HR 875 Be very afraid

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOSS

Reaction score
Connecticut Democrat Rosa DeLauro has introduced the "Food Safety and Modernization Act of 2009 (H.R. 875). Her bill will create a new Food Safety Administration and give its administrator the authority to "conduct monitoring and surveillance of animals, plants, products or the environment" on every family farm, ranch, vineyard and fishing hole in the country. Moreover, the administrator can visit and inspect the property and demand that the owner present "papers and effects," and all records relating to food production.

Food production facilities outlined in the bill include farms and even family gardens. Without the right paperwork and permits no food production can happen. It also allows for a government agent to inspect your farm at any time without a warrant. Just "reasonable" notice. The bill also takes farm and animal management out of the hands of the farmer and puts it into goverment control. This includes how animals are fed, watered and sheltered.

Big government has been put on the fast track. The link below is to the actual bill. Read the part regarding food producing facilities.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.875:

I posted about this on the no politics board. Not much interest. If this passes I'll be out of the food production business. Thanks Hoss for bringing it up again. I hope folks will take the time to research this very important set of bills. The gov will not listen to me, I only grow food. We need to make our customers aware of these bills.

quote-
I realize there are not many independent Farmers/Ranchers on these boards. But those who care must research- HR 875, Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009.
S 425, Food Safety and Tracking Improvement Act.

These type bills have been popping up the last few years and die. But times have changed.
I see the handwriting on the wall.
end quote-

The problem with that sort of regulation is that you can't possibly hire enough people to monitor it. It's the same way with scales in grocery stores and in home day care. In Texas, anyway, there are, on paper, agencies to inspect those things, but it never happens unless someone complains.

If the feds are going to regulate something, it needs to be the financial institutions in this country.

All this talk about yet another blow to farmers and ranchers, the economy squeezing out the middle classes and meaningless bail outs, and AIG is going to use OUR MONEY to pay bonuses to execs to the tune of 160 million dollars.

If our Prez had any stones, he would get on television and address that little issue by saying, "Oh no you aren't." AIG is saying that if they don't pay the bonuses they will get sued. Well to that I say, let 'em. I always thought that bonuses were tied to production and profit. I would really like to see some exec try to sue in this environment for a bonus. I would just love to see it.

My husband's company stopped doing guaranteed bonus. If it was in your contract, it isn't any more. That's their little way of saying put up or shut up.

Lammie":2je64r74 said:
The problem with that sort of regulation is that you can't possibly hire enough people to monitor it. It's the same way with scales in grocery stores and in home day care. In Texas, anyway, there are, on paper, agencies to inspect those things, but it never happens unless someone complains.

If the feds are going to regulate something, it needs to be the financial institutions in this country.

All this talk about yet another blow to farmers and ranchers, the economy squeezing out the middle classes and meaningless bail outs, and AIG is going to use OUR MONEY to pay bonuses to execs to the tune of 160 million dollars.

If our Prez had any stones, he would get on television and address that little issue by saying, "Oh no you aren't." AIG is saying that if they don't pay the bonuses they will get sued. Well to that I say, let 'em. I always thought that bonuses were tied to production and profit. I would really like to see some exec try to sue in this environment for a bonus. I would just love to see it.

My husband's company stopped doing guaranteed bonus. If it was in your contract, it isn't any more. That's their little way of saying put up or shut up.

If you read down in the bill where it details the penalty it says that the fines would be up to a million dollars per day until the facility or farm is in compliance. This is how it will be inforced. Make the penalty so stiff no one will take the chance. That way very few regulators are needed. Catch one as an example and the rest will fall in line.

sounds like another hairbrained law that needs tobe flushed down the tolit.because if its ever passed passed we are in deep crapp.an people will starve to death.

john250":3pyhud92 said:
Jogeephus":3pyhud92 said:
I heard a rumor that you can still smoke a cigarette in a restaurant in Russia.

Maybe France, for me. Surely you can still smoke in France. And the wine is good.

Never mind. :mad:

"Over the past three decades, France has gradually added restrictions to drinking and smoking in public places, banning alcohol and tobacco advertising on television in 1991."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1237166 ... stOfTheWeb

john250":15q9hcui said:
Jogeephus":15q9hcui said:
I heard a rumor that you can still smoke a cigarette in a restaurant in Russia.

Maybe France, for me. Surely you can still smoke in France. And the wine is good.

I think in 2010 there is going to be a world wide public smoking ban and Europe will be the first on board. So if you have ever had an interest to visit a coffee house in Amsterdam you had better do it very soon. :p

As far as the bill we have something very close to that here in Alberta became mandatory recently. Everyone has to adhere to the new premise identification policy. If you read it and take it literally it basically say that the government really owns your land and just let you farm it . They also can appear on your door step and demand records of anything/everything, they can search your premises if they like and if they find something that you are not adhering to they can take your land..

