How to use the Boards...

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Gravlee

Reaction score
Viewing If you are registered and logged in, the Boards with new posts since your last visit have a red folder by them. Once you go to that Board all new unread messages have a red folder by them also. You can go to the first unread post in that topic by clicking on the little orange sheet of paper in the Topic column. You can go to the last post in a topic by clicking on the little piece of paper to the right of the posters name. You can go to the first post in a topic by clicking on the subject of the topic. Each post in the topic has a little piece of paper by the date posted. If it's orange you haven't read it. You can also click on "View posts since last visit" located in the upper right of the Forum Index page to see a list of all new messages.

Posting To post a new topic just click on the "new topic" tab. To post a reply to a specific message, just click on the "quote" button in the message to which you are replying and type in your reply. If you are replying to the topic in general and not a specific post just click on the "post reply" tab at the top of the messages. No Advertising Allowed!

Search We have over a million messages on the Boards. Use the "Search" tab at the top of the page to find the topic you are interested in reading more about.

Register! The boards are much more useful if you are registered and logged in. Just click the "Register" tab at the top of the page. Quick, free, easy. Check the "Log me on automatically each visit:" box and you will not have to relogin every visit.

PM (Private Message) To send a PM just click the PM button in a post. When you send a message it stays in your Outbox until the person reads it, then it automatically goes to your Sent box. That way you can tell when it is read. You only have a limited amount of space in your Inbox and Outbox so you need to delete old messages on a regular basis or the software will automatically replace the oldest message with the new one. Access Private Messages by clicking on the Inbox tab at the top of the page.

Posting an image is not complicated. Detailed instructions for posting pictures are here:
https://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=118935

FAQ Use the "FAQ" (Frequently Asked Questions) tab at the top of the page to learn more about the Boards. It will answer most of your questions.

I'm glad you made the switch. It was a bit unhandy to jump between the two styles. Thanks... :D

I agree..this new format is much easier, no more scrolling all the way down the page to see a complete posting, clicking back and forth etc. Thanks macon!

So does cow poop - but you get used to it!!

dun":1v23e3gs said:
Still think it stinks.

dun

At first I hated the new board, then I started to like it more. The picture thing and the pole, I really like. Keeping the replies to the posts strait, is still confusing. The worst part of the new board is that it is way slow to read. I am on dial-up and it takes a lot of time to jump from a reply back to the board, then to a new topic. You still have to scroll down with this board to find the last reply. For me the old board was 4 to 6 times faster. Don't mean to sound unapreciated of the hard work that went in to this sight. I will have to agree with Dun.

How do I get an Image under my screename?[/list][/list][/quote][/code]

If you click in your profile at the top of the screen, it will call up your profile sheet. Scroll to the bottom and you will see a section that has to do with avatars. click on the Browse box and locate the picture you want as an displayed. Double click the picture and it will be made into your avatar. Maximum size is 70X70 pixels.

dun

CopeMan":j6zi0c64 said:
How do I get an Image under my screename?[/list][/list]
[/code][/quote]

I agree with Dun. The new set up is more of a hassle. I also wish we could use a short message in the subject line and no message in the body. It appears that is no longer an option.

You still have to scroll down with this board to find the last reply.

If you click on the small piece of paper to the right of the poster's name in the Topics Index it will take you to the last post in that topic.

SORRY TO BE SO NEGATIVE--BUT I SURE DID LIKE THE OLD BOARD FORMAT. NOT ALL CHANGES ARE GOOD AND YOU SURE DID GO WRONG ON THIS CHANGE. IT WAS SO EASY TO USE AND READ. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIGURE THIS BOARD OUT NOW FOR 4 DAYS. IF ANYONE KNOWS OF A WEB SITE THAT IS COMPARATIVE TO THE OLD "CATTLE BEGINNERS BOARD" PLEASE LET ME KNOW, I WILL GLADLY CHANGE.

http://www.ranchers.net Bull Session still uses the old style software. At least for now. But they're not nearly as nice as the posters on this board. :lol: (Just kidding, honest) And http://www.cattlepages.com still uses the old style. But they're very, very slow these days. The more I use this board, the better I like it. I guess you can't please everyone. Good luck...

This has happened several times now. I log on and see red folders indicating the new posts since my last visit. I'm shown as a registered member at the bottom. After a couple minutes of reading through the posts ALL the folders, including those still unread by me, lose their color. As soon as I lose the folder colors (and the needed page marks for new posts) I also notice I've been bumped off the board, and I can neither send a reply or create a new post ("Sorry, but this username has already been taken"...yeah, by me!). Having the red folders makes it easy to find the posts I haven't yet read and makes the board very user friendly. LOSING the red folders BEFORE I've completed reading is very, very frustrating, however. Without the red indication the boards become a LOT of work and are tedious to the point of distraction. Is there something I'm doing wrong that causes this, or is it a characteristic of the new format? Thank you.

M Gravlee":2kh06a0d said:
Shouldn't be happening.
Anyone else having this problem?

i sometimes get kicked out (lose my whole internet connection) & first have to log back in to the internet then when i get back to the forum, all the red folders are no longer red & i'm no longer logged in.

Frankie":3fcergzg said:
www.ranchers.net Bull Session still uses the old style software. At least for now. But they're not nearly as nice as the posters on this board. :lol: (Just kidding, honest) And http://www.cattlepages.com still uses the old style. But they're very, very slow these days. The more I use this board, the better I like it. I guess you can't please everyone. Good luck...
I will take this Board Format over these other two any day of the week.

Just trying to figure out how to inset a quote in it's own little box and how to do it multiple times to keep each post separate. Plus how do you do just part of a post like a paragragh you want to quote? I read the FAQ board still know help. Everyone is doing it , so it must be staring me in the face. Thanks for any help!

Rod

MR3":1n9fqp79 said:
Just trying to figure out how to inset a quote in it's own little box and how to do it multiple times to keep each post separate. Plus how do you do just part of a post like a paragragh you want to quote? I read the FAQ board still know help. Everyone is doing it , so it must be staring me in the face. Thanks for any help!

Rod

Try clicking on the QUOTE button in the upper right hand corner of this message and type a response after the "quote" in brackets. Then click on PREVIEW at the bottom of the message and see if that answers your question.

Frankie said:
MR3 said:

Rod

Try clicking on the QUOTE button in the upper right hand corner of this message and type a response after the "quote" in brackets. Then click on PREVIEW at the bottom of the message and see if that answers your question.

Frankie, thanks for the response. I have tried this, but it wont put the quote in its own layer or insert box like it just did for you. It must be something real simple like what you just said. It just wont work for me.

Rod

Rod,

To quote a whole message just click on the quote button in the message you want to quote like I did in your message shown below.

MR3":3u74wr09 said:

Rod

If you just want to quote a part of a message, highlight the part you want to quote by holding down your left button on your mouse and dragging it over the text then copy it by clicking the right button on it. Open your reply and click the yellow quote button in your new reply, paste the text you copied by placing the cusor behind the quote symbol, click your right button and select paste. Then click the yellow quote button to "close the quote". Like this"
I have tried this, but it wont put the quote in its own layer or insert box like it just did for you. It must be something real simple like what you just said. It just wont work for me.

You can place your cusor to type your message above the quote or below it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts