How to pronounce, Gelbvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
Where I'm from, I notice that people pronounce Gelbvieh differently. Some pronounce the the "b," as in Gelbee. others pronounce the "v", as in Gelvee. Others make some king of mumbling pronunciation that I can't quite make out. Maybe they are trying to put both sounds in. What is the proper way to pronounce it?

You are right! It IS Gelp-fee. Maybe I was trying to avoid the "F" word there! You are also right in stating that the breed is having a positive impact in the beef business, not only in the purebred aspect of the breed, but because of the terrific progeny that cross breeding produces by using Gelbvieh in mating protocols.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":54h3fcys said:
You are right! It IS Gelp-fee. Maybe I was trying to avoid the "F" word there! You are also right in stating that the breed is having a positive impact in the beef business, not only in the purebred aspect of the breed, but because of the terrific progeny that cross breeding produces by using Gelbvieh in mating protocols.

DOC HARRIS

DOC, what is a preferred cross using Gelbvieh. I have Simangus. Our UK extension service agent speaks highly of Gelbvieh. I have one PB Simmental. How could I fit them into my operation?

hillsdown":jrt7idty said:
Actually, it is pronounced Gelp-fee

The Gelbvieh (pronounced Gelp-fee) breed is one of the oldest German cattle breeds

http://www.gelbvieh.org/whygelbvieh/gel ... story.html

and thI actually do not care how you pronounce it or mispronounce it , as long as you are aware of the breed e positive impact it is now having in the beef sector ! :cowboy:
Have to agree with you. Kind if like the proverbial "d" in Piedmontese, in Europe it does not use the "d". The non black breeds get too little coverage. Folks need to open their minds to other possibilities.... In my opinion. :tiphat:

CKC1586":1x8iv21f said:
hillsdown":1x8iv21f said:
Actually, it is pronounced Gelp-fee

The Gelbvieh (pronounced Gelp-fee) breed is one of the oldest German cattle breeds

http://www.gelbvieh.org/whygelbvieh/gel ... story.html

and thI actually do not care how you pronounce it or mispronounce it , as long as you are aware of the breed e positive impact it is now having in the beef sector ! :cowboy:
Have to agree with you. Kind if like the proverbial "d" in Piedmontese, in Europe it does not use the "d". The non black breeds get too little coverage. Folks need to open their minds to other possibilities.... In my opinion. :tiphat:

The Gelbvieh around here are predominantly black. There are red but most folks go for the black due to markets being as they are.

inyati13":3ohbtdl6 said:
DOC HARRIS":3ohbtdl6 said:

DOC HARRIS

DOC, what is a preferred cross using Gelbvieh. I have Simangus. Our UK extension service agent speaks highly of Gelbvieh. I have one PB Simmental. How could I fit them into my operation?

Not a Doctor, but the Gelbvieh Bull would be a good fit on your SimAngus cows if you wanted the three way cross. That calf would then be terminal for me.

fitz

inyati13":2z2n90ny said:
DOC HARRIS":2z2n90ny said:

DOC HARRIS

inyati13-

To avoid a long, and perhaps complicated explanation for some members to attempt to 'muddle' through, I will make a few rather succinct comments - all of which are My Opinions.

As with ALL mating plans, balancing the desirable traits and characteristics of the individual cattle involved in the matings is as important, or more so, than the specific breeds concerned. "Like Begets Like" is as true a statement today as it has been for many years. The resulting heterosis achieved by crossbreeding maximizes the necessity of BALANCING multiple trait selection factors!

The important factor to consider in deciding upon which breed to mate to which breed is - "what is popular or sells best in your particular marketing area"? The environmental conditions in the deep South suggest that Brahman-influenced breeds have greater success being used in crossbreeding 'protocols' (this means certain rules and procedures to be followed) than using straight British or European breeds in the mating crosses. In using any mating plans, it must be borne in mind that there are two types of beef cattle: MATERNAL (cow/calf and retaining breeding stock) and TERMINAL (specifically intended for feedlots and meat market sales). Of course, there are always "cross over" operations with both production methods. Cross mating of two component breeds creates a composite animal, designed to retain heterosis (hybrid vigor) in future generations without crossbreeding and maintained like a pure breed. The management of this composite breed is a totally different subject and is material for another day, and another thread.

