How to value standing hay

Help Support CattleToday:

lukem86

Reaction score
I have 15 acres of pure alfalfa that I want to sell first crop off of.

The stand is 4 years old, but still very dense. No weeds whatsoever. Got potash two years ago. Foliar fed 3 applications last year.

First crop last year I harvested right around 9.5 4x4 round silage bales (at 50%) per acre. Im not sure how much the stand has thinned since last year, but growth so far is very good.

I know this is probably highly dependant upon the region you live in, but how much is standing first crop worth? Just looking for some ballpark ideas. Thanks

I do not think you can put a fair price for the seller or buyer on standing hay because no two crops cut the same, even a commercial baler can not tell you how many bales it will make.

I agree with Kenny T. Every time I have been involved with standing hay especially alfalfa it has been done 50/50 shares and the owner of the hay sells his 50% to the person doing the harvest at a pre-arranged price per ton. That gives the owner incentive to keep hay and soil in prime condition and the purchaser to get the best harvesting accomplished and there is not any need to split areas of the field for whatever reason each would desire. Good luck I hope everything works well for you. JLP

A good stand goes for a 50/50 split around here. If it's thin or not obvious that it's not going to make a good cutting, then I charge $100.00 per hour for all time in and let you keep the hay.

lukem86":33uwjcxx said:
I have 15 acres of pure alfalfa that I want to sell first crop off of.

The stand is 4 years old, but still very dense. No weeds whatsoever. Got potash two years ago. Foliar fed 3 applications last year.

First crop last year I harvested right around 9.5 4x4 round silage bales (at 50%) per acre. Im not sure how much the stand has thinned since last year, but growth so far is very good.

I know this is probably highly dependant upon the region you live in, but how much is standing first crop worth? Just looking for some ballpark ideas. Thanks

Standing first crop isn't worth anything until it's been cut, dried, properly baled, and stacked under a shed or tarp with no rain on it. After those conditions are met, it's worth whatever your market will bear. Do your research and find out what comparable hay is going for in your area - that is the only way you will know what you can expect buyers to pay for it.

Latest posts