HummingBirds

Help Support CattleToday:

Just_a_girl

Reaction score
I have several hummingbird feeders that came with concentrated nectar hanging about the place, which also attracks bees. Not many bees, just a couple at a time seems. I have on 3 different occasion seen a hummingbird at one feeder, the feeder where the bees are. Not sure the hummingbirds have found the other feeders yet, only because I have not seen any there......yet.

I do clean and add fresh nectar when the feeder hangs for undistrubed for awhile.......

A few questions.....

1. What are you using to attrack hummingbirds to your garden/yard? Are you using a special nectar you mix yourself, and container?

2. Will the bees eventually keep the hummingbirds from coming to feed?

thank you!

BTW, the other day, I actually saw one sitting on a branch. That was neat, I had never seen one be still before except in pictures. :D Yeah, I know, I excite easily.....but it didn't cost a thing to enjoy it. ;-)

Have a nice day....

My wife makes it out of sugar and water. Don't remember the mix. She never puts a lot in the feeders. Just enough for a few days since it can go bad and kill the birds. I planted some shrimp plants near the feeders as well. They seem to like those.

my grandma used 3 parts sugar to 1 part water.

i just have plants that they like planted all around.

Wife uses 1 cup water with 1/4 cup sugar. Our feeder is a glass bottle that screws into a plastic base which has a place for them to perch. They sit on it quite a bit and drink.

1 cup of water to 1/4 cup of sugar. Bee's will not bug birds. My feeders also have perch on the base that the birds will sit on. I have too take my screen off the window to hang the feeder and the birds learn to listen to the sound of that screen coming off. They will flock to the feeder as I am trying to hang it. Good thing to have more than one feeder as they will gaurd the feeders. They should not be able to see any feeder other than the one they are at.

thanks everyone for info...

I have to look up "shrimp plant" I have no clue as to what type of plant that is. First thought that came to mind, must stink. :lol: I'm sure I'm wrong, but that is what popped into my head when I thought...wonder why they call it shrimp plant?

I have a feeder in the front, back, and one on the side of the house. I also have seeds in feeders for other birds, but those feeders are quite distance away from the hummingbird feeders. Had a hummingbird checking out my roses in the backyard yesterday morning. I just happen to looking out the window and there he was.

Just A Girl, It's the bees that need to beware of the hummingbirds. They are ferociously territorial. I've seen those shrimp plants but never tried one. The blooms look somewhat like shrimp.

ga. prime":3dbxxw7g said:
Just A Girl, It's the bees that need to beware of the hummingbirds. They are ferociously territorial.

I noticed that the other day. :shock: They might be small, but they're feisty little suckers! :lol:

I think there are 3 or 4 hummingbirds, which is great because I have not seen any around the house before. I've been watching them zip around one feeder early morning and late afternoon. I've been trying to get a closer look at them. I Just had one come within inches of where I was sitting next to an Azalea plant that it was eyeing. It just hovered there for a few minutes and then went on to my Lantana plant. All I could tell was that it was dark in color with a ligh marking on its head. It was really neat! :D

I started out with my feeders away from the house, but then decided to gradually move one feeder closer to see if I could take a picture. Last week, I moved one feeder right next to the house and waited. A hummingbird comes each morning and late afternoon to the feeder, so today I decided that maybe I could get a good picture. I'm waiting with camera in hand, hummingbird comes along and starts to feed. I click a couple a pictures, I check camera to see what I have. I got 2 very nice pictures of my feeder, but no hummingbird. :roll: :lol2:

Fast little sucker.... :p