Humidity in the shop?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
We built a shop this year and in this nasty weather the humidity in it has bees 55-60%. I got a lot of tools that I would like to keep from rusting. Maybe I am being over concerned but would rather be cautious. It is a pole construction building with fiberglass insulation in the roof and the double bubble on the walls. I don't plan on heating it full time but am planning on adding more insulation to the walls for sure. At that point I may try to keep it above freezing.

Would running a dehumidifier help? The articles I read on them say the efficiency of the standard really drop off below 50 degrees. This one says it works down to 34 degrees :
https://www.amazon.com/EcoSeb-DD122EA-C ... op?ie=UTF8

It is a 30 x 40 with 12 foot ceilings. Concrete has vapor barrier under it.

ddd75":132cpdw3 said:
that fiberglass is probably nothing but water now.

Why do you say that? You see that insulation in a lot of steel buildings.

I've never thought about humidity in a shop here. It's always high. Up to 100 percent. Most everybody's tool shops are open to outside air in some way. Could be why we've all got rusty tools.

tom4018":384bcdg6 said:
We built a shop this year and in this nasty weather the humidity in it has bees 55-60%. I got a lot of tools that I would like to keep from rusting. Maybe I am being over concerned but would rather be cautious. It is a pole construction building with fiberglass insulation in the roof and the double bubble on the walls. I don't plan on heating it full time but am planning on adding more insulation to the walls for sure. At that point I may try to keep it above freezing.

Would running a dehumidifier help? The articles I read on them say the efficiency of the standard really drop off below 50 degrees. This one says it works down to 34 degrees :
https://www.amazon.com/EcoSeb-DD122EA-C ... op?ie=UTF8

It is a 30 x 40 with 12 foot ceilings. Concrete has vapor barrier under it.

That would he low humidity for the house much less the shop.
Average humidity is 90% plus here I don't have a problem with rust it's mud dabers. If it has a hole or crack they have it plugged up.

tom4018":kao14z2y said:
ddd75":kao14z2y said:
that fiberglass is probably nothing but water now.

Why do you say that? You see that insulation in a lot of steel buildings.

I don't see if very often and when you pull it its usually moldy and damp.

If you want to do it right i'd spray foam the roof underside and use polyiso on the sides.

Latest posts