How To Use A Burdizzo Castration Tool?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I know this may sound stuiped,but this tool is supose to be bloodless for castoration,and those of you that have one maybe can educate me a little. It is a 9inch hand held tool with a U type criping devise on the end of it.What I need to know is this better and more pain less and easer for the bull calves to recover from,and easier to use than the other type that you use the bands with? Do you go over the testicles with it at the very top and sqeeze it making it crimp the top of the glands? And at what age are weight is this best to be done?Are in your opinon is the band type better and easer? Thanks

[email protected]

T.D., I've used burdizzos from time to time and will say up front I'm not a big fan. Reasons would be that I believe it's harder on the animal (more pain and swelling, for a longer time) , and it's hard to know for sure the procedure was a success. Burdizzos are for working calves between 200 pounds and weaning. You will want to work the testicles down to the bottom of the scrotum and crush an inch or two above the top of each testicle. You work one side at a time, making sure to move the cord for each testicle to the outside prior to squeezing. Close the tool deliberately but don't slam it. You should hear a popping sound when the cords snap. Some people do it twice on each side for good measure, one slightly above the other. You're not supposed to crush all the way across because if you get the "seam" (pardon the lack of proper nomenclature) that runs down the middle of the scrotum it can increase swelling and cause blood supply problems.

Again, just my opinion, but it's not my preferred method because I think the animal suffers more and I'm never absolutely sure the job was 100% done. Plus, the folks at the sale might not be sure either. The scrotum will be drawn up and not look normal, but it doesn't look like a steer either. I think it can cost you. If the steer looks slightly bully and things are going fast as usual, those animals might not start or bid as high as otherwise.

Craig

> T.D., I've used burdizzos from
> time to time and will say up front
> I'm not a big fan. Reasons would
> be that I believe it's harder on
> the animal (more pain and
> swelling, for a longer time) , and
> it's hard to know for sure the
> procedure was a success. Burdizzos
> are for working calves between 200
> pounds and weaning. You will want
> to work the testicles down to the
> bottom of the scrotum and crush an
> inch or two above the top of each
> testicle. You work one side at a
> time, making sure to move the cord
> for each testicle to the outside
> prior to squeezing. Close the tool
> deliberately but don't slam it.
> You should hear a popping sound
> when the cords snap. Some people
> do it twice on each side for good
> measure, one slightly above the
> other. You're not supposed to
> crush all the way across because
> if you get the "seam" (pardon the
> lack of proper nomenclature) that
> runs down the middle of the
> scrotum it can increase swelling
> and cause blood supply problems.

> Again, just my opinion, but it's
> not my preferred method because I
> think the animal suffers more and
> I'm never absolutely sure the job
> was 100% done. Plus, the folks at
> the sale might not be sure either.
> The scrotum will be drawn up and
> not look normal, but it doesn't
> look like a steer either. I think
> it can cost you. If the steer
> looks slightly bully and things
> are going fast as usual, those
> animals might not start or bid as
> high as otherwise.

> Craig

Thanks Craig,

Im with you,I was thinking of buying one,but I won't go that route,maybe the rubber band would be better and less painless.

[email protected]

Any baby bulls born on my place become steers about two weeks after they are born. I use a sharp knife and a quick cut. Nothing fancy. Haven't had any problems with the calves, I do get kicked occasionally trying to hold the calft down.

[email protected]

Latest posts