How would you describe yourself ?

Help Support CattleToday:

lets see if it's me describing me determined,, if it doug describing me .... mule headed :cboy: go figure i feel that both are good qualities . lol

How we see ourselves, how others see us, and how we really are...The three are usually quite different...

I am a Tennessee, a southern and damn proud of it....

We ( my family) fought in the Revolution to make this Republic/ confedration

Fought in the war of 1812 to keep it that way..

Family even fought in the war to steal Texas from Mexico and make the great state of Texas

Fought in the war of The northen Aggression,(civil war), another war brought to you by Republicans...did not turn out so well...

I am Proud,Vain,mean, and several othe things but that is only one side of the coin...I like to say I am red neck , white trash and proud of it..

alftn":4hh35f3f said:

I am Proud,Vain,mean, and several othe things but that is only one side of the coin...I like to say I am red neck , white trash and proud of it..
you fought in the 1812 war....WOW! that's 198 years ago add on the average age of a soldier and that would make you older than dirt. :help: :lol:

alftn":31nkif9x said:
How we see ourselves, how others see us, and how we really are...The three are usually quite different...

I am a Tennessee, a southern and be nice proud of it....

Family even fought in the war to steal Texas from Mexico and make the great state of Texas

Fought in the war of The northen Aggression,(civil war), another war brought to you by Republicans...did not turn out so well...

I don't know anyone in Iowa that harkens back to ancestors in the Civil War. We were essentially a non-entity in the war. But I find it interesting how ppl from the south really bring that part of American history up. What do the teachers say about the Civil War when they teach it? Do southerners have a very different view of the war from the north. (Clearly aftln, you do, as you refer to it as the northern Aggression) Just curious. My ancestors came from Holland in the mid 1800's so I don't have the same background.

BTW, I describe myself as nice.

iowa hawkeyes":2iv4zcdv said:
alftn":2iv4zcdv said:

I don't know anyone in Iowa that harkens back to ancestors in the Civil War. We were essentially a non-entity in the war. But I find it interesting how ppl from the south really bring that part of American history up. What do the teachers say about the Civil War when they teach it? Do southerners have a very different view of the war from the north. (Clearly aftln, you do, as you refer to it as the northern Aggression) Just curious. My ancestors came from Holland in the mid 1800's so I don't have the same background.

Yes, we look at the war between the states very different than the yanks.

iowa hawkeyes":2txbul0e said:
alftn":2txbul0e said:

mine crossed water, mountains, battled diesease. weather, fought indians...... just to get here from georgia :lol:

A left wing long haired uber liberal hippie style flower child that is a supporter of Big "O" and all of the utopian ideals that are being bestowed upon me and my family.

And..... at times, a liar. :mrgreen:

Well you got Southern,Texacans,Arkansas,and FLa's...and less not forget the Deep southers.

Southerns; part of the SOUTHERN 13 colonies, east of the Tennessee River..
Arkansas; west frontier, more hillbillies
Texacans; real far west frontier, o'boy cowboys
FLas; (less take a pole.. were they every southerns, or like Cal. are they a state of their own?)

As for your people that know there history, Tennessee was very divided state, but my folks wore Butternut...Our southern dead are marked in the cementary, by head stones with confedrated ensignes.

I am proud of my history, and of AMERICA, but the TENNESSEE part of me still resents the 20 years or so of occupation by Federal Troops...The wholesale Raping of the south that follow for the next 100 years...by Yankees

grannysoo":5vdeyf9j said:
A left wing long haired uber liberal hippie style flower child that is a supporter of Big "O" and all of the utopian ideals that are being bestowed upon me and my family.

And..... at times, a liar. :mrgreen:

and a darned good one at that :tiphat:

alftn":3ew0f6bj said:
I am proud of my history, and of AMERICA, but the TENNESSEE part of me still resents the 20 years or so of occupation by Federal Troops...The wholesale Raping of the south that follow for the next 100 years...by Yankees

If we open a quarrel between past and present, we shall find that we have lost the future.
Winston Churchill

alftn":2s5w28vb said:
the TENNESSEE part of me still resents the 20 years or so of occupation by Federal Troops...The wholesale Raping of the south that follow for the next 100 years...by Yankees
It is interesting to hear you say that. Many groups of people in America today seem to resent still the way their ancestors were treated 150 years ago. Native Americans, African Americans, Irish, Italians, Japanese, Yankees, Rebels so on and so forth. Lots of them want monetary awards, acknowledgment, apologies blah blah blah.

I think your resentment puts you in the unique position of sympathizing with these groups, understanding their frustration and desire for compensation and validation (all kinds of ...ation!!).

