How to

Help Support CattleToday:

pits4life

Reaction score
I am starting out and would like suggestions on giving vaccinations etc. with out having a chute only a barn ,i thought i could possibly pin it in with a wood gate panel as a squeeze maybe.would really like some suggestions. i am only dealing with calves for the moment maybe as time progresses i could come up with a used one...

If the meds are required for intramuscular shots, give them in the neck.... If you give your shots in the butt you will ruin steaks and good meat... I always try to use shots under the skin....

pits4life":kk6ckay7 said:
I am starting out and would like suggestions on giving vaccinations etc. with out having a chute only a barn ,i thought i could possibly pin it in with a wood gate panel as a squeeze maybe.would really like some suggestions. i am only dealing with calves for the moment maybe as time progresses i could come up with a used one...
Yes you can use a gate. Shove them into a corner and trap them against the side of the barn. At 250 lbs you should be able to but them on the ground.
Sure would like to be there the first time. Might win some money on "Worlds Funnest Vedios". :lol2:

I have found that with working with light calves the closer I am to them the less chance I have of getting really whallopped. If I am 3-5 feet away I can get a rear leg launched into my knee, thigh or chest but if I am crowdingd the calf within 1 foot or less it may kick but it doesn't have a full arching strike. Is I can get to the point where I have my leg against it's butt then I usually don't get kicked at all. I prefer to use my chute but I have had to do it over the years as you are planning. Good luck and be careful.

Yes you can use a gate, after you drive them in gate, slip a rope halter on and have someone wrap it around gate and hold it, another to hold gate against calf. It makes it a little easier with head contained. Still will jump and wiggle, but you should be able to get it done. Watch with wood gates, if they kick, can split wood. I would use a metal panel. Have fun!

I would suggest that you get in touch with your County Extension agent and take the BQA course as well as the Master Beef Producer program. This will qualify you for the TN Agri Enhancement program and than you can put a head gate and alley in so that it will be safer for you to work calves and less dramatic on the calves. I think you have to have 30 head of cattle. With this program you can get 50% off of qualified equipment. It is a great program. Good luck on vac. your calves we use to vac. your way to.

thx to all for the info on this subject i am glad to be a part of this forum thank you all maybe one day i will have the knowledge to pass down,but i can give great carpenter advice and erosion control guidence lol :D

I rented a place once that the owner had ran about 40 head on. I asked him how he worked them, because there weren't any facilities other than a couple loafing sheds and a small three sided barn. He laughed and said come on I'll show you. We went in the barn and he showed me a stall he had setup with a hole in the partition where a cow can stick there head thru and feed in a trough on the other side. He had bolted two vertical pieces of angle iron parallel, one bolted ridged at top and bottom, and the other movable, just bolted at the bottom. When the cow/calf stuck their head thru to feed he would close the movable side and tied it at the top to the ridged side with a loop of wire. He said he kept sweet feed in the trough all the time and left the gate open to the stall. The cows got used to it and anytime he needed to work one he would put them in the stall and the first place they went was to that trough.

Latest posts