Hunter Survey

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Got the survey call tonight. Had a hard time explaining it to the hubby.
Never told him that I bought 4 deer tags this fall. ;-) My son knew I did so we could go hunting.
Never did get them filled. :cry2:

Now to get on their "do not call" list I will be happy. :D

Yeah Jo we do. :roll: :roll:
You have to buy a conservation liscense, that is also your fishing liscense. $20.00 for resident. This also allows for you to buy the tags. :roll: :roll:
Deer tags are bought seperately. $15.00 each for resident.
Upland game birds are seperate along with migartory bird stamp. Now this water fowl one is stupid. You buy the liscense to hunt them, but you have to go to the post office to buy the stamp for $20.00 to shoot them. :roll: :roll:
Moose, elk, antelope, bear, bighorn sheep and mountain goat are done by a drawing system.
You can buy extra tags over the counter for antelope if there are extras.

If your a non-resident the cost is outragous.

Most non-resident tags or license are outrageous..
Do they have a lifetime license up there? Oklahoma sells one, that can be used for fishing and hunting, and that way you dont have to buy any tags, licenses for the rest of your life. I found it was a good investment; because over the years spent buying tags, and fishing licenses, it would pay for itself in 10 years I figured.

I have to buy a general hunting license. This gets you deer, coon, rabbet, tree rat, and stuff. Every year there is a different amount of deer you can grab. We can get extra doe and buck tags as needed. There was something about having to check in so many doe before you can get the extra buck tags.

Then I have to fax it over to the game warden and he will send me damage tag so he can print me out 30 damage tags. Unless I want to drive 30 miles out of my way I have to invite him out to my place for a stake and tatters lunch and to check up on everything.

Don't feel bad, we need a fresh water stamp to fish in fresh water and a salt water stamp to fish in salt water.. This is in addition to your fishing lic. All about money....

I guess I should consider myself lucky. We don't have to buy a license if we hunt on our own land but once you get a landowner license you can't hunt on other land. This can be problematic if there is a good dove shoot next door.

They keep tacking on more prices and extras to our lisences. They are starting to give more free deer crop damage permits though.

Montana is 1 of just 3 states that does not have a deficit.

I'm 1 of the reasons why.

Conservation license~~~~~~~~~~~~$15
Waterfowls Stamps~~~~~~~~~~~~~$70
Upland Bird License~~~~~~~~~~~~~$110.
State Lands permit~~~~~~~~~~~~~~$10
Bonus Points~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~$20 ea
Big Game Combination License~~~$672
Drawing Fee ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~$5
Special Permits~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~$25 ea
Deer B~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~$75
Antelope A tag~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~$270
Antelope B tag~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~$75

BUT HEY :banana: :banana: :banana: The state hiway map is FREEEEEEEEEEE :welcome:
They want you to find your way back home. :shock: :oops:

mnmtranching":1no6acid said:

I'll bet Mo. is in that three. We have a sales tax here that gos to the Mo. Dept of Conservation. MDC has some serious money here.
I can get one "any deer" (buck or doe) and two anterless "farm tags" for deer and then can buy all the anterless I want for $11 per after I use those up and there is a process to get damage tags but I never have.
Every year it seems that the prices go up or they change some thing to make it less hunter friendly.

Doesn't the "Castle Doctrine" apply on your property? Also known as: (paraphrased) "Can use deadly force to stop a tresspasser who one perceives as a threat to one's life and property...etc." LOL !!

I went though the county and got real no trespassing signs. I have held people at gunpoint, fired warning shoots into windshields and tires, took out the metal grad on the cattle grates (left a 2' by 3' hole in the rood), and had a cop sit in a dark truck half the night to deal with trespassers.

Once the cops take you to jail I will go down and file charges for trespassing and for property damages. I don't call my lawyer unless I'm clamming over $600 or I want the court date moved. I have only lost 3 times and those losses were the judge telling me I can't get but 50% of the lawyer cost back.

I have come close to using deadly force a few times. The closest I have gotten was shooting a guy in the hand with a 357. He pulled a gun on my father in law after he had a gun pointed at him. I was off to the side and I still say "I amide for his gun and missed ;-)". Once the trespasser pointed the gun at my father in law I would have used deadly force but he dropped the gun. The judge still asks me what I was aiming for after 5 years but I still say it was his hand and just smile.

Running Arrow Bill":265xsmqj said:
Doesn't the "Castle Doctrine" apply on your property? Also known as: (paraphrased) "Can use deadly force to stop a tresspasser who one perceives as a threat to one's life and property...etc." LOL !!
yeah, we have that here in Michigan. I should try that one on the conservation officer next time I shoot some of those deer in case I just want to shoot a couple dozen to keep them off my crops - lol.

mnmtranching":39zhd90y said:

BUT HEY :banana: :banana: :banana: The state hiway map is FREEEEEEEEEEE :welcome:

:shock: :shock: Good grief. That's some serious money. And I thought fishing in Florida was expensive.

mnmtranching":2dj0wbz2 said:

Sounds reasonable to me. It's not like you wasted it on something frivolous.

ROCKSPRINGS":pxukwjks said:
Don't feel bad, we need a fresh water stamp to fish in fresh water and a salt water stamp to fish in salt water.. This is in addition to your fishing lic. All about money....

Exactly! There's the Red Drum Tag, Saltwater Trotline Tag, Bait Shrimp Trawl Tag, Bonus Red Drum Tag, Duck Stamp, Migratory Bird Stamp, Bow Hunting Stamp, Turkey Stamp, etc. and you still haven't bought all the supplies you'll need :shock:

I wonder how much a bite of that Montana Muley buck sausage costs me. :compute:

3waycross":10tmwg80 said:

I know what you mean but why should it cost so much to go hunting? What does the Permit buy you? Permission. Permission for what? To hunt on your own land. Or land that your friend may own? Whose paying the taxes on the land. Whose feeding the animals and providing the habitat. The State? I don't think so - not here anyway. What happened to all the tax money generated by the Pittman Robertson Act? I think the state's are getting out of line when they start charging you for each little item in the field. Where will it end? Sorry for the rant, its just that I'd hate to see the hunting experience limited only to the rich.

Jogeephus":3kyr038a said:
3waycross":3kyr038a said:

I know what you mean but why should it cost so much to go hunting? What does the Permit buy you? Permission. Permission for what? To hunt on your own land. Or land that your friend may own? Whose paying the taxes on the land. Whose feeding the animals and providing the habitat. The State? I don't think so - not here anyway. What happened to all the tax money generated by the Pittman Robertson Act? I think the state's are getting out of line when they start charging you for each little item in the field. Where will it end? Sorry for the rant, its just that I'd hate to see the hunting experience limited only to the rich.

Jo
Yer preachin to the choir here my friend. I've watched the cost of hunting in Colo go thru the roof over the last 10 years. Especially for out of staters. In Colo at least we have a LOT of public land so you don't have to pay all that money and then not have a place to hunt. We pay thru the nose every year to hunt birds in S. D. and if we didn't have some access we would be out there beating the heck out of the Walkin areas just like everyone else.

I know what you mean but why should it cost so much to go hunting? What does the Permit buy you? Permission. Permission for what? To hunt on your own land. Or land that your friend may own? Whose paying the taxes on the land. Whose feeding the animals and providing the habitat. The State? I don't think so - not here anyway. What happened to all the tax money generated by the Pittman Robertson Act? I think the state's are getting out of line when they start charging you for each little item in the field. Where will it end? Sorry for the rant, its just that I'd hate to see the hunting experience limited only to the rich.[/quote]

Joe, are you saying you have to pay to hunt your own land?

Latest posts