We all knew it was coming as it has already moved into pretty much every other industry except maybe the bank and wall street.. :???:

Tough times have hit the world so lets see how many of these new bills get tossed in the near future.

hillsdown":snss0q1e said:
I think in 2010 there is going to be a world wide public smoking ban and Europe will be the first on board. So if you have ever had an interest to visit a coffee house in Amsterdam you had better do it very soon. :p

So I won't be able to smoke in Amsterdam either? Will that apply only to tobacco? Will the "red light" district stay open? But I won't be able to smoke after? :mad:

No that will apply to what a "coffee house" really sells, and it's not coffee... ;-)

As far a a cigarette after visiting the red light district I guess you can have your after smoke as long as it is still inside their room , but a lot of women don't really live in those buildings anymore they are just a place of business so I don't know how that would work.

If anyone has not been to Amsterdam it is truly an amazing city. From the architecture ,the museums and yes the downtown district by the canals that contain the coffee houses and even a tour of the red light district..It is a once in a life time must see..

hillsdown":3j06n5fo said:
No that will apply to what a "coffee house" really sells, and it's not coffee... ;-)

As far a a cigarette after visiting the red light district I guess you can have your after smoke as long as it is still inside their room , but a lot of women don't really live in those buildings anymore they are just a place of business so I don't know how that would work.

In the USA, anti-smoking laws generally refer to "workplaces", so I guess the smoke is out. Geez.

I don't see anything in HR 875 that's new. The Feds already have authority to do everything named in there. They're welcome to come inspect anything I have. As for cigarettes, I'd like to see them cost $50 a pack and you have to stand in line 12 hrs after you pay before you get them.

Big pushers of this bill are seed companies. Part of the bill would ban using seeds from a non-approved source. This is in the name of bio-terrorism security. I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist but I see the government controlling the banks and wanting to control your 401k's, food source, agriculture, education and everything else. You control the money, food and guns and the people become subjects depending on the big teat of government :help: :mad:

HOSS":2663c921 said:
Big pushers of this bill are seed companies. Part of the bill would ban using seeds from a non-approved source. This is in the name of bio-terrorism security. I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist but I see the government controlling the banks and wanting to control your 401k's, food source, agriculture, education and everything else. You control the money, food and guns and the people become subjects depending on the big teat of government :help: :mad:

:shock: , that is not supposed to be "shocked" as the smiley says its more like oh S***

Here is someones opinion from another site. The more I read it, the more I realize if enacted I will be shut down. The sad part is, the future was looking up. Concern is building among the public about there food. The market for the independent farmer has not been this good in years. We can sell everything we can produce for retail. I guess we stepped on someones toes. Just follow the money.

quote:

This bill is sitting in committee and I am not sure when it is going
to hit the floor. One thing I do know is that very few of the
Representatives have read it. As usual they will vote on this based
on what someone else is saying. Urge your members to read the
legislation and ask for opposition to this devastating legislation.
Devastating for everyday folks but great for factory farming ops like
Monsanto, ADM, Sodexo and Tyson to name a few.

I have no doubt that this legislation was heavily influenced by
lobbyists from huge food producers. This legislation is so broad
based that technically someone with a little backyard garden could get
fined and have their property siezed. It will effect anyone who
produces food even if they do not sell but only consume it. It will
literally put all independent farmers and food producers out of
business due to the huge amounts of money it will take to conform to
factory farming methods. If people choose to farm without industry
standards such as chemical pesticides and fertilizers they will be
subject to a vareity of harassment from this completely new agency
that has never before existed. That's right, a whole new government
agency is being created just to police food, for our own protection of
course.

DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, READ THIS LEGISLATION FOR YOURSELF. The
more people who read this legislation the more insight we are going to
get and be able to share. Post your observations and insights below.
Urge your members to read this legislation and to oppose the passage
of this legislation.

Pay special attention to

Section 3 which is the definitions portion of the bill-read in it's
entirety.
section 103, 206 and 207- read in it's entirety.

Red flags I found and I am sure there are more...........

Legally binds state agriculture depts to enforcing federal guidelines
effectively taking away the states power to do anything other than
being food police for the federal dept.
Effectively criminalizes organic farming but doesn't actually use the
word organic.
Effects anyone growing food even if they are not selling it but consuming
it.
Effects anyone producing meat of any kind including wild game.
Legislation is so broad based that every aspect of growing or
producing food can be made illegal. There are no specifics which is
bizarre considering how long the legislation is.
Section 103 is almost entirely about the administrative aspect of the
legislation. It will allow the appointing of officials from the
factory farming corporations and lobbyists and classify them as
experts and allow them to determine and interpret the legislation.
Who do you think they are going to side with?
Section 206 defines what will be considered a food production facility
and what will be enforced up all food production facilities. The
wording is so broad based that a backyard gardener could be fined and
more.
Section 207 requires that the state's agriculture dept act as the food
police and enforce the federal requirements. This takes away the
states power and is in violation of the 10th amendment.
There are many more but by the time I got this far in the legislation
I was so alarmed that I wanted to bring someone's attention to it. (to
the one person who reads my blog)

Didn't Stalin nationalize farming methods that enabled his
administration to gain control over the food supply? Didn't Stalin
use the food to control the people?

