Hummingbirds

Help Support CattleToday:

Just Curious

Reaction score
Do we have any hummingbird experts out there?
I do not consider myself one or any resemblance thereof... But I do like to feed them..
We have been feeding them up here in Montana for several weeks now and then we got the 4+" of snow earlier this week...
When I have been lucky enough to stumble accross a hummingbird nest, they have always been built on something cylindrical... I branch or a pipe... They have also been build above an arms length off the ground...
The snow we had was very wet and we had not only our grass/brush flattened, but we had a lot tree limbs snap and a couple of full size trees...
I was just thinking about the little hummers and what impact this might have had on their nesting season... They are still coming to the feeders... Anyone have any thoughts?
Chuck
Ronan, MT

I have only seen one hummingbird nest, way up in a Mimosa tree when I was a kid. I haven't seen any this year, but they do come and hit the blossoms on the Morning Glories.

It is said that a racoon can be a quai's best friend. When I first heard this it puzzled me as I knew coons would devastate a nest of quail eggs. However, in so doing, they spread the nesting and hatching period out cause the hen will give it another go. This spreads out the number of young birds seeking resources and more birds actually will survive. Don't know about hummingbirds but think this principle might apply to these as well. Nature is resillient. JMO

They are really late here . Usually I have at least 15 feeders out at this time and have gone through 10 kg's of sugar. However now I have only three feeders out and have had to refill them only twice. :(

I hope they eventually all show up ,they are amazing ,beautiful creatures.

For those that have actually seen a nest you are very lucky.. :mrgreen:

Lats year we actually had a few Calliope (sp?).

I love feeding the hummingbirds! I was surprised when I first started feeding them years ago how much time was spent by them fighting and guarding the feeders ~ and they chatter so loud. The feeder is placed right outside the window so that my family can watch them. To fill it all I have to do is open the window, pop the screen and grab it. They hear the window open and they are waiting when I come back wih more ~ they have learned that to listen for it. What funny little things they are.

Am far from being an expert Chuck, but your birds are fine. They can tolerate much, and are good parents.

No doubt some nests lost. Some species will nest again, don't know about Humming Birds. One thing for sure, been plenty of years with late snow and Humming Birds and lots of other warm weather critters have survived.

Here is a pic of the kind we have around here. They keep the yard pretty active this time of year.

close.jpg

you can go to, you tube type in hummingbirds an o the things you will see. angie its funny little birds to big cows know the sound of dinner bell.

You can put some Red Wine in the feeders and watch the fun, just like humans, all they want to do is fight an breed.

Latest posts