How to stop a steer from kicking?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
My steer keeps kicking at people, and my fair i am going to wont allow you to come if your steer kicks all the time. Any suggestions on how too keep a steer from kicking those would be appreciated!! :D

The fair is in 2 1/2 weeks. THanks

One way is to "bag them down". Get a straw broom and put a hessian/feed bag over the head and tie it on. Rub it ALL over your animal. He'll kick and what not but keep doing it. Do this for a few days and he should be ok. If not you get mean, get a piece of plastic pipe (we call it poly pipe) and when he kicks out, whack him with it. Sounds mean but it works. I had a steer that kicked a lot. A few days of receiving a whack for it stopped him from kicking from then on. Also try and handle him more. The more he is handled the quieter he will be.

We tied streamers and caution tape like stuff to a fan and put that behind a steer in a chute once. The streamers touched him all over and he would kick at it until he got tired. We have also used a plastic pipe and smacked the calf every time he kicked.

In my opinion they kick because they are scared. When I have a kicker that is allready halter broke. I concentrate on that back end. I let him know that I am there and somehow move in on him to brush hips, tail head and rear quarter. This type take a firm brushing, something that both soothes and gets their attention. I can usually braek one from kicking this way. If they do not stop, they get to go to someone else's barn, pasture or fridge! :lol2:

I'll put them in a chute and annoy the heck out of them with water from a hose. They can kick at it all they want and it won't stop me from spraying them. They usually tend to slow way down on the kicking after a few sessions.

Avalon":304cqfzj said:
In my opinion they kick because they are scared. When I have a kicker that is allready halter broke. I concentrate on that back end. I let him know that I am there and somehow move in on him to brush hips, tail head and rear quarter. This type take a firm brushing, something that both soothes and gets their attention. I can usually braek one from kicking this way. If they do not stop, they get to go to someone else's barn, pasture or fridge! :lol2:
This is true most of the time - but sometimes they just "learn" they can "do it" just to be nasty.
We had a cow that was shown as a calf, as a bred heifer, then as a cow. Near the end of our show season, she started kicking. Knew exactly what she was doing. Had enough - just wanted to be left alone.

we used to tie a plastic milk jug onto their tails and they'd kick at it until they realized it won't help. or wack them with a pvc pipe.

Back the up to a cement wall
Sounds cruel, and I never did it deliberately, but works.

I had this bull once who was dead quiet, but just kicked sporadically for the he!! of it. In the washbay he'd swung round with his bum to the wall and tried his usual give a kick thing- well, musta hurt a bit - he never kicked again!

Not ideal but he realised it wasn't worth kicking.

Aside from that, can't say I've ever had a problem with kickers. Everything else I've broken in has been really good. Guess I'm just lucky :)

We had a heifer one time that kick at everything. Tied her up and rolled a ball under her and in between her legs, behind her back legs. Did this for 2 or 3 days, for about 30 -45 mins. a day, did the trick, she stopped kicking.

The ball was one of those plastic/rubber balls that are in the big bends at walmart, target, etc. the size of basketballs or soccer balls, at that time they were 2 or 3 dollars.

Good luck.

Latest posts