Hunting dogs and cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

mobgrazer

Reaction score
I got up to a bunch of barking and my cows were mooing at 4:15 AM. I grabbed my daughter, my 357, and my 9mm then jumped in the truck. There were 6 dogs that were chasseing my cows. They had run down all the temp fences and were after a calf. I called 911 and started popping them off one by one. By the time the first cop got to us I only had 4 that had a taste of lead. One of the cows killed one and the cop got the other one.

I ended up with 2 state troopers, 3 county cops, one forest ranger, and 2 animal control cops. It took 3 hours to get the cows into a huge padlock. I had one calf down with a few skin tares and one that would not stop running till it just fell to the ground. Moved the 2 calf's to the barn and got the vet out to take care of them.

The 6 dogs had on tracking collars so we knew it would be a matter of time before the owners showed up for them. The owner showed up and had guns in there truck (crime to carry guns when on privet property to get your hunting dogs). The owner went off when he saw his dogs were dead and gave me a black eye then tried to slap my daughter.

I just got back from the jail house pressing charges on the owner. 4 days worth of grass is destroyed, the one calf died, a bunch of temp fencing stuff destroyed, and calf is full of drugs and stitches.

Sorry but I needed to b1tch about my morning and have a question. Are hunting dogs like this or was it a pack type thing that made them start chasseing my cows?

I can see him givin you a black eye, just out of frustration and anger. Not that he was right just kinda understandable. But when he took a swing at your daughter you shoulda laid him out with his dogs and then buried him and his dogs and his truck.

The way things are here anymore if you called 911 and then started shootin dogs they would have probably arrested you for the shootin. The Sheriff recently told my partner to either shoot the dogs or call him but not both, and for sure you don't want to shoot a dog and call the owner. It's a lawsuit lookin for a place to happen.

As far as hunting dogs being that way. They are all still dogs and if they pack up they revert to someting long buried and just kill sometimes. I shot 23 dogs one winter chasing my mares and they would come in packs of up to 10 to 12 at a time. I recognized many of them as dogs owned by people I knew. I never said a word to anyone I just killed them. I killed some labradors and even a couple of pretty big poodles, along with every other breed. I don't think it matters what they are they will all kill under the right circumstances.

Sorry for your loss.

Last year I killed a few dogs and I was told that I need to call 911 with in a few min of the first shoot. The cops were there when the owner showed up (he was tracking them no one called him). He gave me a black eye right before they went to put him in cuffs. Before he got a maglight to the back of his head he swung at my daughter. I would have rather put a few chunks of lead in him to him then send him to jail.

So any group of dogs will team up and kill more or less.

He had a ford truck or I might have wanted to keep it. We all know what ford stands for right? F-ed over rebuilt dodge.

Yes, hunting dogs are like that. One lady had a pack of hunting dogs tear the throat out of char.cow. It was not a pretty sight. That just happen a couple of weeks ago.
You know as much trouble as we have had with all of the wild hogs. I will not allow any hunting dogs on my place. For one I have to many calves on the ground and I know hog dogs.
Here where I live so many people dump unwanted pets. I just hate them for doing that. If any new dog shows up it's not here for long. There's enough cattlemen that if they see a couple of dogs running together they will shoot them.
You should have knocked the crap out of that guy for trying to slap your daughter. I would have. I hope you sue the mess out this man.
Sorry for your loss

Dogs running wild can sometimes be worse than coyotes. I had a dog bite off the tail of one of my calves one time.
I hope you get your investment back out of that calf and other things that were destroyed.
I just wonder something: why did you take your daughter with you when you woke up at 4AM? Not trying to be critical, but I dont understand why you would have taken her with you.
The man had no right to slap at her, and I would have went off on him like nobody's business if he did that to my daughter. But, then again, my daughter would have kicked him in the nuts if he tried that!!

Yep I'm going to sue him. I talked to my lawyer and he referred me to someone else that's in court today. He should call me back 1 to 2:00, I have been told.

Most people make road kill out of dogs on my road and keep up with how many they get every week so they can brag to the rest of the farmers.

I grabbed my 14 year old daughter. I don't like going into my fields at night by myself. She can drive the farm truck, good with a 9mm, and I needed help with the lights. I had no idea what I was getting into when I left the house. If she would have had a chance she would have kicked his a$$.

We both get up about 4. She gets her stuff ready for school and I work on 5:00 breakfast. 5:30 or so we go for the morning "moving of the cows". When we get back she gets ready for school and I help the other 3 clean up the kitchen. 6:30 I make the school run with the 4 of them. I do all the morning stuff my wife dose all the evening stuff in the household.

edit for spelling

Wow.

We have a lot of problem with dogs but they do not fool with our cows.

Our cows will chase hounds but then we don't have wild hogs or lions so the dogs are used to run deer and fox and coons.

I have shot dogs. Never had to shoot hounds. German shepherds and labs and mix breeds and husky types and dobermans. I don't call owners any more. don't call the law either as I doubt they would be there to assist me. Have a county deputy as a neighbor and I would not call him just to keep him clean and out of it.

