How to remove bark from red cedar

Help Support CattleToday:

garseer

Reaction score
I have a red cedar chunk of wood that I will be using for a mantle. It has Bark on one side that I need to remove before polying. Can anyone tell me how they remove the bark. I have seen them at flea markets where all the bark was removed, but not sure how to go about it.

I think you just peal it off kinda like taking the shucks off roasting ears. At least that's how I get the bark off my fence cedar posts.

I don't know if this is right or not but I just start on the end and peel it down like the Warbbler's do. (is that how you spell that bird's name? Don't know if that name is even right but that's what I have heard them called)

As the slab dries out it usually retreats from the timber somewhat and often just falls off with time . There is a layer where the sapwood starts and this is usually where to start. Pressure washing would not do anything special that I can see.

I often use the back of the axe and bash the bark to get it started . A hammer would do too. Then strip it lengthways . Fence posts where bark is left on and the wire is wrapped arround the bark tend to lift and bubble near the wire and eventually the bark pulls out after maybe three years

Run a razer knife down the piece of wood, don't cut too deep, and peel it off one strip at a time. That's how I've seen it done. My neighbor tried a pressure washer, I guess he had the wrong tip, and it fuzzied up the wood and made it all cottoney.

If the bark is sticking to the wood it is probably still to green to be finishing. Most cedar bark I have seen starts peeling on it's own when it dries, or at least comes off with very little effort. I have seen dry logs run through a mill and most of the bark come off at the time, where as green logs tend to retain the bark.

Latest posts