"hunter" mistakes woman for a deer. Kills her.

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm not sure anyone pays much attention to what they shoot. A guy shot a red stag a couple days ago thinking it was a deer

TB521":24pk0pes said:
I'm not sure anyone pays much attention to what they shoot. A guy shot a red stag a couple days ago thinking it was a deer
You my friend could not be more wrong. just because you can find A FEW people that are bad, so called, hunters DOES NOT MEAN that all of us are. I will be 54 yrs. old in about 2 weeks and have not missed a deer season for 48 yrs. I was trained to hunt and hunt right and I DO PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT I SHOOT !!!!!!!! you can speak for your self and maybe your friends and maybe some dope head in your neck of the woods but as for me I KNOW WHAT I AM SHOOTING WHEN I PULL THE TRIGGER.
KB

If the article I read today is accurate, the firearm used was a single shot handgun and the "deer" was approx 200 yards away. 200 yards, a handgun and after dark? Not something I'd want to trust my old eyes to tell the truth.

(I personally do not deer hunt nowadays, but have nothing at all against those that do)

greybeard":3sfsgc76 said:
If the article I read today is accurate, the firearm used was a single shot handgun and the "deer" was approx 200 yards away. 200 yards, a handgun and after dark? Not something I'd want to trust my old eyes to tell the truth.

(I personally do not deer hunt nowadays, but have nothing at all against those that do)
And only 100 yards from the house?
When I saw this story earlier I was so pizzed off. Hope they get the jerk for at least manslaughter and never let him own a firearm or get a hunting license again.

Disgusting! I will second the suggestion of manslaughter.

Regarding hunters. I don't know statistics on how many identify their target before shooting but there is not a hunter on this board I dare say that cannot relate a story about some "hunter" shooting at "What I think was a Deer".

Here is my most recent: David my cousin brought his neighbor (a retired airline pilot) here to hunt deer. David got back early after shooting a doe. We were waiting in the shop. We heard 3 shots. When the pilot got back, David ask him if he got the deer. His response as best as I remember:

"I don't think so. I saw something black going into the woods and shot 3 times at it. I think it was a deer." David looked at me. No words were necessary. David said, "You do know Ron has black cows?" The pilot said, "no, not a cow, it was too small. I thought it was a deer in the shadows." David said, "You don't shoot unless you know it was a GD deer." David and I took the cub cadet and searched the area. No deer.

About a week later, I found the deer about 200 yards up the creek from where the guy said he shot.

Bright Raven":7b54tufh said:
Disgusting! I will second the suggestion of manslaughter.

Regarding hunters. I don't know statistics on how many identify their target before shooting but there is not a hunter on this board I dare say that cannot relate a story about some "hunter" shooting at "What I think was a Deer".

Here is my most recent: David my cousin brought his neighbor (a retired airline pilot) here to hunt deer. David got back early after shooting a doe. We were waiting in the shop. We heard 3 shots. When the pilot got back, David ask him if he got the deer. His response as best as I remember:

"I don't think so. I saw something black going into the woods and shot 3 times at it. I think it was a deer." David looked at me. No words were necessary. David said, "You do know Ron has black cows?" The pilot said, "no, not a cow, it was too small. I thought it was a deer in the shadows." David said, "You don't shoot unless you know it was a GD deer." David and I took the cub cadet and searched the area. No deer.

About a week later, I found the deer about 200 yards up the creek from where the guy said he shot.

I'm so happy all my hunters use bows. Well, the ones with permission anyway. Poachers gonna poach.

Craig Miller":3v93sps3 said:
Something sounds fishy. 200 yrds it a pretty good shot with a handgun. And after sunset.

No problem Craig! He was holding it sideways..increases accuracy and distance..just ask Hollywood. :lol2:

Some people know allow hog hunts on their property in between deer season. They had 2 husband and wife couples come every year from up north. Couple years ago one guy shot the other on accident. Apparently they got out of the blind and split up. When one was walking back to the other the one guy shot the other as he crawled under a fence. The guy said he thought he was a hog. Killed the guy right there. They were long time friends and both were cops up north. :shock:

bball":2910kovp said:
Craig Miller":2910kovp said:
Something sounds fishy. 200 yrds it a pretty good shot with a handgun. And after sunset.

