How would you handle this?

Help Support CattleToday:

CWT Angus

Reaction score
Hi all. Need your opinions on how you might handle this situation. Some of you may have dealt with it yourselves.

I sold 3 black angus steers to a guy this time last year to feed out for himself & family. Not exactly a cowy type person but they had done this before & were very proud of their feeding program & results. They were thrilled with the boys & came back yesterday & put a deposit on 2 more. I then went over to their place to see last years calves ( now 19mos old) before they slaughter them in the next few weeks. I was shocked to see the poor condition of these calves. I would be surprized if they weigh 1000 lb. with no muscle, long shaggy dull hair, sunken in sides & covered with flies. They mentioned that they do grain them but not what kind or how much. They have absolutely no pasture & I don't believe they are getting any hay at all. Definitely not enough.
I have plans to talk to them about their feeding program, as I think they just don't know any better. Hopefully they will be receptive. I'm more than happy to sit down with them & guide them through it for the next year. As of right now I'm not comfortable selling them any more calves if this is how they care for them. They are really proud of how they "grew". I'm just sickened by the condition of these calves. We all work to hard in or breeding programs to see this happen to our calves. Any opinions on how to handle this? Would love to hear them.

Thats a tough one. Now that you have seen how they are raised, poorly fed, almost neglected, it would be hard to sell to them again for me. I would definetely talk to them about the feed they aren't giving the animal, and go from there. Seems to me, if they aren't feeding it well, couldn't have gotten much meat off of it when they did butcher. Maybe you want to buy the animal back?

GMN

You know some people just dont know. My wife is a cop and has gone to see animals that someone complained about and found that those city people. who want a cow or a horse have really no idea that they arent in good shape. I'd tell them diplomatically.

carl

Carlos D.":3g704969 said:
You know some people just dont know. My wife is a cop and has gone to see animals that someone complained about and found that those city people. who want a cow or a horse have really no idea that they arent in good shape. I'd tell them diplomatically.

carl

Yep. Carlos hit it. Diplomacy is the key. They are probably going to get calves from a different source if you don't provide them with more. The saga will continue. I think it best to get a good book and give it to them with some explanation. Be serious but be positive. Those folks are running 15 MPH down interstate in the fast lane. 50 MPH might intimidate them if they have never been at that speed before.

CWT, The scenario you put forth here is almost the exact same one I ran into a few years back, except that these folks bought some young bulls from me to finish and use for breeding.

When the bulls I sold them failed the BSE exam, they brought the bulls back to me for some type of adjustment.(?) When I showed them the herdmates to their calves they were astounded by the difference in growth and maturity but felt that I might have sold them some "Bad Calves".

When I refused to make "Good", as they called it, they were angry and told several people in my area how I had "Tricked" them into buying some inferior animals. (They had actually picked the animals out themselves!)

This type of transaction will do nothing for how you (or your breeding program) is perceived by others, and I urge you to tell them the complete truth and cease any and all sales to them in the future. Put a stop to any gossip before it starts.

If they cannot comprehend that cattle need a balanced nutritional program with enough food volume for growth, they are beyond ignorant.

MikeC":155jrbvi said:
CWT, The scenario you put forth here is almost the exact same one I ran into a few years back, except that these folks bought some young bulls from me to finish and use for breeding.

When the bulls I sold them failed the BSE exam, they brought the bulls back to me for some type of adjustment.(?) When I showed them the herdmates to their calves they were astounded by the difference in growth and maturity but felt that I might have sold them some "Bad Calves".

When I refused to make "Good", as they called it, they were angry and told several people in my area how I had "Tricked" them into buying some inferior animals. (They had actually picked the animals out themselves!)

This type of transaction will do nothing for how you (or your breeding program) is perceived by others, and I urge you to tell them the complete truth and cease any and all sales to them in the future. Put a stop to any gossip before it starts.

If they cannot comprehend that cattle need a balanced nutritional program with enough food volume for growth, they are beyond ignorant.
I gotta agree-tell them the truth and take photos of any more you sell to anyone,with them standing beside the animal..