How to tell when times up for your bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

I hope it ain't busted up to bad! What was your quad doing sitting out with the bull?

ez14.":13ed909c said:
I hope it ain't busted up to bad! What was your quad doing sitting out with the bull?

Na just broke the plastic and the seat and bent other stuff but I straightened it out

M-5":13ed909c said:
was someone riding it when it was tossed or was it left in the field ??

I was riding it got off to check a spot in the fence where it was shorting out and he had ran up when he seen me I thought he thought I had food nope I walked to the fence 10 feet away I heart a loud noise looked back and he had already did his damage. He also seen my buddy stand and decided the legs were too straight and bent it all up.

M-5":2al3o7pm said:
Don't waste time , load him up before someone gets hurt.

He is in an area with some others that are not respecting fences my fence is pretty darn hot and some calves have figured if they run straight through the fence the shock isn't that bad as if you slowly touch the fence. I am getting calves and bull up together mean/destructive and not respecting fences = gotta go

I start with behavior when deciding if time is up. I won't have a bull around that won't respect me, whether on foot in the pasture or on the lead of a halter/nose ring. I also expect the same level of respect for the dogs and anyone on horseback. In my situation, they are all handled frequently, so they have no excuse for bad behavior. After attitude is considered, then comes their ability to maintain condition in my program. They don't have it rough, but they aren't babied either. Next, I look at marketability. If he ain't working to make me money, either in our herds or a client's, it's hard to justify keeping one. And to be perfectly honest, sentimentality plays a part. I have two bulls (Titan and Maxxum) who will be buried on the place. They still check all the boxes marked above, but eventually they will cost me money instead of making it, and I am OK with that... :cboy:

skyhightree1":2yr4455g said:
He is in an area with some others that are not respecting fences my fence is pretty darn hot and some calves
have figured if they run straight through the fence the shock isn't that bad as if you slowly touch the fence.
Maybe not a problem in your part of the world. But here snow seems to act as an insulator for their feet and reduces
electric shock to nothing but a tickle and lack of respect by calves. Older animals already 'know' they'll get a shock
and respect electric fences even if it's not plugged in.

Son of Butch":245rtt12 said:
skyhightree1":245rtt12 said:
He is in an area with some others that are not respecting fences my fence is pretty darn hot and some calves
have figured if they run straight through the fence the shock isn't that bad as if you slowly touch the fence.
Maybe not a problem in your part of the world. But here snow seems to act as an insulator for their feet and reduces
electric shock to nothing but a tickle and lack of respect by calves. Older animals already 'know' they'll get a shock
and respect electric fences even if it's not plugged in.

We have had snow frequently but seems the older cows aren't running through the wires they break sometimes depending on the lot they are in but they will sure walk across one popping on the ground like its nothing there usually that scares them I think the calves are starting a bad vide the older ones may pick up on.

For us it is attitude mostly first. That means I don't want him snorting, pawing or acting aggressive towards me or a vehicle. Also, when he decides he has no respect for fences. Then it is legs, soundness, ability to get around. And once in awhile we have had a bull that just doesn't "click" with our cows and the calves are nothing to write home about. And one time we had a bull that we used for several years and all of a sudden he came up with no cows bred. Didn't even bother to do a BSE on him; just put him on the trailer and put 2 young bulls in to get the cows bred quick. They were behind but it could've been worse. They did all get bred in about 35 days with the two young bulls.

It's something about a place too.. Hector was a bit of a trouble maker for my friend.. beating the heck out of the round bales on the loader, breaking feeders, etc.. I don't have round bales or feeders, and he's a perfect gentleman around here.. I traded Marko for him, and he was fine here, but right from day 1 he learned how fun it is to play with that round bale.. I have a sneaking suspicion Trent doesn't mind all that much.. Neither have ever shown any aggression to people though, but both of them will beat the tar out of an invading bull.. I'm OK with that.

jltrent":3slt2fw4 said:
Don't park that new truck in the field and let him play with it.

You know I was thinking about that this morning if he does you will see pics of a lot of ground beef :lol:

Can there be a situation where older (5 to 8 years) bulls can pass a semen test but don't have the mobility to get it all done?

We MIG 3 to 14 acre paddocks and so the bulls don't need to travel sections of range, but we run about 40 cows per mature bull so they do need to stay of top of things.

Latest posts