Howdy from Tejas

Help Support CattleToday:

MBFarmsTexas

Reaction score
My family and I moved to a small property last year and are new to cattle, ended up with 5 Angus/Wagyu crosses. 4 Heifers and 1 Steer. We've always had horses but looking to learn about cattle and their needs now! We'll be breeding the Heifers in a few more months and sending steer off this fall for butchering. Looking to learn as much as possible but if anyone has immediate info on vaccine/med regiment i would really appreciate. With horses the only thing we did was dewormer on a schedule. Hoping these guys/gals are able to feed friends and family going forward. Thanks!

Attachments

• 6411258B-4B20-4151-964D-7AFF82867ED4.jpeg
    6411258B-4B20-4151-964D-7AFF82867ED4.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 27
Howdy!

Good looking set right there.

As far as butchering - make sure you have an appointment now. Most processors have a 8-18 month lag. Which processor are you going to use? I'm probably not familiar with them since I'm more in central - east central area of the state.

My family and I moved to a small property last year and are new to cattle, ended up with 5 Angus/Wagyu crosses. 4 Heifers and 1 Steer. We've always had horses but looking to learn about cattle and their needs now! We'll be breeding the Heifers in a few more months and sending steer off this fall for butchering. Looking to learn as much as possible but if anyone has immediate info on vaccine/med regiment i would really appreciate. With horses the only thing we did was dewormer on a schedule. Hoping these guys/gals are able to feed friends and family going forward. Thanks!
Do you know what all vaccines they had already been given before you got them? Since you are going to butcher them and if they wil not be around any other cattle, you might not need to any more vaccines. Same with worming...with no exposure to any other animals, once ought to do it. Can't believe you didn't vaccinate your horses. I vaccinate all with the 7-way....Tetanus, Western, Eastern, and Venezuelan encephalomyelitis, West Nile Virus, herpesvirus types 1 and 4, and influenza. yearly...plus Strangles if there will be foals on the place.

Where are y'all originally from?

Howdy!

Good looking set right there.

As far as butchering - make sure you have an appointment now. Most processors have a 8-18 month lag. Which processor are you going to use? I'm probably not familiar with them since I'm more in central - east central area of the state.
Haven't chosen yet, we have a few locally for 6+ months out. Need to get that scheduled I suppose

Do you know what all vaccines they had already been given before you got them? Since you are going to butcher them and if they wil not be around any other cattle, you might not need to any more vaccines. Same with worming...with no exposure to any other animals, once ought to do it. Can't believe you didn't vaccinate your horses. I vaccinate all with the 7-way....Tetanus, Western, Eastern, and Venezuelan encephalomyelitis, West Nile Virus, herpesvirus types 1 and 4, and influenza. yearly...plus Strangles if there will be foals on the place.
They were given BANGS vaccine and were tagged for it. Beyond that I'm not 100% but I'm fairly sure that's it. We would like to look at possible breeding the 4 heifers this summer, whether AI or bull rental im not sure. But that's kinda what i was really wondering is what people might generally look for to do something like that.

Thanks!

Welcome to the boards!
How old are your heifers? They still look quite young to be breeding. They should weigh around 750#-800#?? I'm not sure on that with the Wagyu breeding in them.

You will get a lot of different health programs. From zero to one like mine. You first need to develop a relationship with a VET. Find out from them what they recommend for you.
There are two types of vaccines - Modified Live and Killed. MLV generally only needs 1 shot/per season. KV must have a booster shot in a specific time frame (generally about 4 weeks after the first). KV is more expensive but some consider "safer". MLV you have to be careful with cows nursing calves (cows must be vaccinated within 12 months of vaccinating the nursing calf).
My program (in Upstate NY):
All my cows receive MLV - Bovi-Shield 5L5HB - dewormed twice a year
All my calves receive:
At 3 months old: Bovi-Shield 5L5HB - dewormed with Valbazen (drench)
One-Shot Ultra 8
At 4 months old: Bovi-Shield 5L5HB - dewormed with a Pour On
Ultra-Choice 8
The calves are fully vaccinated at weaning, so I do not process them again until about 3-4 weeks after weaning. Then they get:
BS5L5HB
One-Shot Ultra 8
Again dewormed
All my spring bred females get BS5L5HB in the fall + deworming.

They were given BANGS vaccine and were tagged for it. Beyond that I'm not 100% but I'm fairly sure that's it. We would like to look at possible breeding the 4 heifers this summer, whether AI or bull rental im not sure. But that's kinda what i was really wondering is what people might generally look for to do something like that.

Thanks!
When they're old enough to breed, whether you AI or use a bull, I'd look at calving ease above most other traits in the bull. Calving out even four heifers can turn into a bit of a rodeo if you're new to it. I would advise, if you haven't yet, making friends with a vet or somebody in the area that has some experience. You can get a lot of help from good neighbors for the price of a handshake and popping a few tops while you shoot the breeze. This place is an invaluable resource too, there are skillsets and knowledge bases represented on here regarding everything from fences to heavy equipment to completely changing the landscape you're grazing. Every breed and management practice has somebody here that will talk to you, provided they're around to do it.

Welcome to the boards!
How old are your heifers? They still look quite young to be breeding. They should weigh around 750#-800#?? I'm not sure on that with the Wagyu breeding in them.

You will get a lot of different health programs. From zero to one like mine. You first need to develop a relationship with a VET. Find out from them what they recommend for you.
There are two types of vaccines - Modified Live and Killed. MLV generally only needs 1 shot/per season. KV must have a booster shot in a specific time frame (generally about 4 weeks after the first). KV is more expensive but some consider "safer". MLV you have to be careful with cows nursing calves (cows must be vaccinated within 12 months of vaccinating the nursing calf).
My program (in Upstate NY):
All my cows receive MLV - Bovi-Shield 5L5HB - dewormed twice a year
All my calves receive:
At 3 months old: Bovi-Shield 5L5HB - dewormed with Valbazen (drench)
One-Shot Ultra 8
At 4 months old: Bovi-Shield 5L5HB - dewormed with a Pour On
Ultra-Choice 8
The calves are fully vaccinated at weaning, so I do not process them again until about 3-4 weeks after weaning. Then they get:
BS5L5HB
One-Shot Ultra 8
Again dewormed
All my spring bred females get BS5L5HB in the fall + deworming.
Really appreciate it.

That pictures was from when they first arrived last fall at around 6 months old! They've grown quite a bit since!

When they're old enough to breed, whether you AI or use a bull, I'd look at calving ease above most other traits in the bull. Calving out even four heifers can turn into a bit of a rodeo if you're new to it. I would advise, if you haven't yet, making friends with a vet or somebody in the area that has some experience. You can get a lot of help from good neighbors for the price of a handshake and popping a few tops while you shoot the breeze. This place is an invaluable resource too, there are skillsets and knowledge bases represented on here regarding everything from fences to heavy equipment to completely changing the landscape you're grazing. Every breed and management practice has somebody here that will talk to you, provided they're around to do it.
Solid advice, meeting the folks around here has been a big priority but i haven't found a ton with advice yet. I do need to have the Vet come out, give em a once over and talk with them about meds and what not. Appreciate it.

Latest posts