HR 503 Horse Slaughter

Help Support CattleToday:

sebrondjr

Reaction score
I'm curoius to see what you cattlemen think about HR 503 to ban horse slaughter. The thought of a perfectly good filly being sent to slaughter repulses me, but I also think that banning horse slaughter will be bad for horses, ultimately. I am with an equine rescue league, and I see that there are already enough maltreated and neglected horses out there without adding to the pot by banning slaughter.

What's your take on this?

all getting rid of slaughter is going to do is increase neglect and increase the number or useless and over the hill horses that are wasting feed reserves and valuable resources. Along with the ruining the already weak market for horses especially grade or unproven ranch horses.

There is a poll on this subject in Horse Talk and another well read post on the Beginners Board.

They should answer your question quite nicely.

Trying to stay out of it.

I attend horse sale auctions from time to time and most but, Not All, are culls that no one wants to begin with. $45 thru $125 at tops. If you attend sale in adjoing county the next day you see same horses over & over. These horses are trucked all over untill owner gets tired of saying PASS,(plus feeding them enough just to keep them ALIVE. untill he can dump them off on someone else) So, In term i strongly feel horse slaughter should always be. The ones that disagree (i know there are many) I suggest you attend a few sales then tell me about INHUMANE.

Good, no very good point, blk mule. It seems that most of the folks who are opposed to it don't know the REAL story. I thank you for telling the REAL story. Maybe the answer is USDA inspection to make sure that the transportation and slaughter is as humane as possible...

Horses get old, hoses get injured, some horses are ill tempered, some horses are unsound, I think it is a GOOD thing that there is an economic incentive to get those horses gone.

Latest posts