Huh? Comments, please

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":2n9d0ukd said:
ollie":2n9d0ukd said:
Are you saying then that the first selection criteria you put on your replacement heifers that you buy, behind breed choice, is epd's?

If that's all I have to work with, yes it is.

dun
Your qualifier completely changed the nature of the question.
I asked after breed choice are you saying the first selection criteria you sort with is their epd's then pedigree then ranch they come from then go look? I don't think so.

As was just posted by someone else, and I have said before, if they don't meet ALL of the selection criteria they don't make the cut. I can eliminate a lot of animals by using EPDs so I don't wast my time looking at 300 head that only a few would make the cut. I don't see this as a hard to understand concept. I like the previous posters analogy of the car.
In 1959 I got burned badly on a used car. Looked great, moderate mileage for it's age, ran smooth, no clunks or strange noises so I bought it. If I would have known that the transmission was filled with sawdust and Alemite CD2 I sure wouldn't have bought it.
Information is what allows you to nake the right choices more often then wrong choices.

dun

Frankie":2udrk25w said:
I'd never try to select my cattle by EPD alone. But once I find an animal I like, if their EPDs don't meet my requirements, I won't buy it.
Lets just say I agree with Frankie.

ollie":w86do650 said:
Frankie":w86do650 said:
I'd never try to select my cattle by EPD alone. But once I find an animal I like, if their EPDs don't meet my requirements, I won't buy it.
Lets just say I agree with Frankie.

I believe that's what Frankie and I and a bunch of others have been saying all along.
It's just that she and I seem to allow ourselves to be drug into these p---ing contests more then others.

dun

dun":29ofasw1 said:
ollie":29ofasw1 said:
They started the process at the wrong end of the decision making process.Phenotype then use epd's to cull with.

How do you use phenotype when all you have are names and registration numbers? Until you actually lay eyes on them all you have to work with is EPDs, and in some cases YFS, pelvic, ratios, actual weights, etc. Why not do the preliminary work with what you have at end first, then use the next set of tools available?

dun
I know your memory isn't the best you say but this is the statement that you jumped into the discussion on. Please explain what is different in my statement as you compare it to the one that I just posted of Frankies.

Why yes, I do look at codes and formulas. In order for me to make a program I have to know how to put formulas and equations together to correlate. And one has to know what is where if things are questionable

Simply asking a question on the accuracy weight and EPD's, which you saying can't go by it. Basically - Yeah -80 could be worse than 60 or even 50. I've seen weights and EPD's all over the place, but yet it just proves that don't expect to get a nice weight animals even though they
have a great EPD. Even though that's what sells an animal, high EPD's - that's what will give you the edge on your cattle -so it is said.. It is all to inconsistent. Gave up on EPD's after a few years of let down(with lovely EPD's and pedigrees that were the great thing in the Midwest) and went back to the consistent results - lineage actual's(weight, ultrasound, feedlot, carcass). Oh sorry to say that I have had no influence in how other producers in the state view EPD's as a let down. They nixed them after EPD's failed them, long before me. And yes a couple have become customers and have been tickled on how well they do. Just because I don't rely on EPD's doesn't mean I raise meager cattle.

I've been hinting(questioning) to you that your average that was 0 in 1977 is now adjusted to about 77. You should have known that being a follower of EPD's.

Minority breed? What a shame that you dis any breed except Angus. I think it is great that everyone has there own breed(s) they want to raise for what ever reason. Check out how many breeds there are in the US and then check out how many of them have MARC. Yeah pretty obvious you don't want to see an across breed comparison. Every breed has something to share and not be pounded into the ground.

You and I obviously do not see eye to eye on EPD's and can go on and on, you see them as wonderful devise, I see them as a thick smoke screen, so you are going to us EPD's as you always have and I will use historical and gene actuals, and when/if EPD's are consistent, reliable
and factual perhaps I will look into them again, but as for theories aren't going to work. Especially when one can not examine all the breeds/individuals across for what they are. As is my original concern to have across breeds examination.

jt":34dwdihm said:
i am pretty simple minded when it comes to these things, (not by choice but abilities) but to me epd's are nothing more than another bit of info that i can get on the cattle i am looking at.

it doesnt matter whether you are buying cattle or cars or what, you usually want all the info you can get on the product.

