How will this beef finish compared to a more traditional finishing method

Help Support CattleToday:

What
I get mine from Shaw Feeds in Mosheim. I am guessing you have been getting yours from Ronald Ray. You probably saw my house if you did.

I get mine in bags and it is $5 per 50 lb bag for the commodity and the whole and cracked corn is is $6 I believe. Shaw is is just about 10 minutes from Ray's on the back roads. But, Shaw does run out of corn in the late summer on occasion. If you go there, let me know.
A small world. I have been indeed going to Ray farms. I've been with my uncle to Shaws, thats where he goes from time to time. My uncle lives just a mile from Korner Market in Mohawk. We work in that area 90 percent of the time.

You Kin to the Dairy off Matthew's Loop?

What

A small world. I have been indeed going to Ray farms. I've been with my uncle to Shaws, thats where he goes from time to time. My uncle lives just a mile from Korner Market in Mohawk. We work in that area 90 percent of the time.

You Kin to the Dairy off Matthew's Loop?
No, I live close to the Jenkins farm you pass on the way to Ray's.

sstterry> If you mentioned the weight and class of cattle you are feeding corn I apologize for missing that entry. As regards your cost of corn per 50 lb
@ $5.00 would be $5.60 per bushel or 10 cents per. Cattle will eat around 3% of their bodyweight per day (if it is available). I doubt if you are feeding
a 3% corn only ration so assuming (caveat noted) you are feeding 600 lb wt @ 2% corn it would require around 12 lb per critter per day. Your rate of gain
may vary but usually one can figure 7 to 8 lbs of corn to a pound of gain. Of course the volume of corn increases with the weight gained and therefore
the cost. I guess the point of this is how do you compete at the market when corn is selling off the farm at $4 and pennies per bushel which the big
feedlots buy direct off the farm by the semi or rail car load? With time, equipment and facilities always a consideration are there any row crop operators
in the area that you could contact and make arrangements for bulk purchases and bypass the 50 lb bags? A blind man probably just described an
elephant here although that was not my intention. It is hard to compete against the advantage of volume.

Note for all: I had my tongue in cheek when I asked if Barley yield per acre was measured by the gallon.... le chey'm!

I did not say that this was all I was feeding. I am not a feedlot and The Commodity mix is for weaning calves so that they can be sold as pre-conditioned. Around here, very few producers are equipped to handle bulk feed like you are describing. What I am paying is the going rate in my area. I probably pay 5 cents more per/lb because it is in bags. Bear in mind, I will only be weaning 25-30 per year.

Latest posts