How Young is too young to Vaccinate

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Is 2-4 months old too young to vaccinate. Vaccinating all the cows tommorrow, figured I could to the calves as well. The last calves I waited until 6 months old. I am using an 8-way and a virashield.

NolanCountyAG":35926dbr said:
I do ours at 2-3 months, sometimes a little later. Vet says anything under 2 months you're not really helping them a whole lot.
Thanks, the youngest one is close to 3 months but not quite

Our vet recommends around 3 months because prior to that they're protected by passive immunity although we do give the bull calves Covexin 8 when we band, typically day 1 or 2, for tetanus. EXCEPT this year when we lost a 1 month old 200 lb heifer to Clostridum perfringes Type D, also known as the classic overeating disease; rare in cattle but found in well nourished beef calves nursing high producing cows grazing lush pasture ( her lineage is enormous & we had an early spring). Vet recommended we vaccinate all the calves for clostridial diseases immediately and going forward will vaccinate according to the pasture conditions and, of course, our vets recommendations.

I give first round of Clostridials (Cavalry-9 or Covexin-8) at around 10-14 days of age, and booster 2-3 weeks later.
Only steers and heifers not retained as replacements get MLV viral vaccines, and they don't get those until 2-4 weeks prior to weaning.

You can give most vaccines on Day 1 if you want - maternal antibodies really don't interfere significantly - but be aware that the calf's immune system 'tanks' between days 3-7... advisable NOT to vaccinate during that timeframe, as response will likely be poor to nonexistent.

BK9954":7nzozulb said:
Is 2-4 months old too young to vaccinate. Vaccinating all the cows tommorrow, figured I could to the calves as well. The last calves I waited until 6 months old. I am using an 8-way and a virashield.

Thought if you waited till they were that old, you had to give 2 boosters?

Latest posts