how to sale feeder calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Barry Harris

Reaction score
I got 5 angus feeder calves that i need to sale but dont know what is the best way to sell them . If i go to the local sale barn should say by the head or by the pound ? Or wait for a feeder sale were they grade them? I am kinda new to the selling part of the cattle business. any help would be appericated

Barry Harris":bqxour8f said:
I got 5 angus feeder calves that i need to sale but dont know what is the best way to sell them . If i go to the local sale barn should say by the head or by the pound ? Or wait for a feeder sale were they grade them? I am kinda new to the selling part of the cattle business. any help would be appericated
I don't where you are but most all the salebarns here grade the calves and put them in a pen with others of the same size, grade and color. Then they are sold as a group. The are a few sales around that sell them individually, most here locally won't unless they are not graded.

How uniform are your calves? How much weight spread? Age difference? If they look like peas in a pod, then sell them as a group by the pound. Otherwise sell individually.

as for the looks they are hard to tell them apart but for one a month difference in age weight is on my mind . I am guessing about 80 pounds difference from the biggest to the smallest one(3bulls and 2heifers)

BC":30n0y60y said:
How uniform are your calves? How much weight spread? Age difference? If they look like peas in a pod, then sell them as a group by the pound. Otherwise sell individually.

Barry Harris":5jqq55go said:
as for the looks they are hard to tell them apart but for one a month difference in age weight is on my mind . I am guessing about 80 pounds difference from the biggest to the smallest one(3bulls and 2heifers)

BC":5jqq55go said:
You possibly could sell the 3 bulls in a group and the 2 heifers. To really take advantage of lot size you need more animals in each lot.

Latest posts