Hunters Safety Class

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
My son just got done with the hunters safety class today. It was a long week. Started on Monday and ended today with a field day. A pretty great instructor. He made it interesting for the kids and a great hands on teaching forum. Son can hunt with an adult this year and he gets his fishing, conservation, deer and elk tags for free this year. We are both now signed up for his bow hunters class.
I was sure surprised that the kids were allowed to handle the guns. I remember during my class we were handed guns the last day and told to figure them out.
They took the kids out to a shooting area and they learned to follow a blood trail. Shoot at clay pigeons with a 20 gauge shot gun and they shot at targets with .22 rifles.
Only 2 of the kids hit a clay with the shot guns and my son was one. :D :D

Now he wants a 20 gauge shot gun. He also wants a lever action .22 with a scope. :)

That sounds like a good instructor. Also good that they gave him the tags. Ought to be free anyway but that's a different subject. I'm with him on the 20 gauge. I want a 20 ga side by side. Preferably a fox just like I cut my teeth on. One day I'll get one. :nod:

Jo he wants an over and under 20 gauge. Found one exactly like the one he shot, but they wanted $1000 for it. :shock: Going to look around this fall and see what we can find for him.

That wouldn't be a beretta would it? I bought my son one of those. Its really nice. I just like the side by sides for some reason.

I luv herfrds":3hovvgj8 said:
No it wasn't a Beretta. Sorry I can't remember the make. I thought it was over priced.

Any decent O/U is going to be relatively pricey. I've seen a few of the Remingtons that they are importing and they seem to be a fairly good product at a fairly reasonable price. Kind of clunky, but passable

The last time I went to a hunters safety class was about 30 years ago and it was nothing more than 2 hours of dull classroom lecture. Glad to see they're doing it right now!

I went to my first hunter safety course this year. Been hunting for over 25 years. Wanted to get my wife her certificate. Spent the whole day and never saw anything except pictures of guns. Surprised me. :cry2:

herfrds,

Your experience sounds identical to what my son and daughter went through. They had a Remington 1100 20 gauge though. Take your kids hunting and you will never have to hunt for your kids. :cboy:

I luv herfrds":1ke0kkr7 said:
they wanted $1000 for it.
I found my grandson a Condor o/u 20ga by Stoeger for $400 new. A nice little shotgun for a young shooter. I first bought an 1187 youth 20ga, what junk, it will not eject. The 4 H skeet couch said that he has seen that problem in more than one of thies. Google Stoeger and check it out. Good luck to both of you,
Mac

I'm a instructor for Washington state Fish and wildlife, We use Savage .223 rifles for range day.
We found some of the smaller kids got stomped by the 20ga. single shots we were using. the rifles seem to work better for us. we are required to give 10 hrs. of class time plus a range day. been doing it for 11 yrs. and loveit. a new class starts tonight as a matter of fact.

:cboy:

Bow Hunter's class starts next Friday the 26th. Will go all weekend. bad timing though. Our towns annual Summer Celebration will be going on that weekend, so we will miss a lot of it. :(
Son tried to talk me out of it by saying he now doesn't want to hunt with a bow, which is not true. Told him too bad we are going, then he doesn't have to do it again.

Will look around this fall for a .20 gauge for him.

cant really go wrong with a 20 ga benelli pump, my first shotgun, very light, durable, ran about 450 i think very good beginner gun.

My first shotgun was a single well used 16 gauge. I think Dad paid $15 dollars for it. I liked that old gun as well as if it were a thousand dollar double. You don't need to start those younguns on fancy expensive hunting stuff. There's time for that later. Stress the fun and adventure of the hunt not the value of the equipment. :nod:

Which gun do you think is the safest for a youngster to learn how to use? I always felt like a side by side was the best. Most single shots have hammers that can be tricky to uncock if a clean shot doesnt present itself. any thoughts

denoginnizer":2oda4bgk said:
Which gun do you think is the safest for a youngster to learn how to use? I always felt like a side by side was the best. Most single shots have hammers that can be tricky to uncock if a clean shot doesnt present itself. any thoughts

Most single shots can be opened with the hammer cocked, makes it really safe to lower the hammer. But thew only single shots I messed with were the various c=el-cheapos and the dreadful kick like a mule winchester model 37

I have never tried to open one after the hammer is cocked. I have got to go get one out of the safe and try that.

Never thought much about it but my old 16 opens cocked. It's been a long time since I shot the thing. I sure haven't forgot the kick, something to consider I guess with a young hunter.
I never cocked the gun unless I was about to shoot something, so I just can't remember ever un cocking the gun manually.

I am a little late on this post, but the mossberg 20 gauge over under silver reserve is a nice looking gun. This gun is less than $500.

Latest posts