it.Then the worst no insurance when there was though to be insurance on it! I am wondering what is an affordable way to replace the roof as to not have high winds take it again? He is looking at tarp roof options, but i have yet to track down a dealer in Canada. And i would like to know what the pros and cons are with them from real people , not a sales pitch.

[email protected]

>There are quite a few of those "tents" popping up in this part of the country. (e-Ont.) The advantage of them is: They go up fast; They're cheap and they have a wide span (50+ ft)with no row of poles down the centre. Two names come to mind: Cover-all and Harnois.(there could be more) they are both Canadian but you have to go to NS or NB for a dealer. They (the tents) seem to handle a fair amount of wind but we don't have any gale force winds here. The big drawback with them is in winter. It's hard to keep them above freezing inside when it's -25 with a wind outside. Ventilation is a challenge too. If you close it up to conserve heat there is alot of vapour and condensation. They come with a guarantee of 10 - 15 yrs.,however the '98 ice storm brought quite a few down. I was going to put one up myself this summer (changed my mind when the market went down the toilet)and this lad up the road said I should "build the foundation for a convential wood or steel structure and if you want to or have to replace the tent before it's time you're already half way there" ...sounded like good advice. Hope that helps a bit. Good luck with the clean up. This note is on behalf of my BF
> and his father who live in Prince
> Edward Island,Canada. They are
> small time beef producers and this
> past Sunday night/Monday morning
> our county was hit with high winds
> and heavy rain. The problem is
> that the winds ripped off the barn
> roof, broke the roof trusses and
> damaged the steel roof beyond
> repair. There are 2 walls left,
> but that is it.Then the worst no
> insurance when there was though to