how to split a steer for meat?

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
i will be supplying a steer and sending to the butcher. i want to keep half and neighbor wants to buy the other half. how would be a fair way to do this? he will do nothing but pick up the meat from me.

also if i have a 500 lbs grass feed steer, lock him in a pen with grain and grower, how long would it take to get up to 1,200 lbs? (est)

i'll say it will take you 9-10 months (270-300 days) or 2.33- 2.6 lbs/day
How "Fair" do you want to be?

Delivered a 1200 lb steer to a local butcher this week, sold to a good friend who is splitting it with his neighbor.
He paid me $2 lb hanging weight (730 lb hw) and the butcher will process and label each side separately and they'll
pay the butcher for processing when they pick up the meat.

$2 lb hanging weight is about 1.20 lb live weight.
1.40 lb live weight = 2.30 lb hw

Son of Butch":3bbkoxm7 said:
i'll say it will take you 9-10 months (270-300 days) or 2.33- 2.6 lbs/day
How "Fair" do you want to be?

Delivered a 1200 lb steer to a local butcher this week, sold to a good friend who is splitting it with his neighbor.
He paid me $2 lb hanging weight (730 lb hw) and the butcher will process and label each side separately and each
will pay the butcher for their 1/2 of the processing when they pick up the meat.

$2 lb hanging weight is about 1.20 lb live weight.
1.40 lb live weight = 2.30 lb hw

We do just like Son of Butch. The steers are split in half to hang. Each person gets a half and fills out their own cut sheet.

As BHB said, the butcher will split the carcass in 1/2, and will give you a hanging carcass weight. He pays you x$ x lbs of hanging weight. I charge $3.25, but you want to be sure you are selling QUALITY beef.
Are you experienced with finishing a steer? Do you know if he is ready to harvest?
Edit: This won't make any difference if you are looking to put hamburg and pot roasts in your freezer, but if you are looking forward to a great steak ?? that only comes with a properly finished steer. Also, be sure your butcher hangs the carcass for at least 7 days. I have mine left hanging for 14 days. Most places will not do this.