2 used cars with the same miles and age and looks, except one was driven by a little old lady and the other buy a lead foot hotrodder.. which one do you think you want? just more info to help you make the decision... and to me that is all epds are, and if that is all you can get is epds, then so be it. i see that as better than nothing. i know that is not going to be the case hardly ever, but all i am trying to say is it is another bit of info, and am saying it without ranking it. i will reject a cow on not only epds, but also looks, pedigree, etc etc. it is a package deal. the cow has to pass them all.

jt

Hehehehe.

Simple minded JT? Nah I think you have it figured out. EPD's are a tool and to put more focus on one of your tools than another will leave you with scraped knuckles.

amazed":vl18fltd said:
to put more focus on one of your tools than another will leave you with scraped knuckles.

and i have had my fair share of them.. LOL

jt

cattle_gal":3ef4d63r said:
Why yes, I do look at codes and formulas. In order for me to make a program I have to know how to put formulas and equations together to correlate. And one has to know what is where if things are questionable

OK, here are some codes and formulas for you to look at.

This is the BIF Cattle Evaluation site: http://beefimprovement.org/guidelines/Chap5.PDF

This explains Contemporary Groupings:
http://www.beefimprovement.org/guidelines/Chap3.PDF

and this is Animal Model for a Maternally Influenced Trait:
http://www.beefimprovement.org/guidelines/App5-1.PDF

And from the Angus Sire Summary: http://www.angus.org/sireeval/wean_year.html

Weaning/Yearling
Weaning weight/Yearling weight/Maternal Milk. Weaning weight/ postweaning gain were evaluated together in a multi-trait model. As it is recommended by the Beef Improvement Federation (BIF) for the evaluation of maternally influenced traits, a direct genetic effect, a maternal genetic effect and a maternal permanent environmental effect were fitted for weaning weight. Direct and maternal effects were not assumed to be correlated. Postweaning gain was not considered to be maternally influenced and, therefore, the direct genetic effect was the only random effect fitted. Weaning weight direct and postweaning gain were assumed to be correlated. Yearling weight EPDs were calculated from the EPDs for weaning weight direct and postweaning gain.
Yearling height. Yearling height was evaluated in a multi-trait model including 365-day adjusted yearling weight as a genetically correlated trait.
Scrotal circumference. This multi-trait animal model, encompassing yearling weight and scrotal performance data, includes an additional generation of pedigree added to improve pedigree ties and expand the availability of interim EPD values.

This is all available to anyone who truly wants the questions you've asked answered. I'll stand by my belief that you really don't want to know more about EPDs. You don't like them and are perfectly happy complaining about them instead of using them properly.

Simply asking a question on the accuracy weight and EPD's, which you saying can't go by it. Basically - Yeah -80 could be worse than 60 or even 50. I've seen weights and EPD's all over the place, but yet it just proves that don't expect to get a nice weight animals even though they
have a great EPD.

I've posted information explaining that EPDs have nothing to do with what an animal will weigh. Ever. You continue to ignore that. And again, what is a "great" EPD?

Even though that's what sells an animal, high EPD's - that's what will give you the edge on your cattle -so it is said.. It is all to inconsistent.

Apparently you're doing fine without EPDs. So why are you complaining that high EPDs are "what sells an animal"? If you have consistent cattle, you'll have consistent EPDs. I'd suggest that crossbreeding as you're doing will lead to inconsistent cattle, as well as unreliable EPDs.

Gave up on EPD's after a few years of let down(with lovely EPD's and pedigrees that were the great thing in the Midwest) and went back to the consistent results - lineage actual's(weight, ultrasound, feedlot, carcass).

Again, what are "lovely EPDs?" There are no good ones or bad ones. Everyone needs to collect actual performance data on their cattle; it will make their breed's EPDs more reliable.

Oh sorry to say that I have had no influence in how other producers in the state view EPD's as a let down. They nixed them after EPD's failed them, long before me.

Thank goodness there's no requirement for a person to use EPDs. If a person want's to leave a valuable tool on the shelf, that's his choice.

And yes a couple have become customers and have been tickled on how well they do. Just because I don't rely on EPD's doesn't mean I raise meager cattle.

Then, out of curosity, why are you so PO-ed that the Angus Association is not joining into the BIF program?

