Hunting lease ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I lease my deer hunting rights, and keep the turkey. I get $4500 for 260 acres. Not sure what the going rate is other places. I've actually became quit good friends with the gentleman, his wife, and grown son. I hate to go up on the price, because they are such nice people. Plus, they never disturb anything. They have actually hunted more this year, than years past. I think today is day 8. I store 5 deer feeders, probably 12 or 15 deer stands (not sure why they have so many), and keep the feeders full and running about 6 months out of the year (they buy the corn). I also fixed a little food plot this year. It ain't much, just 100 pounds of cover crop wheat on a spot I disced. They've missed a 140" deer, and wounded a 160" deer that we can't find. They have also killed some 150" deer the last couple of years. Im starting to think, that the quality deer I have, and the service I'm providing is worth a little more. What would something like this be worth to a hunter?

Bigfoot most folks down this way charge a certain amount for each gun that will be on the lease. Depending on size of lease and quality of deer it normally runs anywhere from $1000 to $3000 a gun and some are even more expensive. Most also require you to bring your own feeders and do the filling yourself.

We lease 300 acres for 1200 a yr. No where near the size of deer you have but Its just family that hunts it. My dad does all the work on it , He is retired and he enjoys his daily chore of putting out corn and checking cameras , I think he has 15 cameras now and he showed me some 130 to 140 class deer yesterday. 3 yrs ago they were offered 5k for the lease , They soon realized that if they took that offer they would have their hands full with new tenants. We may lose it tomorrow but our family has leased this property for over 40 yrs , We treat it like we own it. We have about 20 stands on it because the wind never blows the same way . Don't be greedy the next folks might steal you blind.

M-5":1lm8naau said:
We lease 300 acres for 1200 a yr. No where near the size of deer you have but Its just family that hunts it. My dad does all the work on it , He is retired and he enjoys his daily chore of putting out corn and checking cameras , I think he has 15 cameras now and he showed me some 130 to 140 class deer yesterday. 3 yrs ago they were offered 5k for the lease , They soon realized that if they took that offer they would have their hands full with new tenants. We may lose it tomorrow but our family has leased this property for over 40 yrs , We treat it like we own it. We have about 20 stands on it because the wind never blows the same way . Don't be greedy the next folks might steal you blind.

I feel ya

Bigfoot":qgr83oeh said:
I lease my deer hunting rights, and keep the turkey. I get $4500 for 260 acres. Not sure what the going rate is other places. I've actually became quit good friends with the gentleman, his wife, and grown son. I hate to go up on the price, because they are such nice people. Plus, they never disturb anything. They have actually hunted more this year, than years past. I think today is day 8. I store 5 deer feeders, probably 12 or 15 deer stands (not sure why they have so many), and keep the feeders full and running about 6 months out of the year (they buy the corn). I also fixed a little food plot this year. It ain't much, just 100 pounds of cover crop wheat on a spot I disced. They've missed a 140" deer, and wounded a 160" deer that we can't find. They have also killed some 150" deer the last couple of years. Im starting to think, that the quality deer I have, and the service I'm providing is worth a little more. What would something like this be worth to a hunter?
Rate here is ten bucks an acre 100 acres per hunter is the norm for this area.

Bigfoot, I've been looking at a couple of different places around you and $20. to $25. an acre is the going rate for a good place. The only piece of property we lease to hunters cost them $40. per acre. And they never kill any big bucks, cause they scare them all to us. But if they ever give it up I'll never lease it out again, it's not worth the headaches.
Myself for the money they get in western KY, I'll just drive another 6-8 hours and do my hunting there for free.

TennesseeTuxedo":2n71tarn said:
It's free to hunt on our farm for the select few who are allowed on it.

+1 I also agree that since these people take care of your property by not tearing it up,you might want to stick with them.You could get someone who thinks they are paying for the right to mud bog.
I would make sure I had a real good liability policy and /or a contract saving you and your family harmless from any loss they have.You could get a shock without it.Hope not but it is the time we live in

Most people around here, which you know my area, are getting in the $5-10 acre range. I hear of a few that get more but most are getting less. Our county has some good deer also so there is a demand. About the most I have heard is $15 an acre.

I assume you are carrying insurance since you lease it, a person has to take that into consideration of what you charge to pay for the extra insurance. It is worth something to trust who you lease too, you might get more but get worse people. Might bump it to $20 an acre or at least feel them out.

Been a lot of good advice. I wasn't sure what people were charging sounds like I'm not doing as bad as I thought. I've actually told myself, when I lose this bunch, I won't lease any more. I'm actually squirreling it away for the kids college. There's actually not that many acres of woods on my place, and several tied up in headquarters, that nobody would hunt anyway. Guess I'll leave well enough alone.

If you get a long with the hunters and have a good relationship I would let it be. Its hard to find good lessees. You raise it $1000 and end up with some people who are a PIA and you will probably regret it. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Brute 23":1slsxdvg said:
If you get a long with the hunters and have a good relationship I would let it be. Its hard to find good lessees. You raise it $1000 and end up with some people who are a PIA and you will probably regret it. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
If it is greener you can bet the fertilizer or water bill is higher.
Ran a lease for years it made me hate deer hunters and I am one.

Latest posts