How young can a heifer come into heat?

Help Support CattleToday:

BC Acres

Reaction score
I have a heifer calf that is 4 1/2 months old. Yesterday, I noticed that the bull was doing some sniffing and licking on her. Today, I check cows and he is chasing her all over the lot. He even was trying to mount her. While mounting, his full business was on display, so he sure planned on a little action. She wouldn't stand for him thank goodness. I got the heifer and momma separated into a different lot and away from the bull. Is it possible that she could be in heat at 4 1/2 months? I know her mom is pretty fertile. Momma was the first heifer to calve this season and seemed to show signs of heat quickly after calving.

Yes its possible especially if the mom is fertile. You done the right thing. In 21 days watch her to see if you separated them soon enough. If she doesn't some in heat again call your vet and get a shot of lute.

Dang. I've heard of heifers coming into heat at 6 months, but 4 1/2 seems crazy. I sure hope I got them separated soon enough. The bull wasn't real happy that she was on the other side of the fence. I hope he stays on his side.

BC Acres":1kyqfrfc said:
Dang. I've heard of heifers coming into heat at 6 months, but 4 1/2 seems crazy. I sure hope I got them separated soon enough. The bull wasn't real happy that she was on the other side of the fence. I hope he stays on his side.
Not something I hope for but the shot is easy enough if needed. I had a 7 month old in heat yesterday so in a few days she gets a shot and weaned to get her away from the bull.

Just my luck that the chute is in the pasture that the bull and other cows are in. May have to set up some corral panels and load her up for a trip to the vet if she doesn't come back into heat.

Yes it is definitely possible. We lost a heifer that was 7 months old; it was clear she was in the process of aborting a calf when she died, we could actually see tiny little hooves. Good call on separating your calf/mama. Depending on how gentle she is, you could trying putting a halter on her & tying it to a tree, grill guard, etc - a shot of Lute is 5cc IM, one-n-done. But personally I'd be tempted to take her to the vet anyway & have him palp her.

We had a bunch come into heat prior to weaning this year. We give all the heifers a shot of lute 14 days after separating them from the bull calves. Hopefully you got her out early enough.

Gizmom

Had one Jersey dairy client, nearly 30 years ago... on the only visit I made to the farm, he had a handful of 14 month-old Jersey heifers in the milking string... probably didn't weigh much more than 400 lbs, but they'd gotten bred at about 5 months by one of their bull-calf mates.

I see at least a couple young heifers each year that die from peritonitis when serviced by big aggressive bulls... thrusting their tool right through the vaginal wall and into the abdominal cavity. Probably far more frequent an occurrence than you'd expect... those are just the ones that make it to the diag.lab.

Lucky_P":23nvo33t said:
Had one Jersey dairy client, nearly 30 years ago... on the only visit I made to the farm, he had a handful of 14 month-old Jersey heifers in the milking string... probably didn't weigh much more than 400 lbs, but they'd gotten bred at about 5 months by one of their bull-calf mates.

I see at least a couple young heifers each year that die from peritonitis when serviced by big aggressive bulls... thrusting their tool right through the vaginal wall and into the abdominal cavity. Probably far more frequent an occurrence than you'd expect... those are just the ones that make it to the diag.lab.

I had to happen to a young heifer several years ago, I don't remember her age exactly but probably around 6 months. I saw the bull following her, and saw blood on her, she was dead soon after. When I first started out I had purebred Charolais, I weaned those calves between 7-8 months, then after a few years, had a heifer calf get bred before weaning for a couple years. I then started weaning no later then 7 months. Now with mainly Angus sired calves from Angus and Hereford cows, and the aforementioned incident, I'm weaning calves by 6 months, and like to have bulls already out before that.

A neighbor's bull jump a fence and bred some of my heifers. They were young. I don't remember any being 4 1/2 months old but they were all to young in my opinion. One of them calved at 15 months.

Thanks for all the responses. Well the bull tried to get to her. Bent a gate a little, but didn't get through. He seems to have settled down a little. He sure is putting a wrench in my plans. I was doing some rotational grazing to maximize the number of head on my pasture. Now I have momma and the heifer in one paddock, and everything else in the other. I put a hay bale out to the larger group today because they are mowing right through the paddock they are in. Now I need to do some thinking about weaning time.

What age will a bull calf be able to breed a heifer? When I wean, I have one bull calf that had a nut missed when banding. Poor job on my part. He is only a couple of weeks younger than the heifer above. I planned on weaning all the calves in one pasture and keep the mommas in the other. Now I'm worried that even if the bull didn't breed her the other day, the bull calf might during weaning. The youngest calf I have is 3 1/2 months. Is it possible to take them off of momma the beginning of Oct and sell them the beginning of Nov? Or would it be better to wean later. I would be interested in all of your thoughts and opinions. Don't have much for shelter in one pasture. I would have to buy a calf hut or something if I kept them into the winter. I'm in Kansas and we can have some cold spells at times.

Now I'm worried that even if the bull didn't breed her the other day, the bull calf might during weaning.

Re: the aforementioned heifer calf we lost: when we weaned that small group of fall calves we put them with our retained heifers. When the vet came out to BANGS & pelvic measure the retained heifers we had him cut a semi-steer calf because, like you, we missed a nut when we banded. He mentioned that while not likely, it is possible for him to breed. We have no idea if he was the one that bred the heifer or if one of the bulls got to her prior to weaning and that was before we started pulling the bulls a minimum of a month before & giving all the heifers Lutalyse when we wean. Lesson learned.

Yes, it's absolutely possible to take the calf off the beginning of Oct. Think of all the bottle calves & orphans - they'll be fine.

Hello, fellow Kansan & brutal winters! A lean-to is relatively easy to make. We do have one pasture that has a lot of woods for shelter but no structure (yet). We roll out straw bales for bedding & warmth in all our pastures. Even in the central pasture where they can seek shelter in the barn, they generally stay outside in a low area protected by the trees & park their calves in the straw.