HPF - End of a Legacy

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":3krv4f58 said:
What's the reason behind that sale?

David Rockefeller passed away. He was 102. A very charismatic gentleman. The granddaughter, Miranda, is selling out.

Bestoutwest":166k4tsj said:
She doesn't look like the kind that would be interested in playing with cows.
https://www.google.com/search?q=miranda ... 8855677688

The history of the farm indicates she has had a longtime involvement. I think she had a great love for the cattle but with the passing of both her grandparents who had a real passion for the Simmental breed (International Reputation, Awarded Golden Book Award, even sold semen to Mikhail Gorbachev), the Legacy will end.

I had thought that all the land was being put into a park after he passed. It was in the will I think.

Bright Raven":iw3lldvp said:
Bestoutwest":iw3lldvp said:

The history of the farm indicates she has had a longtime involvement. I think she had a great love for the cattle but with the passing of both her grandparents who had a real passion for the Simmental breed (International Reputation, Awarded Golden Book Award, even sold semen to Mikhail Gorbachev), the Legacy will end.

All I could find was the grandmother was really into it and died in 1996. You must have better intel than I. I can't imagine what will happen to the property. My guess is that it becomes some sort of uber high-end B&B.

Bestoutwest":2z9yeldx said:
Bright Raven":2z9yeldx said:
Bestoutwest":2z9yeldx said:

All I could find was the grandmother was really into it and died in 1996. You must have better intel than I. I can't imagine what will happen to the property. My guess is that it becomes some sort of uber high-end B&B.

Yes. The grandmother, Peggy, began the Simmental operation in 1975. It was her passion. Chan Phillips, who mentored me in beginning my Simmental operation, was very close to the family. He consulted for them and was involved in a partnership. When the partnership broke up, I was able to buy two of the up and coming HP/RP heifers. I wish I had more. Check the brand, you will never see it again:

mmrcxz.jpg

I doubt the farm will ever sell. It is a treasure. Goes back to Sleepy Hollow fame. In fact, that is what they call the farm.

Bright Raven":3ct403pf said:
Bestoutwest":3ct403pf said:

Reminds me of when Triple C dispersed. The farm(s) is just a few miles down the road from us. They were a big deal too, but few remember the impact after a decade or so. The majority of that operation became DAMAR Farms, which is also now in dispersal mode. We are literally less than 5 miles down the road from Goodrich Place, and it will be a sad day when that legacy comes to an end too. It really just highlights how rare it is for these operations to span more than one generation in a family.

I feel a lot has to do with show cattle and money. Most of those folks made their money elsewhere, and when you can just buy in, it's a lot different than working your way up and shoveling your own crap.

True Grit Farms":6x2gftj8 said:
I feel a lot has to do with show cattle and money. Most of those folks made their money elsewhere, and when you can just buy in, it's a lot different than working your way up and shoveling your own crap.

Maybe true.... it was literally in the name of the Triple C farm...

True Grit Farms":3pn23qn1 said:

More nonsense, Vince.  If you assume two breeders both contributed to building a better Simmental (whatever that is) and one shoveled crap along the way and the other hired you or me to shovel the crap for him, who cares?

Isn't it the results that matter?  If David Rockefeller used his wealth to create a better cow, does it matter?

Bright Raven":22wtz70s said:
True Grit Farms":22wtz70s said:

More nonsense, Vince.  If you assume two breeders both contributed to building a better Simmental (whatever that is) and one shoveled crap along the way and the other hired you or me to shovel the crap for him, who cares?

Isn't it the results that matter?  If David Rockefeller used his wealth to create a better cow, does it matter?

Your wrong again, a family tradition isn't bought it's earnd. Passing the torch to next generation means nothing if everything was givin to them. It's easy to sell out when you have no skin in the game. When you spend your life working for and relying on someone else for a check, you have no legacy to your life.

True Grit Farms":dnsx42fw said:
Bright Raven":dnsx42fw said:
True Grit Farms":dnsx42fw said:

Your wrong again, a family tradition isn't bought it's earnd. Passing the torch to next generation means nothing if everything w4as givin to them. It's easy to sell out when you have no skin in the game. When you spend your life working for and relying on someone else for a check, you have no legacy to your life.

Well, neither one of us or 99.99 % of the users on CT have to concern ourselves with 'Legacy'.

[Well, neither one of us or 99.99 % of the users on CT have to concern ourselves with 'Legacy'.[/quote]

And that's the basic difference between people and human beings. People obsess about what they can get out of life and humans obsess about what they can give to life.

Rockefeller was not Leonardo da Vinci...

Lot of good cows, good calves, pregnancies, and embryos are selling. Anyone interested in building a better herd of simmy cattle should probably be paying attention on sale day.

Miranda was very actively involved in the cattle operation for many years. I found it interesting how a young lady, born with a golden spoon in her mouth, seemed to enjoy messing with cattle more than doing things that most other rich girls wanted to do (beach, parties, country club, etc.). My understanding is that she got married and moved from New York (to Montana I think) and has young children. A friend who knows more about their situation shared with me that it was too much for her trying to raise a family and still manage a cattle operation located so far away.

The Hudson Pine cattle are "pretty", however, from my impression there hasn't been a lot of selection pressure put on traits that large commercial ranches want (i.e. cattle that thrive without being pampered, calving ease, growth, carcass traits, etc.).

I have lots of friends that are going to be there tomorrow for it. I have my eye on a few pregnancies, located at Sanders (closer pick up). I can not afford to take off work to go, or I would!
Triple C was another great one. I still see good cow families that go back to a Triple C cow. We were newer to the business when Triple C ended, but I knew the cow families and would have loved to pick up a few females from that sale. HP does a lot of flushing, and has many cow families that do well. The Love Me family is one. I also like the Crocus family. There are too many to list!
The HP farm is willed to a park, from what I read. That is a reason they are selling, the farm is being turned into a park, according to Rockefeller's wishes. They sold the Colorado herd some time ago (earlier this year I think). Miranda seemed to always be involved, she was at all the major shows with the cattle.

Latest posts