How lucky you are to share such a bond and brotherhood with so many other Americans!! To feel their pain, resentment and anger. Hold onto that ~ it might just come in handy someday.

angie":2lbqr2q4 said:
alftn":2lbqr2q4 said:
the TENNESSEE part of me still resents the 20 years or so of occupation by Federal Troops...The wholesale Raping of the south that follow for the next 100 years...by Yankees
It is interesting to hear you say that. Many groups of people in America today seem to resent still the way their ancestors were treated 150 years ago. Native Americans, African Americans, Irish, Italians, Japanese, Yankees, Rebels so on and so forth. Lots of them want monetary awards, acknowledgment, apologies blah blah blah.

I think your resentment puts you in the unique position of sympathizing with these groups, understanding their frustration and desire for compensation and validation (all kinds of ...ation!!).

How lucky you are to share such a bond and brotherhood with so many other Americans!! To feel their pain, resentment and anger. Hold onto that ~ it might just come in handy someday.

On the other hand, it might doom you to a life filled with anger, hatred, bitterness and resentment.

angie":1ej0jxh1 said:
alftn":1ej0jxh1 said:

Good one, Angie. Didja have any trouble getting your tongue out of your cheek afterwards? :lol2:

Van C...I see you have a liking for our great man Winny Churchill...at one time he was not very liked as a lot of people looked at him as a war monger...but now he is remembered for great things. Such as this his greatly misquoted speech.
Even though large parts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the Old .

VanC":2eltycpf said:
On the other hand, it might doom you to a life filled with anger, hatred, bitterness and resentment.
Of course it will Van (glad you ladies caught it ;-) ). Not only that, it makes them so miserable to be around, that they further isolate themselves from people with healthy attitudes creating more feelings of anger, bitterness, hatred and resentment which, in hand, further isolates them from healthy people and so on and so forth.

I see in my work too many people who have this victims attitude, which is always paired with entitlement complex. "I am a victim (in my own eyes), so I am entitled to...." entitled to their negative feelings, an apology, monetary reimbursement, sympathy, a government check, the good graces of their family, entitled to a listener when they want to verbally throw up all over the place ~ you name it, you owe it.

Interestingly enough, these "victims" scorn other "victims" not involved in their cause. "What are they so angry about, lousy free loaders trying to make a buck out of my paycheck?! If they want to know what "the shaft" is, they should come talk to ME! If you've had it bad, I've had it worse!! 150 years ago bad things happened to people I wouldn't know if I tripped over on the street and...... :mad: ."

blah blah blah. :roll:

angie":czgiho6q said:
VanC":czgiho6q said:
Of course it will Van (glad you ladies caught it ;-) ). Not only that, it makes them so miserable to be around, that they further isolate themselves from people with healthy attitudes creating more feelings of anger, bitterness, hatred and resentment which, in hand, further isolates them from healthy people and so on and so forth.

I see in my work too many people who have this victims attitude, which is always paired with entitlement complex. "I am a victim (in my own eyes), so I am entitled to...." entitled to their negative feelings, an apology, monetary reimbursement, sympathy, a government check, the good graces of their family, entitled to a listener when they want to verbally throw up all over the place ~ you name it, you owe it.

Interestingly enough, these "victims" scorn other "victims" not involved in their cause. "What are they so angry about, lousy free loaders trying to make a buck out of my paycheck?! If they want to know what "the shaft" is, they should come talk to ME! If you've had it bad, I've had it worse!! 150 years ago bad things happened to people I wouldn't know if I tripped over on the street and...... :mad: ."

blah blah blah. :roll:

I caught your sarcasm, too, angie. I was just playing along in my own special way. ;-) I agree with you 100%. Nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage. I'm proud of mine, too. But I'm getting sick and tired of being called a "Yankee" and being blamed for, and being expected to apoligize for, something that happened 150 years ago. I wasn't there, I had nothing to do with it, and I'll be dammed if I'll apoligize for it. By the way, your sentence about "victims" scorning other "victims" is right on the money. I probably don't see it as often as you do, but I see it every day, sometimes on this very forum.

chrisy":2j1udn2y said:
Van C...I see you have a liking for our great man Winny Churchill...at one time he was not very liked as a lot of people looked at him as a war monger...but now he is remembered for great things. Such as this his greatly misquoted speech.
Even though large parts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the Old .

That's right, chrisy. I think Churchill was a great man and was exactly what England, and the rest of the free world, needed at the time. He certainly doesn't get the credit he deserves in some circles. Can you imagine what would have happened had England fell in the early days of WW II? The Allies would have had to wage war against the Nazis from a great distance, taking much more time and costing millions more lives. In the end the Russians probably would have taken over all of Europe and the Middle East. Not a good scenario. The free world owes Churchill and the entire country of England a huge debt of gratitude.