How to market

Help Support CattleToday:

jayh

Reaction score
I want some advice on how to market some cull cows.

I am selling off 5 cows that have bad udders. They have calves on them but they are only 2 weeks old.

Do I need to keep till almost end of year and then split them off? This seems like my best money making option. Or sell in August with calves at their side.

Cows will NOT go back to a farm. They need to go.

1982vett":1r3ai0xv said:
I'd say the worst time of the year to sell cull cows is December....

So what is your suggestion? Sell in August and split the calves off.

Oh man! Going to put me on the spot now...lol...

So many things come into play making decisions like that but generally when I decide a cow needs culling it's very hard for me to "hold for a better market" or think "I'll hold her and see if I can get her to gain some weight. I have the grass for that anyway." You always run the risk you find her dead tomorrow...maybe a sick or dead calf......

Best I can do for advise right now is ask how your grass situation is holding out. Which would be more benificial to your operation...$100 less you get for a cow or pasture with one less cow? If you are going to replace them... That could be looked at as a "sideways move". Your buying and selling in the same market conditions (although potential replacement sellers don't see it that way and ignore a weaker market). Potential gains are better calves next go round. We all have goals that aren't visabal to others as well.

I spotted a pair yesterday where the calf looks like it isn't getting everthing it needs...could just be a genetic thing. Calf is two months old, cow is as fat as she was when she had it. Grass is extremely short. Something isn't going right for the calf and I'd bet it's mama. She missed the trailer several months ago because she was so close to calving...back when the cows I sold averaged 74 cents... 10 - 15 cents off that price now... That's the risk I took, probably can still at least "break even" dollar wise, but pasture may have been better off if she wasn't on it.

My comment about selling between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Holidays...everyone wants off to spend with family....everyone tries to slow things down to accomodate. Slaughter cow prices fall till the pipeline returns to normal.

Unknows are always the risk...may be a super strong calf market that makes up any lower cow income. Can the "bad udderd" cows raise a top notch calf in order for the calf to bring top money?
Sometimes, "A bird in the had is worth two in the bush."

1982vett":1i9smqle said:
Oh man! Going to put me on the spot now...lol...

So many things come into play making decisions like that but generally when I decide a cow needs culling it's very hard for me to "hold for a better market" or think "I'll hold her and see if I can get her to gain some weight. I have the grass for that anyway." You always run the risk you find her dead tomorrow...maybe a sick or dead calf......

Best I can do for advise right now is ask how your grass situation is holding out. Which would be more benificial to your operation...$100 less you get for a cow or pasture with one less cow? If you are going to replace them... That could be looked at as a "sideways move". Your buying and selling in the same market conditions (although potential replacement sellers don't see it that way and ignore a weaker market). Potential gains are better calves next go round. We all have goals that aren't visabal to others as well.

I spotted a pair yesterday where the calf looks like it isn't getting everthing it needs...could just be a genetic thing. Calf is two months old, cow is as fat as she was when she had it. Grass is extremely short. Something isn't going right for the calf and I'd bet it's mama. She missed the trailer several months ago because she was so close to calving...back when the cows I sold averaged 74 cents... 10 - 15 cents off that price now... That's the risk I took, probably can still at least "break even" dollar wise, but pasture may have been better off if she wasn't on it.

My comment about selling between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Holidays...everyone wants off to spend with family....everyone tries to slow things down to accomodate. Slaughter cow prices fall till the pipeline returns to normal.

Unknows are always the risk...may be a super strong calf market that makes up any lower cow income. Can the "bad udderd" cows raise a top notch calf in order for the calf to bring top money?
Sometimes, "A bird in the had is worth two in the bush."

Good answer. I have the grass and they will be ok calves. I will probably sell them first part of august. I have made a few changes in my job situation and wont have much time off till end of year.