Hunter Survey

Help Support CattleToday:

rusty":1dxl9fas said:
I know what you mean but why should it cost so much to go hunting? What does the Permit buy you? Permission. Permission for what? To hunt on your own land. Or land that your friend may own? Whose paying the taxes on the land. Whose feeding the animals and providing the habitat. The State? I don't think so - not here anyway. What happened to all the tax money generated by the Pittman Robertson Act? I think the state's are getting out of line when they start charging you for each little item in the field. Where will it end? Sorry for the rant, its just that I'd hate to see the hunting experience limited only to the rich.

Joe, are you saying you have to pay to hunt your own land?[/quote]

Well, kinda sorta and it depends. If you are going to hunt only on your own land you are supposed ot get a Complimentary Hunting License which is free. However, if you are going to shoot ducks you have to buy stamps at the post office. But, if you do get a complimentary hunting license you CANNOT hunt anywhere else in Georgia but your own land. So if you get invited to hunt quail on somebody elses property you are a criminal if you get caught. So, if you want to leave your options open, its best to just give them their tax and get a license.

The reason I asked was here (WV) a land owner can hunt their own land with the same rights as a licened hunter.Now for duck hunting even on own land you still have to have migrotary stamp at PO because it's federal.The sad part about are hunting regs is you have to have a law degree to understand them and they change every year.

Wish we had that Jo, but try telling that to our FWP. These are the same guys who threw a monkey wrench of lies about the Landowner Letter.
A landowner could write a letter to a hunter giving permission to hunt, then that hunter showed it to FWP and that hunter got first chance of getting a tag for that area.
Since locals pay less then the out of state hunters it would have cost FWP money, so they used the sportsman groups and killed it. :mad:

I would have written letters for you guys to come hunt. :D

I deal a lot with the government when it comes to land and such. What I see is a lot of the money that is supposedly collected for the betterment of the habitat is actually being reallocated to other things which, in my opinion, are not conservation oriented but preservation oriented. I won't go into details but if the taxpayer knew about some of these programs I think they would scream bloody murder.

rusty":14uhb3bw said:
The sad part about are hunting regs is you have to have a law degree to understand them and they change every year.

This is the problem when you mix politics with wildlife management. Wildlife mgt. is a science, politics is merely a whim. I studied wildlife mgt. and several years ago we had way too many does but you could not harvest but two a year and then only on certain days. This was stupid. Therefore I simplified the law for our land. I created "Doe Day" and "Be Proud its a Doe Day". On Doe Day it was advisable to keep your tailgate up. On Be Proud Its a Doe Day you could leave your tailgate down. Biologically the practice was sound. Legally it was wrong, but the deer population benefitted from this practice and we got the county record to prove it.

We had sort of the same problem but it got to the point that each hunter could kill to many deer ,with the right tags.Then they finally cut back on the doe kills so the herds have picked up.The DNR is susposed to get the money or percent of from licence so much from anything hunting related guns ,shells,call( you get the point) to support them.I'm over a 7200 hunting lease that we are trying to manage with no doe kills and only bucks 15 inches wide or better (ear tip to ear tip) this seems to be working.

We do a does only and have been doing so for several years. The buck population has increased around us since we started that and a few neighbors have done the same thing.
Let our hunters who have been taking does for years harvest a few bucks. 1 pair of hunters too a 5x6 non typical and a nice 6x6 buck.
Went from having 1 buck with a herd of 20+ does to 2 bucks with 15 does.

Our state finally changed their view of the doe harvest and are finally concentrating on balance and age structure. Howoever, the years letting the sacred doe walk has created a large number of hunters who think its wrong to kill does under any circumstances. They seem to prefer to kill those trophy spikes instead. They must have a recipe for antlers that I don't know about. :lol2:

The reason we hold off does is population.Once we get that right we'll probably require membership to kill a doe before they can take a buck.To many, not enough its all about ratio and what they have to eat.

rusty":1gzltlkk said:
The reason we hold off does is population.Once we get that right we'll probably require membership to kill a doe before they can take a buck.To many, not enough its all about ratio and what they have to eat.

I agree. This is why it is so important to keep politics out of wildlife management. Our ratio is about 20:1 in some areas. I'd rather see quality than quantity. Of course if I could have both I'll take that too. :nod:

Jogeephus":2ke3a0nn said:
rusty":2ke3a0nn said:

I agree. This is why it is so important to keep politics out of wildlife management. Our ratio is about 20:1 in some areas. I'd rather see quality than quantity. Of course if I could have both I'll take that too. :nod:
But even that can be carried too far. Does were pushed as the solution to the un even ration in MO. They've got it so balanced now that a lot of people hunt hard and don;t even see a deer.

Jogeephus":hyki3nkn said:
3waycross":hyki3nkn said:
Sounds reasonable to me. It's not like you wasted it on something frivolous.

I know what you mean but why should it cost so much to go hunting? What does the Permit buy you? Permission. Permission for what? To hunt on your own land. Or land that your friend may own? Whose paying the taxes on the land. Whose feeding the animals and providing the habitat. The State? I don't think so - not here anyway. What happened to all the tax money generated by the Pittman Robertson Act? I think the state's are getting out of line when they start charging you for each little item in the field. Where will it end? Sorry for the rant, its just that I'd hate to see the hunting experience limited only to the rich.

Good point Jo, we used to have a outdoor show on the local TV years ago and we had a host that really stood up for hunters and fishermans rights, Fred Trost - R.I.P. And he stated once that the permit is just a tax, not really caring too much about the qualification like a tested lisence. As far as the Pittman-Robertson funds, remember all that fraud that was uncovered a few years back with the FWS diverting the money into non-game programs?

Latest posts