Hunters involved in bears attack..........

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
https://buckrail.com/two-elk-hunters-at ... l-missing/

UPDATE: (3:38pm): Mark Uptain's body has been found. We regret to inform that he has passed away. Our deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Two hunters were involved in a bear attack Friday, September 14, in the Teton Wilderness while field dressing an elk near Terrace Mountain, approximately 5.8 miles northeast of the Turpin Meadow Trailhead.

Florida resident Corey Chubon shot an elk during a guided bow hunt late Thursday afternoon. He and his guide, Mark Uptain of Martin Outfitters, were unable to locate the wounded animal before nightfall. The pair returned Friday morning to locate and remove the elk. They found the undisturbed carcass in the early afternoon and were preparing to pack out the elk when they were aggressively charged by two large bears.

jltrent":1zanjm3o said:
https://buckrail.com/two-elk-hunters-attacked-by-bears-guide-still-missing/

UPDATE: (3:38pm): Mark Uptain's body has been found. We regret to inform that he has passed away. Our deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Two hunters were involved in a bear attack Friday, September 14, in the Teton Wilderness while field dressing an elk near Terrace Mountain, approximately 5.8 miles northeast of the Turpin Meadow Trailhead.

Florida resident Corey Chubon shot an elk during a guided bow hunt late Thursday afternoon. He and his guide, Mark Uptain of Martin Outfitters, were unable to locate the wounded animal before nightfall. The pair returned Friday morning to locate and remove the elk. They found the undisturbed carcass in the early afternoon and were preparing to pack out the elk when they were aggressively charged by two large bears.
That's not the way a hunt of a lifetime is supposed to work out. RIP

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.clicko ... acking-him

Can't seem to get a common consensus among articles about what actually happened. Bear dragged him off of horse? Horse was still in area for him to remount and ride away? Bear knocked gun out of his hand? He tossed gun to guide? Bear attacked guide first? Bear drug him off horse and then attacked guide? Authorities can't locate pistol? Lot of conflicting information.

On a side note... if a bear is attacking me..... don't let the problem of not having a clear shot keep you from shooting. The potential for being injured by the gun shot couldn't be any worse than the jaws of a grizzly. I will take John Eubanks position. Just shoot up in here amongst us, one of us got to have some relief.

All jokes aside this is another tragic encounter in the ongoing saga of man vs beast. But there are some fishy details. All or some of which may be strictly the result of erroneous reporting. Prayers for the guides family.

JMJ Farms":2ppx9cvb said:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.clickorlando.com/news/new-smyrna-beach-man-survives-bear-grabbing-him-by-ankles-attacking-him

Can't seem to get a common consensus among articles about what actually happened. Bear dragged him off of horse? Horse was still in area for him to remount and ride away? Bear knocked gun out of his hand? He tossed gun to guide? Bear attacked guide first? Bear drug him off horse and then attacked guide? Authorities can't locate pistol? Lot of conflicting information.

On a side note... if a bear is attacking me..... don't let the problem of not having a clear shot keep you from shooting. The potential for being injured by the gun shot couldn't be any worse than the jaws of a grizzly. I will take John Eubanks position. Just shoot up in here amongst us, one of us got to have some relief.

All jokes aside this is another tragic encounter in the ongoing saga of man vs beast. But there are some fishy details. All or some of which may be strictly the result of erroneous reporting. Prayers for the guides family.

Myself I would want something a little larger than a pistol. Mossberg schockwave with slugs comes to mind.

Caustic Burno":ws30mgz2 said:
JMJ Farms":ws30mgz2 said:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.clickorlando.com/news/new-smyrna-beach-man-survives-bear-grabbing-him-by-ankles-attacking-him

Myself I would want something a little larger than a pistol. Mossberg schockwave with slugs comes to mind.

Me to CB. But beggars can't be choosers and if my options were limited I'd take a .22 or .380 over nothing at all. Not sure what else they had at their disposal but one would think that they would have been prepared since they were very aware they were in bear country. I'm sure they weren't armed with recurves and flint arrowheads. So why not have a suitable gun in which to dispatch a bear if necessary? Maybe they had others and couldn't access them. Who knows? I'm sute that's a very adrenaline pumping situation and one's reactions and judgements could be compromised. I still want to know about all the conflicting details of the incident.

This is exactly why I own a .44 magnum. I spent a lot of time in Grizzly range. If you are not carrying a rifle, you best carry nothing less that a .44 Remington Magnum caliber.

Latest posts