To answer your question, inyati, I don't think that one could say that there is "A" specific choice breed for your operation. I would recommend Gelbvieh first, then Angus, Red Angus, Red Poll, or Hereford as a cross. Or, frankly, several other beef breeds - to capitalize on THEIR particular breed traits. My particular choice(s) would be either Gelbvieh or Red Angus, which would give your particular mating a strong Terminal influence! Should make fine cattle if focusing on either Growth or Carcass EPD's - your choice. With your Simangus herd, any of the mentioned breeds above (with the exception of Angus) would create a three-way cross, which COULD develop some great beef cattle - keeping in mind the balancing management protocols previously mentioned. But I would use Gelbvieh as a breed, without a hesitation!

DOC HARRIS

Thank you, DOC. Very lucid. I have learned from my visits here. We all don't have cattle for the same reason. Originally, I purchased my farm to conduct recreational activity. I was introduced to some of the CAIP opportunities available in KY and thought I could be productive utilizing some of those programs. With those programs, I built an excellent cattle handling facility, state of the art heated cattle watering facility, high grade woven wire fencing and state approved bred heifers. I purchased a Cat D3G Dozer and renovated about 60 acres producing excellent pasture. I probably created more return on my investment in the capital improvement than I will with cattle. As a professional, I worked in enforcement both on the regulatory end and the technical end. I was able to employ my scientific training in many ways. But nothing I have done has allowed me to enjoy my biological training more than cattle husbandry. I do not aspire to be a breeder as it takes so long to build a reputation and clientele but I would like to experiment and see what I might produce in the "crucible".

I like the humor in the saying, "Yesterday, I couldn't spell Terminal Producer, Today I is one."

Thanks.
Ron

Some producers are attempting to keep their herds 50% Continental (Simmental, Gelbvieh, etc) and 50% Angus. There are several reasons for doing this, including the increased efficiency of good crossbred cows, and capturing the growth and muscling of Continentals, while still producing adequate marbling from the Angus component.

I know of a couple large, progressive operations that are using SimAngus and Balancers to accomplish this. They breed their SimAngus sired females to Balancers, and vice versa. This allows them to maintain the 50% Continental/50% Angus while still capturing some heterosis from the inclusion of both Simmental (SimAngus) and Gelbvieh (from Balancers). Inyati13, you may want to consider this strategy as you determine how to incorporate Gelbvieh into your herd.

Thanks. I know it may not matter how it is pronounced, but I didn't want to look like a goober when talking about them to others.

Gelbvieh means "yellow cow" or so the Gelbvieh breeders I know claim.

i remember my brother inlaw trying to pronouce it a few years ago..... it sounded like gelbeveegeess.. but ive heard of black english, black branglish :lol:

ALACOWMAN":4xbsrj18 said:
i remember my brother inlaw trying to pronouce it a few years ago..... it sounded like gelbeveegeess.. but ive heard of black english, black branglish :lol:
:lol: I hear people making about the same attempt. I avoid by not talking about them!

inyati13":3hmla6ok said:
ALACOWMAN":3hmla6ok said:
:lol: I hear people making about the same attempt. I avoid by not talking about them!
there was a old trader that place joined mine that knew cattle well.. after buying a few cows from a farmer... im going to find a old peach orchad bull to breed em to.. i thought about it later and assume he meant cryptorchid
:cowboy:

inyati13":11biirz9 said:
Thank you, DOC. Very lucid. I have learned from my visits here. We all don't have cattle for the same reason. Originally, I purchased my farm to conduct recreational activity. I was introduced to some of the CAIP opportunities available in KY and thought I could be productive utilizing some of those programs. With those programs, I built an excellent cattle handling facility, state of the art heated cattle watering facility, high grade woven wire fencing and state approved bred heifers. I purchased a Cat D3G Dozer and renovated about 60 acres producing excellent pasture. I probably created more return on my investment in the capital improvement than I will with cattle. As a professional, I worked in enforcement both on the regulatory end and the technical end. I was able to employ my scientific training in many ways. But nothing I have done has allowed me to enjoy my biological training more than cattle husbandry. I do not aspire to be a breeder as it takes so long to build a reputation and clientele but I would like to experiment and see what I might produce in the "crucible".

I like the humor in the saying, "Yesterday, I couldn't spell Terminal Producer, Today I is one."

Thanks.
Ron
what changed :cowboy:

Latest posts