How will it?

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I was reading the news, the last couple of days there seems to be more and more companies cutting jobs. Not just a hundred either, more like thousands. American Express cutting 7,000 jobs nationwide, ArvinMeriter 1250 jobs, Merck, 2,000, and on and on. How is the economy ever going to recover, when people are losing their jobs all over the place. Makes me wonder.

GMN

The same way it always happens: One job at a time. Expansion and contraction are just as much a part of the economy as they are the cattle cycle. Eventually the growth becomes unsustainable due to some factor like oil or feed costs.

I suspect it impacts local econimies more in those cities where the jobs were located. Bell helecopter is laying off people here and suspect that GM will have to start sooner or later. When we all have to start tightening our belts, then the service industries, restaurants, hotels, retail outlets, will be the next to suffer. We have already seen retail sales drop.

My guess is that there are a lot of folks who plan to have a simpler Christmas this year. I know I am one. Have already decided that Steve and I won't be buying one another any presents. We aren't having our annual Thanksgiving week long thing this year, either. It's just too expensive to feed people for that long.

Not that I am complaining about the week long thing. It marks the opening of the most stressful period of my year.

Maybe I can enjoy the holidays for once this year. :nod:

For every crash there is a recovery. Just as there is a bust for every boom.
My grandad worked the roads to pay his property taxes during the 30's. My other grandad made some ethanol, I've heard. Things could be worse. We have to keep a tight grip on reality.

What goes up will come down. It's going to be tough for the next few years, but as always, we will hang on and survive.

Times like this seperate the men from the boys, the wheat from the chaff, etc.

We will survive. We will change. We will think about things differently when it's over.

The wife and I have talked about this at great length and agree that we will do whatever it takes.

Lammie":1t3aiyll said:
I suspect it impacts local econimies more in those cities where the jobs were located. Bell helecopter is laying off people here and suspect that GM will have to start sooner or later. When we all have to start tightening our belts, then the service industries, restaurants, hotels, retail outlets, will be the next to suffer. We have already seen retail sales drop.

My guess is that there are a lot of folks who plan to have a simpler Christmas this year. I know I am one. Have already decided that Steve and I won't be buying one another any presents. We aren't having our annual Thanksgiving week long thing this year, either. It's just too expensive to feed people for that long.

Not that I am complaining about the week long thing. It marks the opening of the most stressful period of my year.Maybe I can enjoy the holidays for once this year. :nod:

I've never been one to go overboard for the holidays. Wasn't raised that way. I had a classmate that would allways bring a list of all her Christmas presents to church on Christmas morning, I would get one present and a stocking. I wouldn't say I was jealous b/c I usually really like what I got, but I found it fascinating that a person would get so much. Now all these years later, her mother got sick and died and they didn't have insurance (between companies, sorry no coverage) and they lost their farm. I talked to my dad about that and we just commented on how I thought they were so rich when I was a kid and now they lost their farm.
I've found too, that my kids don't appreciate most of the "stuff" anyway.
On a side note, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I feel so blessed to have what I do.

One of the largest employers in my area is a boat manufacturer. At the moment they have laid off nearly 900 employees and are shutting down another operation this week. The only boats they are making at this time are the big boats - 30 -40 footers with six figure price tags. Gives you some food for thought.

john250":3osu08yu said:
For every crash there is a recovery. Just as there is a bust for every boom.
My grandad worked the roads to pay his property taxes during the 30's. My other grandad made some ethanol, I've heard. Things could be worse. We have to keep a tight grip on reality.

John bet that ethanol didn't go to run vehicles :lol: :lol:

iowahawkeyes":1dr21g8s said:
Lammie":1dr21g8s said:

Not that I am complaining about the week long thing. It marks the opening of the most stressful period of my year.Maybe I can enjoy the holidays for once this year. :nod:

I've never been one to go overboard for the holidays. Wasn't raised that way. I had a classmate that would allways bring a list of all her Christmas presents to church on Christmas morning, I would get one present and a stocking. I wouldn't say I was jealous b/c I usually really like what I got, but I found it fascinating that a person would get so much. Now all these years later, her mother got sick and died and they didn't have insurance (between companies, sorry no coverage) and they lost their farm. I talked to my dad about that and we just commented on how I thought they were so rich when I was a kid and now they lost their farm.
On a side note, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I feel so blessed to have what I do.

I could go for a simpler Christmas and I think my kids could, too. I know that family is important but we always end up with people over for a full week and I am just fragged by the time it is over. I need a holiday to get over the holidays. Steve loves it, though, so what the heck. Having one's MIL for four or five days will really drain the life outa you. I love her, but our family tradition was to come over, stay for several hours, maybe overnight, and then get the heck out of there. This is new to me. I like my privacy. I am kind of a hermit.

Lammie":ocyiubfd said:
iowahawkeyes":ocyiubfd said:
Lammie":ocyiubfd said:

I could go for a simpler Christmas and I think my kids could, too. I know that family is important but we always end up with people over for a full week and I am just fragged by the time it is over. I need a holiday to get over the holidays. Steve loves it, though, so what the heck. Having one's MIL for four or five days will really drain the life outa you. I love her, but our family tradition was to come over, stay for several hours, maybe overnight, and then get the heck out of there. This is new to me. I like my privacy. I am kind of a hermit.

Yes company is nice, but I know what you mean they always expect so much, want to go here, there and everywhere, and when a budget is already tight, it can get tricky coming up with free places to go to, and still feel like we are taking the time to entertain them. Mostly my brother comes to visit, which is easy, he doesn't expect much, and is easy going enough where he can entertain himself when we do chores.

I do like the big family gatherings though, all the holiday baking, and if I had more family that would be willing to make the drive, I would find a way to make it all work, and enjoy it.

Gail

dun":xbgfj0cn said:
My sentiments on ALL holidays "Bah, HUMBUG

You guys aren't much fun, and whats with the avatar? Warm and fuzzy caterpillars! Your new pets.

GMN

novatech":1luqrc8n said:
dun":1luqrc8n said:
My sentiments on ALL holidays "Bah, HUMBUG
Ditto

And I thought I was the only one that was burned out on holidays. They wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so darned commercialized! Xmas products were already on the shelves weeks ago. You almost have to mortgage the house to pay for it all!

well i quit enjoying the holidays 17yrs ago when my dad was sick.so now they are just days to me even though they still have special meaning.just not no fun anymore.

[/quote]

I could go for a simpler Christmas and I think my kids could, too. I know that family is important but we always end up with people over for a full week and I am just fragged by the time it is over. I need a holiday to get over the holidays. Steve loves it, though, so what the heck. Having one's MIL for four or five days will really drain the life outa you. I love her, but our family tradition was to come over, stay for several hours, maybe overnight, and then get the heck out of there. This is new to me. I like my privacy. I am kind of a hermit.[/quote]

Yes company is nice, but I know what you mean they always expect so much, want to go here, there and everywhere, and when a budget is already tight, it can get tricky coming up with free places to go to, and still feel like we are taking the time to entertain them. Mostly my brother comes to visit, which is easy, he doesn't expect much, and is easy going enough where he can entertain himself when we do chores.

I do like the big family gatherings though, all the holiday baking, and if I had more family that would be willing to make the drive, I would find a way to make it all work, and enjoy it.

Gail[/quote]

My step daughter always wants to go to bars, movies, shopping. I don't go to bars when she isn't here, I really don't see a need to go when she is. Besides, I have a 14 year old here, and that's not the bar hopping age. Honestly. When you go to see family, family is what you should see. I just stay home. It gives me a rest.

Latest posts