I been hit by men before and have stuck a blow or two myself in days gone by. But Any low life that needs to fight women..... I don't know what might have happened.

anyone who's not in control of their dogs I have no mercy for, especially when they go messing with livestock and other people's livelyhood..

good job on getting rid of them! most dogs that come through our property walk the line and stay on the road, you come into our fences and you've got a 308 round coming at your a$$

I'm sure that the guy who's dogs these were should have been following them more closely.. I mean the time it takes you to get out of bed, drive down there, shoot the dogs, call the cops and have them get there, all before he got there.. I'd guess this was at least a half an hour... Shame on that guy, especially for taking a swing at a 14 year old girl!

I think he was after a beAr. I don't know about the season for them. We don't have hogs or lions.

I had hunters shooting onto my land so I keep an eye out till I found a tree stand on a property line tree. I weighted till a hunter was in the stand and cut down the tree with him init.

Had a guy go off roading every Friday night. He would drive up my driveway so I pulled out my cattle grates, put up a bunch of closed sign, and put up a line of yellow plastic chain to close it off. It left a 1' deep by 6' wide concrete dip in his road. I did toss in a log on the far side so he would not mess up the concrete to much.

At on point the cops would not do much to enforce the laws but there getting better. Our cops are now good about helping with trespassers, dogs, hunters on posted privet property, and other stuff I have run into.

the first time I read the first line I read "he was after a beer".. ooops

good job on cutting the tree down with the guy in it... I bet he won't be doing that again!

Been there and done that. Very few differences in our situations, except I only had 4 dogs. They were all dead when the sheriffs department showed up. He gathered up collars, made reports, and started calling the owners to let them know that their dogs were dead and that citations were being issued. Also told them to contact their insurance companies and let them know that there would be $$ to pay.

Everything worked out well. The dogs belonged to my a couple of my neighbors. They told me that if it had been their farm and animals, they would have done the same thing. No hard feelings.

The best quote that came out of my ordeal came from the deputy. He said: "Boy, what did you shoot them dogs with?" At that point, I replied by showing him my Kimber .45.

He said: " I don't want you shooting at me with that thing........."

Now, any dog that comes onto the property never leaves. SSS

I hunt with dogs... I would expect some one to do just what you did if that happened. As some one already said... No mercy for people who don't control their animals, dogs, cats, cattle, pets or not, what ever.

IF I were those cops I would have turned my head and let you beat his @$$ for swinging at your daughter, if not helped you.

around here if theres dogs chasing cows or calves we dont call the law.we start shooting the dogs.an put a stop to the chasing.an if theres dead calves.the owner of the dogs had better not show up.because if he does he will be paying for the calves/cows.

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Hope it don't brew into something else. That sob had better count his blessings he didn't try to lay a hand on my daughter cause ....

mobgrazer":x94glr9i said:
The 6 dogs had on tracking collars so we knew it would be a matter of time before the owners showed up for them.

Speaking from personal exerience, those collars can lead to extremely awkward situations. I got the evil eye but never a black eye.

I am fond of hunting with dogs, have done a bunch o coon hunting in my time, most hounds won't cause no trouble with stock. If my dogs are and they get killed all i ask is tell me what they were doing and i will pay any damages done by them.

I'm not trigger happy when it comes to dogs but I have dropped my share of them. Personally, I will try and say something to the owner if I see a problem coming. If this falls on deaf ears, I've found that mailing the collars back to them with no return address gets the point across. Last year I bottle fed an orphan and got it going pretty good. (thanks to some help I got off the board) Anyhow, I put it in a pen and a pit bull and a german shepard killed it. Had trouble getting a bead on them but finally caught them in front of the place in the right of way. I stopped and pulled my rifle out when a little voice in my head told me to wait. A few minutes later the owners pulled up and got the dogs. I think a little voice in their heads told them they best keep the dogs penned up cause I haven't seen them since. I wish all endings were like this cause I do like dogs.

Jogeephus":1hbru6jn said:
I'm not trigger happy when it comes to dogs but I have dropped my share of them. Personally, I will try and say something to the owner if I see a problem coming. If this falls on deaf ears, I've found that mailing the collars back to them with no return address gets the point across. Last year I bottle fed an orphan and got it going pretty good. (thanks to some help I got off the board) Anyhow, I put it in a pen and a pit bull and a german shepard killed it. Had trouble getting a bead on them but finally caught them in front of the place in the right of way. I stopped and pulled my rifle out when a little voice in my head told me to wait. A few minutes later the owners pulled up and got the dogs. I think a little voice in their heads told them they best keep the dogs penned up cause I haven't seen them since. I wish all endings were like this cause I do like dogs.

Did they pay for your calf?

3waycross":2bcjoph2 said:
Jogeephus":2bcjoph2 said:

Did they pay for your calf?

Not a penny. "Wasn't my fault. Wasn't my dogs. Do you have proof." etc etc Same old song and dance. That's why I'm not going to feel guilty if I see the dogs again.

Thats why its importaint to know the laws in your area about shooting animals harming your livestock. Here in vermont its legal to shoot anything harrasing livestock, any time. I do have to say though, that i have 2 redbone coonhounds, and they wouldnt think of chasing thier tail let alone my cattle. I do have to say they are TRAINED obedient dogs though. Both came from hunting stock, but i dont hunt them. I feel bad for your animals who were chased. Im sure they'll be spooked for a while. Good luck in getting reimbursed.

I think most of us here love dogs. We do however, love for them to be trained and stay where they belong. I just happen to love my cows more than any dogs that might bother them...

Latest posts