Hunting land prices

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
I looked at some property today and wondering what it's worth around your area.
25 acres, 1250ft to 1400ft elevation, 10 year cutover hardwoods came back real good. Stream along one side maybe 2/3 of the boundary. Lots of deer, Turkey, and bear sign. Off road but easily accessably even in wet weather with a 4x4. Biggest draw is its 200yds from Cumberland Gap National Historical Park. What's it worth in your area?

I would guess 1500-1800 lot of oos buy that stuff here. Not sure what the park adds to value. My dad bought something similar several years ago with a small cabin no utilities for 850 but things have really changed. That small acreage will make it cost more per acre.

Littletom, the fact that no hunting has been allowed in the park since the 1950's leads to there being a lot of big deer there. They cant read the park signs so they travel off the park in search of does and food. Does purely hunting land actually sell that high where you guys are? Its less than 1/2 mile off a 4-lane highway so guess that helps.

I understand exactly what your saying. I meant not sure what it would add here because we don't have that here. Closest is Mammoth Cave NP bout 40 miles away they sell 5 acre tracts that join that for hunting. Yes it sells that high. Where my dad has his they sold a joining place for 2000 after the loggers completely raped it. Those people were from Indiana and thought they got a deal.

Ok, I understand. I'm looking at this as an investment because money in the bank sure don't do much. Maybe I should advertise it real high and finance it at 10%. See how many out there want to waste their money.

kenny thomas":ssd4375k said:
I looked at some property today and wondering what it's worth around your area?
Location, Location, Location.
Comparing apples to oranges does no good.
You don't want to hunt in Minnesota and I don't want to go to Virginia to hunt.
All that matters is it's value where it's located. Supply and demand.

Price sounds cheap enough but when you say off road do you mean its landlocked?

Best advice I've been given on land is to buy it in the path of progress but with what you are talking about at that price you might could flip it and do well enough - assuming you have a recorded easement or access.

That is very cheap. Hard to compare it to anything here. Even land bought just for hunting is north of $1,500.

Rough land in this county is not worth much. Land of that nature here is about 800 and sells to folks from the city wanting to hunt. But even hunters want access. There is a couple realtors here who specialize in hunting properties. Most are larger than 25 acres and are mostly grown up rough farms.

kenny thomas":rimyltnk said:
I looked at some property today and wondering what it's worth around your area.
25 acres, 1250ft to 1400ft elevation, 10 year cutover hardwoods came back real good. Stream along one side maybe 2/3 of the boundary. Lots of deer, Turkey, and bear sign. Off road but easily accessably even in wet weather with a 4x4. Biggest draw is its 200yds from Cumberland Gap National Historical Park. What's it worth in your area?
KT is this for hunting only or do you have plans to build on it and turn it into a homestead or maybe just hold and resell.

$750,000 will buy 200 wooded acres in Minnesota. 200 acres = $3,750 acre
completely contained within the 200 acres is a lake of 50 acres about 45 feet deep, a nice private lake for fishing.

But I don't understand how $3,750 acre in Mn for hunting/fishing land matters to 25 acre hunting land prices in Virginia.

$1590 acre for 352 acre hunting property with a couple small ponds, adjoining 1000 acre state park.
352 acres includes 2 bedroom hunting bunkhouse with well and septic system and 10 well marked and maintained trails.

Dang Kenny that's a steal and a good investment for sure if it has a right of way. Timber will be worth that in a few years. I would be all over it. $2-8k an acre here a few hours east of you. Mineral rights go with it? On a side note doing any good bear hunting? They are like rabbits up here. Treeing 3-4 a day.

Latest posts