How To Stockpile Diesel??

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Was wondering the best way to store diesel and unleaded gas at our place since prices are down now. I've checked into those special square tanks that people put on their trucks...but very expensive for # of gallons they hold. The overhead gas storage tanks on a stand are also expensive, assuming one can find a new one...

Any suggestions anyone? Probably looking at 100 to 250 gallons storage.

How long can one store these fuels before it degrades?
What is the best & safest type of tank to store them in?
What type of anti-static devices does one need on the tanks?

Will appreciate any answers anyone has!

Thanks

the man things on storing diesel is to add an additive such as howes at double the rate and keep th tank full a full tank won't condensate where a less than full will.
a overhead used tank is about $300 around here a new one is around $900 always use a good filter on them
I don't have a prob with it getting old as I use alot from march thru oct in the tractors and then I run the dozer alot in the winter
something you might chck on is a aluminum tank off of semi they usually sell them for a $1 per gal

The overhead tanks are about the cheapest in the long run. In ground tanks you can run into problems with the EPA when you try to sell the place.
I've stored both diesel and gasoline using stabil for upto a year and ahlf with no problems. When I got aorund to start usig the diesel again I did put soe of that non-gelling cetane rating boosting stuff in it.

Angus Cowman":pybu4fqh said:
something you might chck on is a aluminum tank off of semi they usually sell them for a $1 per gal

You are right. They work great.

I've got two of them. One is slightly dented. They are 85 gallon tanks. Seems like I gave $50 for both of them. I probably spent more than that on hose and chains to hoist them with. I just lift them up with the front bucket and gravity fill the tractor, hoe, or cat.

Diesel up in Weatherford on I-20 was cheaper than off road diesel locally. I hauled both tanks up there and filled them. I can fill the truck out of those tanks too now since it is not offroad fuel.

you can find diesel tanks from 100 gal to 500 gal overhead or tanks on skids.we have 2 overhead fuel tanks an 1 100 gal fuel tank.

Check with your local service stations. If they make farm deliveries for fuel, they may have some tanks for you. Only thing, is you have to use their fuel and no on else's.

The local station in my town has many 500 gallon barrels for people to use. All you need is a pad of concrete to set the barrel on, and power to the pump. They will come fill it for you. When my wife and I get moved, I plan on doing that as long as prices are close to where they are now, or at least under $2/gallon.

I have 3 of the 500 gallon skid mount fuel tanks. There the ones you see at some of the rural fire or rescue squads. 2 of the tanks are on road and one is an off road tank. I have them sitting on a concrete pad under a carport (not near a building) to keep them out of direct sunlight. I have a 30 amp 220 circuit running out to a 4 breaker panel for the pumps and lights.

Right before I get a load of fuel I add in SWEPCO 501. During the winter I add in an anti gel agent. On the pumps I have 2 filters/water separators; one is a standard unit and the other is a 10 micron unit. I do circulate the fuel for a few minutes before I start pumping into a truck or tractor if I have not used the tank for a few days.

With bulk storage that's not at a controlled temperature will have more condensation. As far as additives every area has different additives in there fuel. I would talk to some local companies that use bulk fuel and see what they use.

A few semi tanks would be a great cheap tanks to use. If your thinking about getting bulk delivery make sure you don't need a bulk fuel permit and that they will fill those tanks.

dun":2o1i2lv0 said:
In ground tanks you can run into problems with the EPA when you try to sell the place.

Excellent advice. Don't put it in the ground period! There are a different set of rules and regulations concerning this and you don't need this headache. Especially diesel. Also I believe there is a size threshold on the volume in above ground tanks as well. Once this is exceded then you get into other regulation issues as well.

I'm thinking its still 2000 gallons total fuel storage in my neck of the woods. This includes waist oil where I'm at.

diesel is the easy one to store, it doesn't evaporate off like gas.. we have a 250 gallon tank on a rack, which eliminates needs for pumps, etc which is always nice.. we want to find a much bigger tank too..

On.. make sure you lock the tanks up well.. (though switching the labels on them could be fun instead)

Nesikep":1vjwejsg said:
On.. make sure you lock the tanks up well.. (though switching the labels on them could be fun instead)

My wife has filled her car a few times with dyed diesel. I just took the dyed fuel key away from her. Now the few times she need off road she just uses on road.

Before I took it to the shop to get it flushed I drained the tank, flushed the fuel tanks, changed the filter, and refilled the tank. When I got there he told me to run a few tanks through it and to flush it out again.

You may be able to find a used tank on a stand at a farm auction. I bought one 10 plus years ago, a 300 gallon tank with the stand for $65 works real good, never a problem.

GMN

Years ago we bought some old butane/propane tanks and used them to store gas and diesel. Put 1" hose on big liquid valve for filling tractor, truck etc. No pumps. Just used compressed air to force fuel out. All sealed and no condensation. Just unscrewed popoff valve for supplier to fill. When dad retired from farming he had over 2500 gal of diesel left. Took him several years to use in diesel suburban. Had no problems with gelling, separation etc.

Latest posts