I've been hinting(questioning) to you that your average that was 0 in 1977 is now adjusted to about 77. You should have known that being a follower of EPD's.

But you don't say for which trait? And are you talking about actual performance or an EPD? The Angus site, http://www.angus.org, has average EPDs of the breed on their website. I'm not going to dig it up for you. If you really wanted to know, Angus average EPDs are available several plances.

Minority breed? What a shame that you dis any breed except Angus.

I don't dis every breed except Angus. I have a lot of respect for several breeds whose breeders are working hard to create branded beef programs, reliable EPDs, etc. I don't believe I've ever seen a Chi and only know one person who claims to have owned part of a Chi bull years ago. I do not have much patience with someone who will come on this board and whine and cry about something not working when they have no understanding of how it's supposed to work.

I think it is great that everyone has there own breed(s) they want to raise for what ever reason. Check out how many breeds there are in the US and then check out how many of them have MARC.

Yeah, check out the number 1 complaint of consumers about beef. Surely you know what that is? If not, I'll tell you: it's inconsistency. Chicken and pork are eating our lunch because they are so consistent. You know what a chicken will taste like when you buy it at the supermarket. You may not like it, but you know what to expect. IMO, the wide variety of breeds in the US is a major contributor to that inconsistency.

Yeah pretty obvious you don't want to see an across breed comparison. Every breed has something to share and not be pounded into the ground

My breed can be compared across breeds with many others. You're the one who chose a special breed and now complain because no one is willing to support it. While every breed may have something to share, I don't agree that every breed has something worthwhile to share.

You and I obviously do not see eye to eye on EPD's and can go on and on, you see them as wonderful devise, I see them as a thick smoke screen, so you are going to us EPD's as you always have and I will use historical and gene actuals,

EPDs take all that actual performance into consideration and more history than you can possibly incorporate.

and when/if EPD's are consistent, reliableand factual perhaps I will look into them again, but as for theories aren't going to work.

EPDs aren't theory. They work. Several universities have proven that. When the Angus Association first came out with the Milk EPD, University professors were knocking themselves out to milk their Angus cows and see if the ones with a high milk EPD actually produced more milk than those with lower milk EPDs. And they did. (BTW, the milk EPD is actually measured in pounds of calf weaned, not pounds of milk, but there is some correlation). OK State did a several year project where they bred similar cows to Angus bulls with high milk EPDs and low milk EPDs. They then kept heifers and measured the difference in their milk production and pounds of calf produced. They found the milk EPDs to be quite accurate. EPDs are not a fad; they're here to stay.

Especially when one can not examine all the breeds/individuals across for what they are. As is my original concern to have across breeds examination.

Oh? I thought you wanted to look at the program that created EPDs in case a dozen universities and breed associations might have made a mistake in their computation?

Frankie":1guh951r said:
[ as well as unreliable EPDs.
Frankie , You feeling ill? First I agree with you then you admit there is an unreliable epd. Surely you intended to say "low accuracy".

ollie":29h00j9n said:
Frankie":29h00j9n said:
[ as well as unreliable EPDs.
Frankie , You feeling ill? First I agree with you then you admit there is an unreliable epd. Surely you intended to say "low accuracy".

Surely you meant to put a :p here, Ollie?

One point of interest that I would like for you to address Frankie which I am not sure I understand.
If I am not wrong the epd figure is the number a given sire "should" produce which is one half of his genetic potential when mated to the average cow within the breed.
An example would be bull X with a ww of +50 should sire calves 25 lbs heavier on average than bull Y with a ww of +25 .
These formulas if for an angus bull would be calculated using the average of all the angus cows ww as the divider of each of the respective bulls progeny.
For argument lets say the average angus cows ww epd using the marc ABC epd is zero . What should we expect when bull Y and Bull X are mated to a set of huge Maine cows with a ABC epd of +50?
How would that vary when the same bulls were mated to a set of small Jersey cows with an ABC epd of -100?
Am I right in thinking the Jerseys would show more genetic expression from the bull because they are a smaller denominator ?
Conversley wouldn't the higher preformance set of mains show less difference between the two bulls?

