How to raise livestock in the desert

Help Support CattleToday:

jj216

Reaction score
Apparantly Ga. will soon become desert.Mabye some of yall from Az,Nevada or New Mexico can give me some tips.I figured Id start trying to learn ahead of time.I aint got enough land to run 1 head per 50 acres so that wont work.Mabye some of those really big jack rabbits will move in .Theyre pretty cool looking but might eat whatever is growing(sure as heck aint grass).Yall can keep the Western Diamond back ,we have plenty of rattlesnakes already.

That's awful. I hate it for ya'll.

'05 was terrible here. Everyone was saying it was so bad in the 50's that they burned cactus needles off of prickly pear and fed it to the cows. I cracked up laughing. All the prickly pear looked like dried up purple and brown carboard. So it was definately worse than the 50's. I looked at the records (locally) for the 50's drought and we broke them all.

This year has been very wet for us. It will be one of the best hay crops in years except that there is a lot of weed in the pastures now.

Caustic gave me some insight on the elevated hay cradles. I have built many now out of old trampoline frames. Those cradles sure cut down on the amount of wasted hay that you get with hay rings. You might look into something like that if you are feeding hay already.

Maybe you folks will get some rain soon. I sure hope so.

One more thing. If you have any welding to do, get it done in case you don't get any rain. Keep a water hose close by.

In '05 they started fining anyone $5K if they were caught welding. All welding was banned for months. We couldn't do any repairs to anything unless it was within a closed building on concrete with special approval. Ranches were burning up every day in wildfires. Each day we were asking "Who is next?" You couldn't brush hog because it would start fires immediately. All you could really do was plow fire breaks.

Yep, we were wondering the same thing about raising cattle in Florida. Still praying for rain here, too.

Does anyone know a good flame retardant to spray on cows? :lol: Dang fires everywhere here in North Florida...

Little Cow":192oo6ts said:
Yep, we were wondering the same thing about raising cattle in Florida. Still praying for rain here, too.

Does anyone know a good flame retardant to spray on cows? :lol: Dang fires everywhere here in North Florida...

Maybe that's an advantage in those no good black Angus cows. They stay in the ponds so they won;t burn.
(I hope it isn;t necesarry to say, but I'm kidding about the no good Angus)

dun

It is definitely getting beyond critical here. I'm fencing some more woods off so they can eat palmetto and wiregrass and whatever else they can find.

I just heard the radio guy say it was going to be beautiful for the next several days. :mad:

dun":7nzw6l9m said:
Little Cow":7nzw6l9m said:

Maybe that's an advantage in those no good black Angus cows. They stay in the ponds so they won;t burn.
(I hope it isn;t necesarry to say, but I'm kidding about the no good Angus)

dun

:lol: :lol: :lol: I knew if we looked long and hard enough, sooner or later an advantage to raising Black Angus would become apparent.

All joking aside, I truly hope they get the fires put out very soon Little Cow, and that the damage is minimal. That goes for everyone else that is having to deal with this situation, as well.

Latest posts