Humorous to me.................

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Between the pasture that the calves spent their first week in and a hay field is a 32" high single strand of Hi-tensile electric fence. They've been behind hot wire ever since, but 28" high so they know about electricity. That first week they were used to just walking under the wire into the hay field. This morning I moved the cows to the hay field for a couple of days. The calves came wandering over to the hotwire they used to just walk under and tried to go to the other pasture. There is a bunch of VERY surprised calves this morning.
Funny to me anyway…………….

dun

I can't blame them, Dun.
Last fall I was walking the fenceline, checking the hotwire. I always unplug the fencer, because let's face it, who wants to get hit?

I found a section that had come down, and when I picked up the wire to pop it back into the insulator, KER-WHAMMO!!!! Knocked me on my butt.

Darned if my dear beloved hadn't noticed that the fencer was unplugged...and like a good concientious guy, rectified the situation.

Even when I know that darn thing is unplugged now, I still have to kind of straighten my spine and talk myself into initially touching that wire, so as your calves as figuring all that out must be pretty entertaining to watch.

Take care.

I was once using a barnbed wire fence for the ground on a temporary run of wire with a portable charger. It was a dewy damp morning and i reached through the barbed wire, didn't touch a strand. The moisture and the inductance from the fencer was enough that I didn't feel a thing, but I was sitting 10 feet away wondering how I had gotten there. Wonderfull tool, horrible nightmare.

dun

CattleAnnie":3p73hik5 said:
I can't blame them, Dun.
Last fall I was walking the fenceline, checking the hotwire. I always unplug the fencer, because let's face it, who wants to get hit?

I found a section that had come down, and when I picked up the wire to pop it back into the insulator, KER-WHAMMO!!!! Knocked me on my butt.

Darned if my dear beloved hadn't noticed that the fencer was unplugged...and like a good concientious guy, rectified the situation.

Even when I know that darn thing is unplugged now, I still have to kind of straighten my spine and talk myself into initially touching that wire, so as your calves as figuring all that out must be pretty entertaining to watch.

Take care.

cherokeeruby":27tw9s7c said:
What is funny is to watch a cat walk under an electric wire that is just low enough to hit their tail. :lol:
Poor little kitty's :cry: :cry: :cry:

D.R. Cattle":dl82x69d said:
I was referring to the lightning bolt.
Where do you want it from?
Campground Cattle, D.R. Cattle or me.
I know Campground and myself has plenty to spare.
Probaly D.R. Cattle too.

I'll take rain from where ever I can get it. TIA :D

la4angus":1cpt3z8n said:
D.R. Cattle":1cpt3z8n said:
Probaly D.R. Cattle too.

Isn't that just life? You need moisture and I'd love to find a square foot of dry ground up here.
Our latest spring snowstorm finally blew out of here two days ago, and after two days of snow and wind ended up with three inches of accumulated moisture.
Blessing for the hayfields and pastures, but hell for choring and calving. Maybe some of that system will make it your way. I'll trade you for some sunshine.

Take care.

You have a deal.

CattleAnnie":2ed6xecl said:
Isn't that just life? You need moisture and I'd love to find a square foot of dry ground up here.
Our latest spring snowstorm finally blew out of here two days ago, and after two days of snow and wind ended up with three inches of accumulated moisture.
Blessing for the hayfields and pastures, but hell for choring and calving. Maybe some of that system will make it your way. I'll trade you for some sunshine.

Take care.

CattleAnnie":38rg8j5o said:
Even when I know that darn thing is unplugged now, I still have to kind of straighten my spine and talk myself into initially touching that wire,

a tip that helps is to hold a green stem of grass and touch it w/that first......still has some kick to it but not nearly as much as a bare hand.

cherokeeruby":2j6su7lg said:

la4angus":2j6su7lg said:
D.R. Cattle":2j6su7lg said:
Probaly D.R. Cattle too.

Heck Sunday was the first day I have been able to get into one of the bottom pastures, other to wet. Rain predicted for Wed. I still haven't been able to fertilize.

Campground Cattle":38309r5d said:
cherokeeruby":38309r5d said:

la4angus":38309r5d said:
D.R. Cattle":38309r5d said:
Probaly D.R. Cattle too.

Heck Sunday was the first day I have been able to get into one of the bottom pastures, other to wet. Rain predicted for Wed. I still haven't been able to fertilize.

we're wet down here, too. luckily we got in to fertilize in between rains. i heard this afternoon there's more predicted for later this week.

My tip is always carry a fence tester when working around hot wire.

dun

txag":bhzie8c5 said:
CattleAnnie":bhzie8c5 said:
Even when I know that darn thing is unplugged now, I still have to kind of straighten my spine and talk myself into initially touching that wire,

a tip that helps is to hold a green stem of grass and touch it w/that first......still has some kick to it but not nearly as much as a bare hand.

dun":23g43jr4 said:

dun

txag":23g43jr4 said:
CattleAnnie":23g43jr4 said:

:lol: of course that's the best option!

Being paranoid is sometimes a real plus. If you happen to be in a vehicle and don't have a tester, if you get close to the fence and tune the radio slightly off station you'll frequently be able to pick up the interference of the fence if it's on.

dun

txag":2yrbj4u6 said:
dun":2yrbj4u6 said:

dun

txag":2yrbj4u6 said:
CattleAnnie":2yrbj4u6 said:

:lol: of course that's the best option!

Latest posts