No problem Craig! He was holding it sideways..increases accuracy and distance..just ask Hollywood. :lol2:

Yup, if your throw your arm forward toward the target as you shoot you can gain another 50 yds with a hand gun. :nod:

As most on here know I live in Okla. a lot of people in Okla. are football crazy, me I could care less. I read just last year that on opening day of Okla. deer gun season that there is more people in the woods deer hunting than there is at and OU, OSU, and Tulsa football game combined. That's a lot of people JUST IN OKLA. not counting all the other states and you hear of very few things like this happing. There is bad people in every group but does not mean all is. Everyone on here can probably tell of some idiot that did something stupid while SO CALLED HUNTING but does not mean all hunters are bad. There will be some nut case think we should band hunting now because of what this SO CALLED HUNTER did. It is always easy to go against something you don't do or care very little for. Wonder how many will be hurt today going to a football game because someone had to much to drink ? wonder how many will die today because some driver was texting, or drank one to many, or just was not watching where they were going. There will be so many killed in a car crash that it won't even make international news like this story has. The reason why this story has took off like it has is because it is not something that happens very often because a real hunter knows what he is shooting before he pulls the trigger. The liberal news lives for stories like this, they probably threw a party when they heard it. It contained guns and so called hunting two things they would love to stop now.

I'm guilty of shooting at a deer that I wasn't positive was a deer. Once I started to think about it it scared and worried me to death till I went and found the deer. Here's the story, I shot a big buck in the point of shoulder at 15 yds and he ran into a pine thicket somehow. I was nervous and knew there was no way I could of missed the buck, but I was in shock as he he ran about 30 yds in woods I could see him through. When I stood up in my stand to try and calm my nerves and get the cramps out of my legs I saw what I thought was a deer tail twitching in a hole about 10 yds into the thicket that the buck ran into. I raised my rifle and put the X about a foot forward of where I THOUGHT the tail - ham was and shot. At that point I wasn't sure if I hit the deer or not because the woods were so thick.
I'm not sure why I started to think that maybe it wasn't a deer tail I saw before I shot the second, but I did and pure panic overwhelmed me. Needless to say I was very happy and relieved once I found the buck laying dead where I had shot the second time. I ASSUMED it was the same buck when I shot the second time but wasn't a 100%, and that will never again.
Even on private family property behind locked gates you still need to know 100% what your target is before you pull the trigger. A deer is not worth someone's life......deadbeats, freeloaders and liberals?

True Grit Farms":2ka60gaz said:
I'm guilty of shooting at a deer that I wasn't positive was a deer. Once I started to think about it it scared and worried me to death till I went and found the deer. Here's the story, I shot a big buck in the point of shoulder at 15 yds and he ran into a pine thicket somehow. I was nervous and knew there was no way I could of missed the buck, but I was in shock as he he ran about 30 yds in woods I could see him through. When I stood up in my stand to try and calm my nerves and get the cramps out of my legs I saw what I thought was a deer tail twitching in a hole about 10 yds into the thicket that the buck ran into. I raised my rifle and put the X about a foot forward of where I THOUGHT the tail - ham was and shot. At that point I wasn't sure if I hit the deer or not because the woods were so thick.
I'm not sure why I started to think that maybe it wasn't a deer tail I saw before I shot the second, but I did and pure panic overwhelmed me. Needless to say I was very happy and relieved once I found the buck laying dead where I had shot the second time. I ASSUMED it was the same buck when I shot the second time but wasn't a 100%, and that will never again.
Even on private family property behind locked gates you still need to know 100% what your target is before you pull the trigger. A deer is not worth someone's life......deadbeats, freeloaders and liberals?

I admire your honesty. That is one of your most worthy traits. It does appear that as ye have notable qualities, a flaw is becoming apparent. I only mention this because you are open and honest. The flaw is the same as the one you exhibited in the Black Security Guard incident- you did not feel safe! This incident involves a bad case of nerves that had you making misjudgments that could have resulted in a life altering event. May I, only because we are such good friends, suggest that you carry a flask of your favorite whiskey. When you feel a bad case of nerves coming on, take a swig.

kenny thomas":2b9brkop said:
Here there are more shots from the road driving by than from a tree stand. Its really,bad.

In Wyoming, the non-residents would come in to hunt antelope. Of course not going home with one was not to be a possibility. After missing them for a few days, they abandon all attempts to stalk one and begin "flock shooting". A term used by residents to describe a hunter who gets a herd moving and just fires on the whole herd without sighting on one antelope. I cannot begin to tell you how many antelope are running around pulling a string of their guts or with a front leg flapping over their back.

Bright Raven":wjxm2vmr said:
True Grit Farms":wjxm2vmr said:

I admire your honesty. That is one of your most worthy traits. It does appear that as ye have notable qualities, a flaw is becoming apparent. I only mention this because you are open and honest. The flaw is the same as the one you exhibited in the Black Security Guard incident- you did not feel safe! This incident involves a bad case of nerves that had you making misjudgments that could have resulted in a life altering event. May I, only because we are such good friends, suggest that you carry a flask of your favorite whiskey. When you feel a bad case of nerves coming on, take a swig.
I know my limitations and alcohol is something I have to live without.

True Grit Farms":35n3ithu said:
Bright Raven":35n3ithu said:
True Grit Farms":35n3ithu said:

I know my limitations and alcohol is something I have to live without.

You know it was humor and maybe not a good thing to joke about.

Latest posts