Last word...... Legislate religion and enforce gag orders on ministers
on what can and can't be said in the pulpit, instituting regulations
forcing people to rely soley on the government, control the money and
the food. What is that called? It is on the tip of my
tongue..........

end quote.

HOSS":1an3y6n4 said:

You do sound like a conspiracy theorist and frankly I think you are just plain paranoid. You say this bill is being pushed by big seed companies. Ha! That's a laugh cause Monsanto is a singular term and not plural. Of course if you are referring to their people. This is a little dated but lets see who's who in the government I mean Monsanto. There was:

Charles Burson: Currently Monsanto's excutive vice president, secretary and chief counsel. Qualifications: served as assistant to president Clinton and Chief of Staff and Legal counsel to Al Gore.

Rufus Yerxa (2002 – present) Formerly Monsanto's chief legal counsel on international affairs. Yerxa is the World Trade Organization's deputy director-general.

Ann Veneman – (2000-2004) Head of USDA. Former board member of Calgene – the biotech outfit that lost its shirt – and possibly yours – with the bioengineered Flavr Savr tomato. Monsanto bought the company out at a discount. As head of USDA, she blindly supported the bioengineered seed and foods throughout her term.

Clarence Thomas – US Supreme Court Justice – After serving as Assistant Attorney General in Missouri – was given a job as in-house attorney for Monsanto in 1977.

Linda Fisher – Second in Command of the EPA. Was Monsanto's government strategist in charge of countering concerns over Genetically Modified Foods.

William Ruckelshaus: Two time administrator of EPA, sat on Monsanto's board of directors between his two EPA terms.

Marcia Hale: Former assistant to the president and director of intergovernmental affairs, Now works as Monsanto's director of international affairs.

Mickey Kantor: US trade representative (1993-1997) and US Secretary of Commerce (1996-97) Tried to bully other countries into accepting GM corn and other products. Left gov't and went to work for Monsanto in 1997.

Points of Interest

167 million acres planted in GM food
91% of this seed came from Monsanto
58% of Americans in 2003 who had no idea they were eating GM food
14 number of seed companies Monsanto recently purchased
1/3 of the world's corn seeds owned by or controlled by Monsanto
#1 Monsanto's place on the list of world's largest seed sellers
0 the number of studies performed by the FDA and Monsanto to test effects of GM food on humans.

So Hoss, just because they enjoy a revolving door policy between the two entities you expect me to believe that there is some shady dealings going on? Surely you jest. Taking away ones rights and selectively taxing certain segments of the population isn't wrong just so long as it doesn't affect me. Right? Its a good thing since it helps fund the financial mishandlings of our beuraucrats and aids in building a bigger government. But I disagree with GP, I think they ought to tax cigarettes $100 per pack and whiskey $200 per bottle - that's a pint mind you. While they are at it, I hope they slap a dollar a pill tax on asprin. Afterall, using their logic this makes perfect sense. Afterall, its white and it works.

BTW - I think this is hillarious how Monsanto is trying to patent pigs and their offspring. Those pig growers should have to pay extra for raising those stinking animals. I'm sure these folks would never dream of messing with us cattle folks. Afterall they can get all the money they need from the smokers, farmers and pig producers.

If you want to wake up - watch this to get an idea where we are going.

http://dandelionsalad.wordpress.com/200 ... -pig-2005/

Jo you should run for congress.....I'd move to Georgia just to vote for you. Congress is where common sense is no longer common. You would drive them idiots nuts with logic :)

To solve this problem....humm we all can sell out, raise nothing ,buy nothing and let this wonderful country support us all. We can all go on welfare and set on our fat bottoms like everyone else. Just think all of our worries would be over.
Yes Hoss there is a big problem brewing. My sister-in-law has written all 526 house members. She has called local radio and TV stations. I would suggest the rest of you do something. If this thing makes it thru WE will all be in a world of mess.

I wrote to both Senators from our state and our Representative about this one. Not that difficult to do. If more people would voice their opinion Congress MIGHT start to get the idea.

Just ran across this link. Makes it easy to write to Congress members and you can get email alerts. It is not limited to Texas law makers and you don't have to be a member of the TSCRA to use this web site.

http://capwiz.com/texascattleraisers/home/

My 2 cents,
Farmgirl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts