Hunting/fishing Idaho

Help Support CattleToday:

5S Cattle

Reaction score
My buddy is trying to talk me into goin with him to Idaho in October and going hunting for muley/whitetail and then trout fishing. Says there's over the counter tags. Anyone from there or that has been that can give advice would be appreciated.

What kind of advice....used to live there and hunted deer, elk, antelope and moose. Gorgeous country. Out of state license is pretty steep.

hdrockn":23jnpsic said:
What kind of advice....used to live there and hunted deer, elk, antelope and moose. Gorgeous country. Out of state license is pretty steep.
Any advice, units ect. Deer tag and 5 days of trout fishing he said was $450. I haven't done any of my own research yet though. How much is the license?

5S Cattle":3rwio4hr said:
Bestoutwest":3rwio4hr said:
Here you go! One of these days I'm going to learn to fly fish b/c it's so beautiful up here.
https://idfg.idaho.gov/licenses/fees-no ... nt#license
Oh wow that ain't bad at all. And the way I read it is, if we don't get a deer we can shoot a bear?
Or a mountain lion......
Deer - Adult
Valid to take a black bear or mountain lion, if a season is open for that species, instead of a deer where and when the deer tag is valid, and there is an open deer season in that same unit.

greybeard":2fb3sliz said:
5S Cattle":2fb3sliz said:
Bestoutwest":2fb3sliz said:
Here you go! One of these days I'm going to learn to fly fish b/c it's so beautiful up here.
https://idfg.idaho.gov/licenses/fees-no ... nt#license
Oh wow that ain't bad at all. And the way I read it is, if we don't get a deer we can shoot a bear?
Or a mountain lion......
Deer - Adult
Valid to take a black bear or mountain lion, if a season is open for that species, instead of a deer where and when the deer tag is valid, and there is an open deer season in that same unit.

We hunt Idaho for elk. I've been told to not shoot fall bear as they dont' eat as well as spring bear.

OTC tags are plentiful and so are hunters in those units. Get a good pack and get back off the roads and you'll have plenty of luck.