How to treat cysts?

Help Support CattleToday:

pacadowling

Reaction score
Im back to ask for your help again. My calf is now about a month old. He developed a cyst at the site of his 8 way vaccination (about the size of a ping pong ball). Is this normal? He is also developing a cyst on the side of his mouth (also the size of a ping pong ball). He is eating a little leafy hay and just a little grain, he isnt pastured, just bottle feeding. I checked the inside of his mouth and there is no ulcer (thought it might be a foxtail). What do I do now? Id appreciate your help and feedback. Thank you. :cboy:

Probally ain't nothing to worry about. A lot of time when you vaccinate a lump will come up just under the skin. It may go away. If it don't don't worry about it. It won't hurt the meat and will peel away with the hide.

I'm concerned because Ive heard that cysts on the jaw can cause pain and discourage healthy feeding and the calf will start to fail...any truth to this?

Is it a real cysts? Its probally nothing more than an injection site knot. This happens frequently and is not anything to worry about.

Had one with the ping pong ball in it's throat from about the age of 2 weeks til slaughter - it was fine - didn't effect it at all.

Bama":1q2k9h86 said:
Is it a real cysts? Its probally nothing more than an injection site knot. This happens frequently and is not anything to worry about.

The lump on his neck is definitely from an 8-way injection, but I am still worried about the lump on the side of his mouth :(

Is it soft or hard. If its soft you can cut it open at the bottom and let it drain. A tetnitis shot would probally be in the works after this.

Bama":3d42u3b1 said:
Is it soft or hard. If its soft you can cut it open at the bottom and let it drain. A tetnitis shot would probally be in the works after this.

The lump is as hard as bone, on the jawbone

Keep an eye on the lump on its jaw, the one at injection site is normal. We had one that had a lump on it's jaw that got bigger and bigger, turned out to be an abscess. If that's the case when we dr'd her, we just lanced the thing and gave a shot of penn in the pasture and turned her loose. she done fine after that.

often a cyst around the mouth is in fact an abcess, it may feel hard at first, cus of the tension of the swelling and puss inside. how to find out ? insert a large bore needle into the center.. if puss, blood or any fluid for that matter comes out consider draining at the bottom with a small slit.

Now, how to heal the infection? irrigate with peroxide, and then follow up with a syringe full of penecillen, without the neddle of course, inject it into the slit.

should heal up nicely......

and tetnus shot would def. be a good idea when ever dealing with open wounds or larger infections. Good luck to you both :cboy:

Now, how to heal the infection? irrigate with peroxide, and then follow up with a syringe full of penecillen, without the neddle of course, inject it into the slit.

I agree with every thing but the peroxide. It will in fact make healing take longer. Warm soapy water or nalvasan(sp) would be better. I also believe if it is hard as a rock it may not be ready to be lanced. My vet like to wait until it is softer. the drawback with that is you might not be able to pen and treat at will.

Scotty

Why so it can fall to the ground. Also if you were to use peroxide it will kill the pen. when you inject it. Consult your vet but there are better grugs than Penecillen.

Scotty