Hunting Loads

Help Support CattleToday:

ArrowHBrand

Reaction score
What does everyone use for hunting loads? I use a 12 gauge with modified choke all of the time and I also keep my plug in my shotgun so I don't loose it between seasons and if I can't hit a bird in three shots I'm not going to hit it with five. When hunting pheasants in open grass shots 1-3 will be loaded as 6, 4, 2. My thinking behind that is as the bird gets farther down range I need more power to be able to hit it. This has helped me quite a few times over the years when others have dropped their guns. You need to adjust your lead though too. Ducks over decoys or jumping I use almost exclusively 6's. I'll take a few 4's with me if I find that they aren't coming in completely or if I need a little extra umph. Geese over decoys I use 3 inch duece mags and fly by geese I may go up to T's. I have a scoped Ruger 10/.22 for rabbits. I like to stalk winter timber and jump them, but would prefer to spot them holding tight. I've hunted squirrels once, but tore it apart trying to skin it. Until I can have someone show me the stepping on the tail trick, I'm going to pass on that. I always carry atleast one field tipped arrow with me during bow season. Many times I've shot pheasants or rabbits close to the end of the day when no deer are around, or when walking back to the house. I'd like to start hunting turkeys and coyotes, but right now don't have time to get involved with another season. This is just what I prefer and what has worked for me. I'm always open to questions, comments, and complaints, what do y'all use?

The only birds I have ever hunted is dove. I've just never had the opportunity to hunt pheasant and I don't like laying in the cold mud and water to hunt ducks.

So for dove I use 7 1/2's in a 12 ga with modified choke. First shell in the magazine is a high brass round with the next two being game load. For the same reason as you, that last shot is going to be out there and I feel like the extra power is needed (not that I'm that good of a shot). White wing fly at 60MPH or better without a tail wind. If you have to shoot a third time the bird is going to be in the next county. Just my two cents worth.

When you are not shooting its a good idea to loosen the chokes. They will freeze up, especially from season to season.

I use 6s on Turkey, 7 1/2s on every thing else. Most of the time a Mod choke, full for turkey. Nothing fancy. IF your good your good. :cowboy: :lol:

I've used many different loads on upland. This year on pheasants I used heavy Federal 4's with my trusty old 12 full choke pump. Seems I often miss the first shot the dust the bird on the second. For ducks I used #2 steel with the full choke. Grouse and partridge I use #'s 5 or 6 field loads.

I use 7&1/2 or 8 on both pheasant and quail 20 guage. I am lookind at gettin a 28 guage o/u for this year possibly. I figure if I can get on them quick enough then either I will hunt them another day or my friends have a chance with their cannons.

Jeff

Early season pheasants and quail I use 7's(imp cyl) if I can get them for the first barrel and 6's(mod) in the second barrel. Late season move to 6's and 4's same sequence only with on step tighter choke in both barrels.. This is with a 16ga O/U

I read a study by the U. of Nebraska a few yrs ago on shot size and pheasant mortality. They concluded that size 7 shot was by far the most effective for early Roosters. The problem is you have to load it yourself since almost nobody loads it commercially anymore. (BTW how cool is it for a College to do that kind of study, instead of a study on the mating habits of the now extinct snail darter.) Kudos to the U of Neb

The fellows I hunt with in SD use full chokes and it's always easy to figure out which birds they shot. They are the ones with the big hole thru them that we have to throw away. I have seen birds from the side as they were hit with a full choke and #4 shot from 20yds. You can see the front of the bird explode. Not saying anybody is right or wrong it just doesn't work for me.

mnmtranching":8vdehwrd said:
Seems I often miss the first shot the dust the bird on the second.

I'm with you. I might as well fire the first shot up in the air!! Seems I always rush the first shot.

For pheasant, I like no 4's with a modified choke, and move to a full choke later in the year when the birds get jumpy.

For quail, I like no 8's with an improved cylinder choke.

For turkey, I like 3 1/2 inch no 5's with a full choke. I have shot 4,5,6's for turkeys and all have worked just fine.

Back when I was a goose hunter, I used no 2 shot. Then I tried eating a goose and stopped being a goose hunter.

That's about all I use my shotgun for.

Latest posts