ollie":36p1t4iv said:
One point of interest that I would like for you to address Frankie which I am not sure I understand.
If I am not wrong the epd figure is the number a given sire "should" produce which is one half of his genetic potential when mated to the average cow within the breed.
An example would be bull X with a ww of +50 should sire calves 25 lbs heavier on average than bull Y with a ww of +25 .
These formulas if for an angus bull would be calculated using the average of all the angus cows ww as the divider of each of the respective bulls progeny.
For argument lets say the average angus cows ww epd using the marc ABC epd is zero . What should we expect when bull Y and Bull X are mated to a set of huge Maine cows with a ABC epd of +50?
How would that vary when the same bulls were mated to a set of small Jersey cows with an ABC epd of -100?
Am I right in thinking the Jerseys would show more genetic expression from the bull because they are a smaller denominator ?
Conversley wouldn't the higher preformance set of mains show less difference between the two bulls?
Try this example, two bulls each appear to be functionally sound. The EPDs for weaning weight are +35 and +15, respectively. The first bull is expected to produce calves 20 pounds heavier than is the second bull. The progeny would be 35 or 15 pounds, respectively, heavier at weaning than the average in the reference breed. If, on the other hand, they're mated to cows above average in performance, then the magnitude of the increased weight would be smaller. However, the 20 pound average difference in progeny performance between the two bulls should be constant if the bulls are mated to cows of similar genetic merit. The EPD value is the best predictor of performance of future progeny of a sire in comparison with progeny of other sires when both are mated to comparable cows.

This is copied from this site.http://sfbfp.ifas.ufl.edu/usesum.html

ollie":ypx4qscz said:

It does not matter as to what the cow's genetic potential is (very high or very low). The two bulls only have so much to contribute. Some have more growth than others genetically. It is a comparative of the two bulls. Bull x has a 25 ww and bull y has a 50 ww. Bull y will on average be 25 lbs heavier whether breed to low performance cows or high performance cows as long as the nutrition is there. This can be a problem when using extreme growth animals in areas that can not support them.

Let me understand Tod. You say no matter which cow, Jersey or Maine, the genetic difference between the two bulls will be 25lbs on average?

ollie":1t7khgb7 said:
Let me understand Tod. You say no matter which cow, Jersey or Maine, the genetic difference between the two bulls will be 25lbs on average?

Posted before reading your last post. ;-) That was very interesting. Seams to me (according to the article) that a person can make greater gains by using EPDs if their cows are poor performers than if they are high performers. This does not change the value of EPDs.

It doesn't change the value of course but one would have to agree that the better your cow herd is , the less benefit from using epd's. This is ironic and contrary to what I would think of using actual data. Actual data I would think would be the reverse. A good bull should preform even better on a good set of cows.

I have developed a different view on EPDs as I've used them over the years. My primary focus is to produce maternal cattle that will make profitable feeders. I have developed fairly large ranges in each EPD category and look for animals that have the appropriate phenotype in those ranges. I will accept animals that fall out of one or two of my category ranges if they excel in all the other categories and have the appropriate phenotype and I can mate them to a cow that excels in the area that they are week. As for actual performance, I've seen animals that performed very well that could not produce calves that performed as well and I've seen animals that did not perform well themselves that produced outstanding performance in their calves. In low accuracy animals I do look at their performance but do not use them until they have some calves on the ground.

I do believe that many people use EPDs incorrectly. I know that I did. When I startewd out it was all about the EPD. If the EPDs were good then it was good. This is not the case. If bull A had a 88 YW and bull B had a 89 YW I used bull B. EPDs are a tool to help you select the performance that you need, but if it is your only (or primary) tool then you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

I've corrected some of my grammar.

ollie":h2fta5ij said:
It doesn't change the value of course but one would have to agree that the better your cow herd is , the less benefit from using epd's. This is ironic and contrary to what I would think of using actual data. Actual data I would think would be the reverse. A good bull should preform even better on a good set of cows.

The good bull will be reflected in the EPD. If he is able to perform better on good cows wouldn't this also be reflected in the lower performing cows, thus improving the overall EPD?

I've corrected some of my grammar.

ollie":25xb45jt said:
This is ironic and contrary to what I would think of using actual data. Actual data I would think would be the reverse. A good bull should preform even better on a good set of cows.

i disagree. i think it's always easier (whether using epd's or actual data) to improve your bottom enders by using a good bull than to improve your good cows.

Latest posts