Hunting Rifle Recommendations (Whitetail Deer)

Help Support CattleToday:

sim.-ang.king":2v4efur4 said:
Pick out whatever caliber floats your boats...then go buy a Savage.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
I thought you'd want a Sako.

Have yet to fire and sight in my 7mm with the new scope.. I'm hoping it will drive tacks, though that depends on me as well of course.
For a cheap (ie, free) rifle, I'm very happy with my very old Cooey .22, I made my own scope mounts and have a 3-9x bushnell on it.. got two jays today at about 60 yards

If you only have one rifle an '06 will cover the bases. For years I was in that situation, I only had one rifle. It is a Ruger 30-06. That gun has killed deer species of deer (Mule deer, Columbia Blacktails, and Whitetails) and about a dozen elk. It will get the job done on a coyote too. My Dad killed several moose with an '06. And I know people who have shot brown bears with one. Any place that sells ammo will have '06.

Dave":1hl557au said:
If you only have one rifle an '06 will cover the bases. For years I was in that situation, I only had one rifle. It is a Ruger 30-06. That gun has killed three deer species of deer (Mule deer, Columbia Blacktails, and Whitetails) and about a dozen elk. It will get the job done on a coyote too. My Dad killed several moose with an '06. And I know people who have shot brown bears with one. Any place that sells ammo will have '06.

dun":1tf6nmmq said:
True Grit Farms":1tf6nmmq said:
Nesikep":1tf6nmmq said:
I think a 22-250 is a good yote gun and large bird, but I think it's a little bit lightweight for game.. I do want to get one though

Nesikep, you'd be surprised at how well a .223 does on deer. But I sure wouldn't recommend it as a deer cartridge.
Depends on the size of the deer.

Anything that will take out a PWR will take a Texas whitetail 62 grain hp out of a 223 is deadly on hogs.

Jogeephus":1hgi5nrn said:
Red Bull Breeder":1hgi5nrn said:
I don't see the need for a rifle for every job. O6 handles most jobs with ease.

If I've ever seen a post that needs deleting this is it. You really need to be more careful what you post as there are wives who sometimes read these posts. :lol2:

... or liberals :hide:

How is Remington model 700 .30-06? Or what is advantage of ruger or savage version of that as a couple people posted?

NECowboy":13tuzc5c said:
How is Remington model 700 .30-06? Or what is advantage of ruger or savage version of that as a couple people posted?
Cost

NECowboy":yq4pve0w said:

Remington 700 is pretty much the default deer rifle. Not saying it's better than others, but just the sheer number of after market parts available make that so. Every gun retailer in America has shelves full of aftermarket stocks and triggers for Remington 700's.

New Remington 700's, like most everything else, are not always that great. The quality has been driven down with the price. You have to get a top of the line model new one to be what most people associate with a Remington 700 from days gone by.

That being said, if you are just wanting a $400 deer rifle, you really can't go wrong with any of the ones mentioned. If you want something nicer, look for a 30 year old Remington 700 or Winchester model 70. Same rifle, different fit and finish, unless you want to spend $1000 on a new one.

Personally, I'd look at gun shows or ask around and find a 30 year old rem 700, Winchester mod 70, or ruger 77.

Brute 23":2hhhwzck said:
You can buy some really nice used Remington 700s for $500-1000 used. It drives me nuts when people pay $1000 for new guns then put $150 scopes on them. Buy a used Remington 700 for $500 and put a $500 scope on it.
Yupper!

While I like the looks of the Savage Axis II and Ruger American,I'd also consider a Remington 783.Not much to look at but the one my son bought in .270 to try the cartridge will shoot a good group.Doesn't Dick's Sporting Goods have the 700 ADL still in stock? Got one in a .243.Good rifle.Especially after a trip to the gunsmith for trigger tuning.

JW IN VA":12r8ssac said:
While I like the looks of the Savage Axis II and Ruger American,I'd also consider a Remington 783.Not much to look at but the one my son bought in .270 to try the cartridge will shoot a good group.Doesn't Dick's Sporting Goods have the 700 ADL still in stock? Got one in a .243.Good rifle.Especially after a trip to the gunsmith for trigger tuning.

Grandson had a Remington in the 783 that was so bad Remington bought it back. Bolt kept coming unlocked.
Got a Ruger American I haven't heard any complaints

Caustic Burno":m096a1zj said:
JW IN VA":m096a1zj said:

Grandson had a Remington in the 783 that was so bad Remington bought it back. Bolt kept coming unlocked.

I'm not a Ruger rifle fan, but I've heard only good things about the Ruger American.

Caustic Burno":7q7velmi said:
JW IN VA":7q7velmi said:

Guess they are like some other things.One guy gets a prize-another gets a lemon.Sorry to hear about that.It can be a downer for a kid to have something that doesn't work.(or big kid for that matter)

Asking someone for an opinion on a hunting rifle is like asking what they prefer in a girlfriend. Lots of opinions. It's hard to beat a 30.06 and a good, used Remington 700 BDL is readily available and so is the ammunition. I've had two 700 BDL's for 50 years (.270 and .243) and both have been excellent rifles - but they've been taken care of religiously. They look and shoot like brand new.

Got me a Remington 700 CDL .30-06 with Nikon Prostaff 2.5-10x50 scope. Will need to post pictures. Beautiful rifle. Scope should be decent can always get a step up down the road if I want but the rifle is a keeper!!! Thanks all for the recommendations.

NECowboy":2ex2ef87 said:
Got me a Remington 700 CDL .30-06 with Nikon Prostaff 2.5-10x50 scope. Will need to post pictures. Beautiful rifle. Scope should be decent can always get a step up down the road if I want but the rifle is a keeper!!! Thanks all for the recommendations.

Good choice. :nod: You shouldn't ever need anything more. ;-)

Latest posts