HOW TO SELL FINISHED STEERS

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I'VE BOUGHT 16 STEERS WEIGHING FROM 500 TO 800 POUNDS (BLACK ANGUS). I HAVE 30 ACRES OF GOOD PASTURE. I PLAN ON KEEPING THEM UNTILL THIS FALL. I'LL FEED 5# OF A 12% MIX PER HEAD PER DAY IN ADDITION TO PASTURE AND FREE CHOICE MINERAL. WHAT WILL BE THE BEST WAY FOR ME TO SELL THIS FALL? I CAN'T FIND A CATTLE MARKET IN MY AREA (SOUTH CENTRAL KENTUCKY) THAT BUYS VERY MANY STEERS THIS SIZE.

[email protected]

> I'VE BOUGHT 16 STEERS WEIGHING
> FROM 500 TO 800 POUNDS (BLACK
> ANGUS). I HAVE 30 ACRES OF GOOD
> PASTURE. I PLAN ON KEEPING THEM
> UNTILL THIS FALL. I'LL FEED 5# OF
> A 12% MIX PER HEAD PER DAY IN
> ADDITION TO PASTURE AND FREE
> CHOICE MINERAL. WHAT WILL BE THE
> BEST WAY FOR ME TO SELL THIS FALL?
> I CAN'T FIND A CATTLE MARKET IN MY
> AREA (SOUTH CENTRAL KENTUCKY) THAT
> BUYS VERY MANY STEERS THIS SIZE. You are like me I am from middle Tn. and we just don't have a market for those kinds of cattle.Many years ago my dad would feed out big steers and heifers and send them to a packing plant in Knoxville but I believe thay are no longer in business.A few years ago I was in middle Indiana (can't remember the town) went to a salebarn and they were selling fed cattle there very well they had two or three buyers bidding for them.You are alot closer to Indiana than I am and I considered hauling a load up there.Decided against it because of the distance.Your cattle (and mine)can't compete with Indiana fed cattle those buyers can tell if they've been eating grass as opposed to full feed.I prefer to feed small cattle Eastern cattle company from Kentucky buys most of the feeders in this area probably your area to.

[email protected]

You are exactly right. I've noticed that Kentuckiana stockyard right across the river from Indiana is buying a few steers this size. They sell them as slaughter steers instead of feeders and are selling for $0.76 @ 1323#. Thats $1005 each before comission. I can live with that. As for the grass instead of feed problem could I finish them on feed the last few weeks and still get that price? How many pounds per head should I finish on and for how long? Thanks for your help.

[email protected]

Latest posts