How to proceed with a newly purchased barn sale calf

Help Support CattleToday:

JosieBlue

Reaction score
Hi all! I bought a weaned highland calf at the sale barn yesterday and this was my first sale barn purchase. I would like some advise on how to proceed with the little guy without causing too much stress. He is set up in a clean stall and is seperated from my other cows. I would like to get a halter on him and give him a grooming but I don't want to scare him right off the bat! How long should I keep him seperated ? How do you all proceed with a new cow? Thanks for your advice!

I agree with Butch. Other than that, can you give some more information, such as the calf's size (which should give an idea of age) and temperament? It's generally a good idea to keep newly purchased cattle penned up for a while until they settle down and become accustomed to the new surroundings.

"Weaned" as in 400 to 600 lbs, 6 to 8 months old? Or "weaned" taken/split off mom and its only days to weeks old? How big is it?

The answers to those questions can result in different answers from the first definition to the 2nd.

My advice for a 400 pounder is going to be a bit different than the advice for a few-days-old baby.

He is 230 pounds. I believe the guy was recently split with ma, as I offered him a bottle just to make sure and he was def. not familiar. He seems pretty wild. I'd love to tame him up first-any idea how to go about it? All my calves were bottle babies so they have been tame from the get go. This guy is a little jumpy!

What age is best to castrate? I'll get with the vet , but I think he is too young to vaccinate yet.

Oh and my plans for him are that I would ideally like to train him to be a riding steer......really! Thanks for all the help

JosieBlue":3by9ww0k said:
He is 230 pounds. I believe the guy was recently split with ma, as I offered him a bottle just to make sure and he was def. not familiar. He seems pretty wild. I'd love to tame him up first-any idea how to go about it? All my calves were bottle babies so they have been tame from the get go. This guy is a little jumpy!

What age is best to castrate? I'll get with the vet , but I think he is too young to vaccinate yet.
A calf from the sale barn is never too young to vaccinate. Call the vet in the morning and get what he says. Also be sure to tell him it came from the sale barn.
And to tame it down we always just put a halter on them and tie them up. They will sometimes act real crazy at first but calm down pretty quick.

Really? I would love to vaccinate my others as well ( two 9 week old jerseys and. 7 week old jersey ). But the vet said that he ideally gives vaccinations at 4 months ideally . As far as wormer goes , I have never wormed- which is the best? Is it OTC or sink get it from the vet? Maybe I should just have the vet out to castrate and vaccinate the whole lot of them. Is the castration something they can do at the barn or is it better to bring him in? I know folks band them , but I have no experience with that thus far.

If you can I would recommend keeping him quarantined from your others for a few days to make sure he is ok and doesn't bring in sickness in to the rest of your calves. Any of the major farm stores should carry the wormer you would need. Do you have a headgate? If you do I would probably see if the vet could come out and castrate him for you and maybe advise you on a vaccination/health program that would work for your goals with him and the other calves. If you don't have a headgate I would take him to the vet. Even a calf that size could make for a rodeo without some handling infrastructure in place. It's good to build a relationship with your vet for future needs.

Son of Butch":xoy2282z said:
JosieBlue":xoy2282z said:
Maybe I should just have the vet out to castrate and vaccinate the whole lot of them.
Wait 60-70 days and have the Vet do them all on same trip to save $ of an extra vet call.

Good idea . I do have a headcatch and a great relationship with my vet. How long do I need to wait to introduce the new guy to the herd? What is the best way to go about it? He will be the second largest of the herd ( behind the jersey Mama) and the only bull. Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate all the info and advice!

JosieBlue":3bzrkg6u said:
Really? I would love to vaccinate my others as well ( two 9 week old jerseys and. 7 week old jersey ). But the vet said that he ideally gives vaccinations at 4 months ideally . As far as wormer goes , I have never wormed- which is the best? Is it OTC or sink get it from the vet? Maybe I should just have the vet out to castrate and vaccinate the whole lot of them. Is the castration something they can do at the barn or is it better to bring him in? I know folks band them , but I have no experience with that thus far.
Ok, your vet and I may be talking about 2 different types of vaccine. I buy calves every week and with minutes of being unloaded they are vaccinated for possible shipping fever, given 7 way, pinkeye vaccine, wormed, implanted, and castrated if needed. If your calf is a highland and weighs 230 it may be several months old and it sure is old enough for any vaccines it might need.

kenny thomas":1g0opo5g said:
JosieBlue":1g0opo5g said:
Ok, your vet and I may be talking about 2 different types of vaccine. I buy calves every week and with minutes of being unloaded they are vaccinated for possible shipping fever, given 7 way, pinkeye vaccine, wormed, implanted, and castrated if needed. If your calf is a highland and weighs 230 it may be several months old and it sure is old enough for any vaccines it might need.

My vets are saying the same. They don't want to vaccinate and worm until the calves are four months old. I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say that policy is risking calves' lives for the sake of convenience.
Six weeks is plenty old enough for the first tetanus vaccine, followed up by a booster four weeks later.
I do the tetanus (clostridia 5in1) vaccine myself and worm them myself, then get the vet to do the lepto vaccination when they're older (farmers aren't allowed to handle the lepto vaccine here). That's all I vaccinate for, other areas will have different needs.

Worm them if they're at grass, otherwise the young calves can wait till they've been weaned. Dual actives are preferred (in case of resistant worms) - your best advice will be from someone local who knows what parasites you might be dealing with.